Exercising alone vs with a companion

Options
2»

Replies

• deannakittygirl
    deannakittygirl Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    for the most part I prefer to workout alone. I do have one friend that I meet at the pool about once each month and I enjoy that. I do a lot of power walking and jogging now that weather is nice. I don't want to feel like I'm holding anyone back since I'm a slower jogger (I'm short so shorter stride), not that anyone really wants to go jogging. I guess I feel its just easier to not rely on someone else. I'm doing this for my benefit and on my own schedule. we need to be our own motivator or it may not stick.
  • dandandee
    dandandee Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I like both.. it all depends on the friend too though. I don't want someone joining me who will treat the workout like a coffee date.

Working out with the right friend gives me extra motivation and the opportunity to try new exercises, however exercising alone gives me time to just get in the zone and meditate kind of.
  • RobynMWilson
    RobynMWilson Posts: 1,540 Member
    Options
    I've always worked out alone at home, besides everyone on my workout videos lol, so I guess I'm the same way. I will participate in group exercise, but when I'm exercising, I'm EXERCISING so walking while chatting with someone, to me, is far below my usual workout! I don't feel self conscious in a class, but one on one I kinda do. I think it goes back to being obese in gym class as a kid and being so out of shape I didn't perform half as well as my class mates...
  • ashesfromfire
    ashesfromfire Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I'm with you. I prefer a solo workout. However, I have a friend that really needs my encouragement to go to the gym and wants me to text her whenever I'm going and she comes and meets me. I'm willing to be that support to her because she needs/wants it, but that being said....I don't tell her every single time I go
  • traceylynns
    traceylynns Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Both I like taking classes and lifting with friends. but if I am going to run or something I like to just put on my tunes and go!!
  • jorge_007
    jorge_007 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I rather run alone because I'm free to run at my pace and not have to rubber-band (slow down for the most part.) And the fact that most people don't like running at all, especially running everyday.
  • ggxx100
    ggxx100 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. Working out is often my stress relief, as well as a safe place for me to zone out.

But it definitely varies depending upon the type of exercise. In terms of cardio, or more specifically kickboxing (only form of cardio I ever do haha), I always like to be alone. Someone watching me attack a punching bag would be pointless.

However, with weights, I've found it's an extra boost to have a companion. It's also logistically hard some days to work out without a buddy. Although I've had to resort to random kind souls spotting me in the gym, I'd rather it be my boyfriend or trainer and not some burly man sweating on me while I do my last reps. :grumble:
  • jenstanley13
    jenstanley13 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I usually workout alone, early in the morning to start my day; helps me prepare physically and mentally for what lies ahead.

8488541.png

^^^this is me...i workout alone to get my day started and mind focused....plus this is my "me" time where i dont have to think of anyone but me and my goals.
  • Shan790
    Shan790 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I prefer alone. I some times go with my best friend but usually for a yoga class.
  • mrshoneydew
    mrshoneydew Posts: 253
    Options
    I walk alone. :smile: More seriously, to work out with someone else regularly requires organization, the same schedule, similar goals, similar levels of fitness, similar attitudes on challenging oneself. Dealing with the one person I can't avoid is more than enough.
    Definitely this.

The exception would be my husband. He needs help getting back in shape and I would like to take him to the gym with me to help him because my gym lets me bring a partner for free. He walks with a cane and has bum knees so he would probably do his own thing at the pace he was comfortable with and I would do mine.

I tried the work out buddy thing once but I felt awkward and one of us was always waiting for the other one to be done and it eventually fell apart because our schedules were not cohesive. And when it comes to taking walks, I walk no slower than 4.0 mph and I walk for miles and very few people seem as enthused about it as I am.
    I also love my music because it helps me with pace. I listen to a lot of electronic music with various tempos to help me speed up and slow down.
  • Proyecto_AN
    Proyecto_AN Posts: 387
    Options
    I always do my training alone. I like to challenge myself.
  • Clovergirl143
    Clovergirl143 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree! Walking especially for me is a solitary thing...It's my 'alone time' where I can think, or just not think about anything if I want to. It's definitely theraputic for me as well. Don't let someone pressure you into giving up your time for you. Enjoy your 'me' time! :)