how did you break your plateau? mines been 2 months!

Options
I made a goal in January to lose around 40 pounds by summertime, and in the first two months I lost around 17 pounds. for some reason however, at the end of February or the beginning of march,i've been at a stand still. I list the weight to begin with by reducing my calorie intake to 1200, and whot stuck I started to exercise three times a week but its been little to no progress.i'm 5'9, 17, and right now at 170ish and its so frustrating !!!! right now all I want is for the scale to say 169.whatever but its like no matter what I do it won't budge!I mean yeah I have some screw up days, but the most I ever go is around 1600, and even when I look up my daily caloric intake for height weight and activity level it says its supposed to be around that anyways. I think i'm just in a rut, and my question to you all is, how did you break out of your weight loss plateau to continue losing weight??

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    You're not eating enough. Your metabolism is probably messed up from starving yourself at this point. Eat 1600.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    You gotta mix it up somehow, change your exercies or your diet. Your body needs to get shocked again out of your comfort zone. I'm kind of plateauing too...I honestly don't want to exercise anymore than I already do, because I think it would be too much...and I don't want to eat less, because I would feel like I'm depriving myself.
  • Mtleiker
    Mtleiker Posts: 160
    Options
    I arrayed for what seemed to be 6 weeks. I worked hard ate great and lost nothing. First of all I increased my calories slowly to 1500 ( I'm only 5 ft 0" so I was hesitant to do tht for a long time ) SECONDLY I COMPLETELY changed my exercise routine n started doing totally new workout LASTLY I incorporated strength / weight training( which again I was afraid to do cause I thought I would bulk up) and drum roll ! I lost 3 lbs in tht one week alone.
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    I arrayed for what seemed to be 6 weeks. I worked hard ate great and lost nothing. First of all I increased my calories slowly to 1500 ( I'm only 5 ft 0" so I was hesitant to do tht for a long time ) SECONDLY I COMPLETELY changed my exercise routine n started doing totally new workout LASTLY I incorporated strength / weight training( which again I was afraid to do cause I thought I would bulk up) and drum roll ! I lost 3 lbs in tht one week alone.

^ this

I love strength training, helps get the sexy shape you want (I love my arms now). No way you can bulk up, that's just what girls who are scared to try say.

Try eating close to 1600 NET a day. If you exercise a lot, you NEED to be eating more!!
  • maggs155
    maggs155 Posts: 258
    Options
    I didnt loose for 10 days and i was on a 1200 calorie thing and i upped my calories and lost three pounds in two days. I think when u eat real low it slows ur metabolism down. This is what i did just this week and it worked for me..
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    Maybe Im not eating enough? Haha it seems so crazy to eat 1600 because I've been on 1200 for so long, but I think I'll give it a try. I have absolutely no problem eating more food:))), i'm just kings worried the weight will come back, should I continue to exercise? Its only 40 min of interval walking/running, I started that like 2 Weeks ago but that didn't help much........any other ways to break this off?
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    Did you continue to experience weightloss even after that? I dunno, i'ma but nervous about increasing calories butt I think thats what I need to do at this point, I still have about25 to go
  • Softrbreeze
    Softrbreeze Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Taking chromium picolinate has worked for me in the past.
  • NataBost
    NataBost Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Pick heavier things up and put them down. Seriously. It's a major game changer.
  • cheliki
    cheliki Posts: 33
    Options
    My calorie intake was 1610 and I was stuck at 15st 1lb for about 2 months. I lowered it to 1500 and I started to lose weight. You need to eat more!

Yes, keep exercising! Thats the thing that I HATE to do but I know I have to do more of it in order to keep losing weight!
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    I started the 5:2 diet to break my plateau x
  • lisagregory01
    lisagregory01 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I'm paying close attention to fat grams and trying to reduce them, but not my calories. Hoping it works! Good luck to you in whatever you decide. Don't give up!
  • gatorginger
    gatorginger Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    I would suggest if your eating 1200 to raise your calories but take baby steps. I would start with raising them to 1300 and eat that for 2 weeks and see how it goes and then when your ready increase it again by 100. I did it this way and every time I increase my calories by 100 I lost weight. I am now maintaining
  • starcyndycyn
    Options
    Yes, you need to exercise--probably more than you are doing. Strength training and cardio combo -- find something you enjoy. Good luck!
  • lornagj45
    lornagj45 Posts: 5
    Options
    I was stuck also, but increased my calorie intake, and lost 2 pounds almost right away! I am so excited as I have reached the 25lb mark, now on to the next 25lbs! Hurray! I dont exercise other than what I do at my 12 hr /day job in the Emergency Room, I have lost 25lbs in 5 months, and I think that is a healthy way to lose, I dont restrict myself either, if I want a donut, I eat one, but I count in in my calories, lol, Good luck everyone! NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER AND MAY THE LORD BLESS YOU ALL!
  • shadowkitty22
    shadowkitty22 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Definitely incorporate a strength training routine. Because even though you might not see the number falling on the scale, you'll begin to see the inches coming off which will make it look like the number on the scale is smaller when you see yourself in the mirror.
  • gettingontrack126
    Options
    I wish I saw this earlier! I did try increasing my calories to 1600 this week butI haven't seen any real progress. Do you think it might have to do with the sudden increase? Perhaps I should take it down to 1400?
  • StArBeLLa87
    StArBeLLa87 Posts: 1,582 Member
    Options
    Can one of you look at my diary and exercise diary I've been slowly upping my calories as well and I've been at 180 for close two weeks now ugh I've came a long ways though

Please :flowerforyou:
  • delyn356
    delyn356 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    When increasing calories you should keep at it and wait for at least a few weeks to a month before readjusting. Just be patient and you will be able to see if your new goal of 1600 calories is working or not.
  • cheshire29
    cheshire29 Posts: 48
    Options
    I upped my calories for 5 weeks by 300+, then dropped back down to 1800 and lost 6lbs in a week. I was skeptical, but it worked for me.