Guacamole; 3 Questions

Options
1) What is your favorite guacamole recipe?

2) What methods of guacamole storage/preservation have you found to be effective in combating The Brown?

3) How much guacamole can one reasonably consume in a single day on a 40/30/30 diet of 1,500-1,600 allotted daily calories? ;)

Why yes, I do have a craving. ;)

Replies

• JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    I keep it simple. Avocados (obviously), lime juice, salt and pepper, red onion, a little tomato and of course cilantro.

I have never stored it for more then a day but I think the lime juice helps plus I will press wax paper on top of it.

:heart: avocados!
  • skinnylynnie74
    skinnylynnie74 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    1) garlic, cilantro, lime juice (onions make me sick). I put it on celery stick, carrot sticks, salad.

2) put Saran Wrap right onto the guacamole or avocado. Smush it down like you are covering playdoh, don't let air between the wrap and the guacamole

3) I eat between 1/4 and 1/2 an avocado most days. It's so good for me, so filling, and I make room in one of my meals for that many calories.i don't know how that works into your calories and macros, because I am not a math mind... Sorry!
  • purpadillo
    purpadillo Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I eat guacamole several times a week. My husband is pretty picky, so mine is very simple.

1 small-Medium Haas Avocado (I usually end up with ~3/4 of it b/c my son likes it plain)
    1 serano pepper
    1 small garlic clove
    1/8 c. cilantro unpacked (this is a guestimate-it's usually a couple of sprigs and I don't measure)
    ~1/3 cup plain yogurt (I make my own with skim milk).

Process the pepper, garlic, and cilantro in a food processor until small. Add yogurt and avocado and process until smooth.

**if I have it around, I will add a splash of lime or lemon juice.
  • seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    toss the pit in with it once you go to store it and that should help keep it from getting brown right away
  • gonnamakeanewaccount
    gonnamakeanewaccount Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I eat guacamole quite often.

I just make it with mashed avocado, lime juice, sea salt, and black pepper. It doesn't need anything else added to it.
  • learning2fly4
    learning2fly4 Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    1) homemade salsa - 1 red pepper, 1 red onion, one small cucumber (kirby is a good size), 1-2 ripe tomatos, 1 spicy pepper of choice. food process all but the tomatoes into small pieces, through in the tomatos for a few quick chops.
    Mix in 1 lime of juice and a 1/2 of lemon and a handful of sprigs of Cilantro, then salt and pepper to taste.

Let it sit for a hour or two, mix 2-3 tables spoons per avacado, or more if you like.

2) i make the guac to use, and keep the avacados in ziplocks with the air sucked out if they are cut.

3) I think it depends on your typical meals. you can use avocado or guac as toppings in place of mayo for example. so as long as you plan your meals you can consume as much fits into your calorie budget.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Avocado, a little garlic, a little salt & pepper, & lime juice (or lemon if I don't have limes) - that's it. Can't stand cilantro, so that weed never touches my guacamole! :tongue:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Avocado, roma tomatoes, spanish onions, cilantro, salt, pepper, lemonORlime. That's it. I only make enough to eat at one sitting. For us that's one avocado per person. We eat it as a side with meat.

My mom however has all kinds of crazy tricks, leave the seed in when storing, press cling wrap right up against it, lemon juice all over the top (for this I'd use a small bowl so there's less guac hitting the air on top). All in all though, it was all too much hassle for me and with little payoff, some still dark areas. That's why I just prefer to finish up what we've made, log my cals, and be done with it. There has literally never been a time I was all "Oh god no, I'm too full, I couldn't possibly eat more guacamole." Never.
  • Sunnyjb
    Sunnyjb Posts: 220
    Options
    1. I just put avo, fresh garlic, sea salt, pepper, lime juice and cilantro in a bowl and squish
    2. no storage cause I eat it all
    3. crap, I don't remember the third question... daydreaming about guac now
  • hollyhock225
    Options
    I agree with other recipe but you may fine saving the pit and leaving it in the guacamole also helps keep it green longe along with pressing plastic wrap directly on the top and storing in shallow air tight container.
  • Kickinkim418
    Kickinkim418 Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I make Pioneer Woman Pico De Gallo with Roma tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, cilantro, red onion, lime juice and salt. I let that set for a while in the fridge.

THEN!!! I mash up avocado and mix the pico de gallo with the avocado...it is DEVINE!!!
  • EmmaB332
    EmmaB332 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I really like the Wholly Guacamole individual serving packs because I never have to worry about "The Brown"!
    http://eatwholly.com/products/wholly-guacamole/classic-snack-pack.html
    They're also a good way to portion control and really portable for lunches.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    1) What is your favorite guacamole recipe?

2) What methods of guacamole storage/preservation have you found to be effective in combating The Brown?

3) How much guacamole can one reasonably consume in a single day on a 40/30/30 diet of 1,500-1,600 allotted daily calories? ;)

Why yes, I do have a craving. ;)

1. My recipe is simple, and good.
    Fresh avocados, diced
    Lime juice to taste
    cilantro
    chopped green onion
    black pepper
    salt
    a little tomato

then you eat the hell out of it.

2. Acid and lack of oxygen. You can vac pack your guacamole, or you can add acid.

3. Depends on how it fits into your macros.
  • EDesq
    EDesq Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Raw right now so I add extra oil: A. Ripe Avocado (1), 1/4 C Olive Oil, blend very smooth. B. Ripe Avocados (2) Diced, 2 Limes juiced, (2) Finely diced Serrano Chiles. Combine Part A with B and stir...dip with Veggies!

Lime will keep it fresh for 2-3 days. It's all about the Avocado and Citrus, everything else is preference and does not matter.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    1. Alton Brown's recipe is amazing!

2. I don't know a great way, but putting cling wrap pressed up on it will help for a little while.
  • shaeni1221
    shaeni1221 Posts: 36
    Options
    right now I make mine with avocados, lime juice, and a little bit of salsa...I just mix it in until it looks good. As soon as my garden starts producing tomatoes and cilantro, I will make it with all fresh ingredients

And when I make it, I eat it until it is gone...so I have never had the problem of how to store it without it turning brown!
  • skinny2be2013
    Options
    1-2 small avocados black skin, 1/4 red chilli ,salt,1 garlic clove, 1/2 small lemon juice, it stays fresh 2 days.
    I wouldnt let myself have more than 350 kcal from the Guacamole a day because of the other vitamins ect your body needs.
  • allisonmrn
    allisonmrn Posts: 721 Member
    Options
    Avocoado, lime, onions, diced tomato, cilantro, salt and pepper
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    1 avocado with 1-2 tbsp salsa. Simple and amazingly good. I tend to not store it but make it right before I want to eat it toa void the browningissue. But if I absolutely HAVE to make it ahead, I leave the pit in with the guac to keep it from getting brown too fast and it works like a charm.
  • BEERRUNNER
    BEERRUNNER Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    What!?!?!?!??!?! No one is chopping up a Jalapeno!?!??!