Polar F6

nicolina823
nicolina823 Posts: 450 Member
edited September 21 in Fitness and Exercise
Hi,
I already read through most of the past HRM questions and didnt see an actual yes or no to this. Just that people love it.

I was wondering if anyone that owns a Polar F6 uses it with the 30 Day Shred, ChaLean or P90X? I cant figure out if it will just record running, walking ans swimming or if it will record circuit training as well.

Thanks

Replies

• Mary_Burris
    Mary_Burris Posts: 120
    Yes! you can use it for any exersize. I use mine for Zumba, Last chance workout with Jillian, anything. I Love mine as well!
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Heart rate monitors record heart rate. The calorie counter feature takes that heart rate data, combines it with your profile setup data, and uses that to estimate calories burned. So, as long as you have a heart rate, the Polar will give you a calorie reading. Whether or not that reading is *accurate* is a completely different story.

HRMs do NOT measure calories---not in any way shape or form. Therefore they are most accurate under conditions in which your heart rate accurately reflects aerobic intensity--i.e. during steady-state aerobic exercise.

When you get into mixed-activity classes--such as the ones you mention, they become less accurate. This is because not all the activities are aerobic, some of the classes emphasize a lot of upper body work, the activities are not steady-state, HRMs cannot accurately estimate calories during strength movements, etc.

It doesn't mean that HRMs aren't valuable--they are, and for classes like the ones you have described, they are, even with their imperfections, the best option available. Just be flexible in how you use the "calories burned" number--don't replace all those calories. (I would start w/no more than 1/2 and see how it works).

Use the HR feature to gauge your intensity so that you can get the most quality out of your workouts. And use the average heart rate number to help track progress. Don't forget that the most important use of a heart rate monitor is as a .........heart rate monitor.
This discussion has been closed.