Extra calories over the weekend

MsElphaba
MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
Had a good weekend with a few extra calories. When I work out today, should I still eat the calories I burn off or call it "even" after the weekend?

Linda

Replies

• BlackBeltLife
    BlackBeltLife Posts: 180
    past is past forget it. Workout today and if your under (slightly) on calorie count so be it. Keep up good work
  • IrishChik
    IrishChik Posts: 465 Member
    When I followed Weight Watchers you could do what they call "bank" points. If you did not eat all of your points in one day, you could bank them and eat them later. You earned points for exercise and could eat those too. If I knew I had a special dinner coming up, I would bank a few points each day to "save" for that meal. I have heard of people doing this with calories as well. The key thing is it resets every week. So if you do not eat them, you can not save them after a week. A week would start/end on the weigh in date.

I do this now with calories. If I go over one day, I try to eat a little less the next or work out a little more. If I know I am going to go out to eat and what something with a little more calories I save a few calories here and there and make sure I have a good work out the day of the event.

At least that is what I try to do! But no one is perfect!!
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Since you had extra on the weekend and it is only Monday, I would (and do) look at my overall 3 day deficit and adjust accordingly. I don't bank for 5 days and I generally try to keep within the day but will go up to three days if necessary.
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    I should clarify, I consumed extra calories, not have them left over. I had a good weekend as in a bit indulgent, not like good I behaved myself.

L
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    I should clarify, I consumed extra calories, not have them left over. I had a good weekend as in a bit indulgent, not like good I behaved myself.

L
    Right so if you ate an extra 500 over Saturday and Sunday, you could run a 500 calorie deficit on Monday and over the 3 days you have balanced out. Depending on how high you have your weekly weight loss set and how much indulgence, you might just not do anything about it and let your body refill its anaerobic fuel reserves and do a better job at repair and healing with the extra nutrients.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    When I followed Weight Watchers you could do what they call "bank" points. If you did not eat all of your points in one day, you could bank them and eat them later. You earned points for exercise and could eat those too. If I knew I had a special dinner coming up, I would bank a few points each day to "save" for that meal. I have heard of people doing this with calories as well. The key thing is it resets every week. So if you do not eat them, you can not save them after a week. A week would start/end on the weigh in date.

This does not work! If you have a "bad" meal, chaulk it up to life and move on. Get back to your diet. Soon you will either 1) realize you need to be more diligent and it will motivate you more or 2) you'll fall off the wagon

Everyone has to realize it is calories in, calories out that causes weight loss. There is no "saving" for later use. If you have one overindulgent meal, move on and get right back to normalcy! That is the only healthy thing that is going to work for a lifetime. If you feel like screw it afterwards, you're not ready and/or serious to make a LIFESTYLE change.

Just my $.02. I used to have the same attitude as everyone 5 years ago, then I made a lifestyle change and have maintained and have only gotten in better shape. And yes, I had wings and french fries yesterday, so today I am just eating my normal stuff and doing my normal workouts. Not trying to flush it out or workout extra or starve myself. That doesn't matter in the long run.
This discussion has been closed.