muscle milk can make you fat???

Options
katya143
katya143 Posts: 313 Member
Hi everyone,
I was wondering about muscle milk and if anyone uses it to lose weight. I use one scoop which is half a serving. My personal trainer is totally against women drinking protien shakes to lose weight. He actually said that it will make us gain weight, because our hormones does not metabolize the way men do and it will be stored as fat, not muscle. I started doing research and am getting similar information to what my PT told me. I want to use it as a meal replacement, because it keeps me full and stick within my calorie goal range. Anyone have any opinions, suggestions??? please share... kat

Replies

• CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    If you eat too many calories, you will get fat. If you don't eat enough calories, you will lose weight. Calories in/calories out. Your PT is probably thinking you're going to add the protein shake without cutting out cal's elsewhere.

It's just food. Really very little diff between a protein shake and a can of tuna,,,
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Look at kaitlinj - who drinks a protein shake everyday after she works out - and tell me it makes you gain weight.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, protein is good to help you stay satiated. A lot of studies also have data showing how it effects various hormones relating to hunger. There was a British study about 6 years ago that showed that increased protein intake helped people maintain weightloss, and sex didn't matter.

I wouldn't just eat how you have been and toss in a protein shake then expect the weight to fall off. It'll help you not feel as hungry and perhaps replace some of the no so good for you things. So, ditto to your first responder. :)
  • buttercupke
    buttercupke Posts: 33
    Options
    Something I use as a meal replacement every now and again is the Special K protein shakes they keep me full and they don't have a lot of calories (180 for 1 bottle) they have protein in them also but I don't drink them every day just when I don't have time to sit down and eat something healthy.
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    Look at kaitlinj - who drinks a protein shake everyday after she works out - and tell me it makes you gain weight.

:blushing:

I've heard the talk about protein powder making women gain weight and I don't understand it myself.

Bodybuilders and thin guys wanting to bulk up and gain muscle typically drink protein shakes to help them add/maintain their muscle mass. However, during a "bulking phase" they also have to eat at a calorie SURPLUS, meaning they need to eat more than they are burning everyday and try to get those extra calories to be stored as muscle and not fat. They do this by lifting a lot of heavy weight and they are helped along by their hormones which, for most men, make it easier to put on muscle mass than it would be for most women.

So, as Casper mentioned, if you were to just ADD protein shakes to your already full diet with no regard for the calories involved and if those extra calories meant that you would be eating more than you were burning (calorie surplus) then, YES, it could be stored as fat because, as your PT mentioned, women don't have the same hormones that would cause us to "bulk up" with muscle. But eating ANY kind of calories at a surplus will cause us to gain weight.

To me it sounds like your PT might not have understood and was only think about protein shakes in terms of how they can be used to bulk up.

I haven't had trouble losing weight while using protein shakes. I drink them post-workout (whey) and occasionally as a meal replacement (casein) because I find that getting 30% of my calories from protein each day helps keep me satiated and helps reduce my cravings for junk carbs. But that's a lot of protein and there are only so many chicken breasts and cans of tuna I can choke down, you know?
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    You can find all kinds of articles by and about female figure models talking about their diets and I bet the majority of them mention whey protein as one of the forms of protein they eat. Now, you might not want to look like a figure model, but no one can claim they are fat!

Fore example: http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/monica4.htm
  • YogaRunner
    YogaRunner Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I agree with those who refute the notion that protein shakes will make you fat. Balance is the key. However, I'd be careful which protein shake you choose. It is scary to me the ingredients the FDA allows in products. For example, here is the ingredient list of the Special K Protein Shake in chocolate:

WATER, PROTEIN BLEND (WATER, NONFAT MILK, WHEY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, SOY PROTEIN ISOLATE), SUGAR, MALTODEXTRIN, CONTAINS TWO PERCENT OR LESS OF POLYDEXTROSE, CANOLA OIL, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, NATURAL AND ARTIFICIAL FLAVORS, MAGNESIUM PHOSPHATE, TRICALCIUM PHOSPHATE, GELLAN GUM, CELLULOSE GUM, SOY LECITHIN, MONO- AND DIGLYCERIDES, POTASSIUM CITRATE, ASCORBIC ACID (VITAMIN C), SALT, POTASSIUM PHOSPHATE, CARRAGEENAN, SUCRALOSE, CORN SYRUP SOLIDS, VITAMIN E ACETATE, VITAMIN K1, ACESULFAME POTASSIUM, NIACINAMIDE, VITAMIN D3, CALCIUM PANTOTHENATE, VITAMIN B12, ZINC SULFATE, VITAMIN A PALMITATE, FERRIC PYROPHOSPHATE, PYRIDOXINE HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B6), RIBOFLAVIN (VITAMIN B2), MANGANESE SULFATE, THIAMIN HYDROCHLORIDE (VITAMIN B1), POTASSIUM IODIDE, FOLIC ACID, BIOTIN, CHROMIUM CHLORIDE, SODIUM MOLYBDATE, SODIUM SELENITE. SWEETENED WITH NUTRITIVE SWEETENERS AND NONNUTRITIVE SWEETENERS.

First off, one of the top ingredients is sugar giving the product 18 grams of sugar! That's a lot! Then, there's the other ingredients like corn syrup solids and sucralose, gellan gum and cellulose gum (these are thickeners and stabilizers also found in hair products!) and then there are nutritive sweeteners and nonnutritive sweeteners. More sugar. Great. IMHO this and many other mass market produced health drinks are chemicals in a bottle that are not healthy for us at all. They are cheap to make and therefore inexpensive for consumers. That does not make them healthy.

I drink Shakeology which has whey protein and numerous other ingredients my body can use, like probiotics and superfoods. And there are plenty of whey protein powders on the market that are healthy that you can mix with your own milk or whatever if you don't want the other ingredients listed in Special K.

If this post sounds irritated, its because I am annoyed with the food industry that is contributing to the weight problem we have in this country by making products with chemicals and non nutritious ingredients and tricking people into thinking they are doing something healthy for themselves.
  • katya143
    katya143 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone!