Jogging with fitbit?

Options
bonniejo
bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
Ok, maybe this is a dumb question but I'm going to ask it anyway. I just got the zip. If I log my jog and what time it was at/how long, does the fitbit take that into account? Or does it count it twice?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    If you log the jog on MFP with the correct time, when it syncs with fitbit website, the calories you logged for your jog will replace whatever the fitbit had recorded for that time period.
  • bonniejo
    Options
    If you log the jog on MFP with the correct time, when it syncs with fitbit website, the calories you logged for your jog will replace whatever the fitbit had recorded for that time period.

Thank you!
  • kar1pik
    kar1pik Posts: 1
    Options
    I was a bit curious how that worked as well. I synced my fitbit and I had almost 10K steps and it gave me only 83 additional calories, but when I logged my walk for the day of 55 minutes the calorie count added was over 1000! Does not make sense. Anyone?
  • sunset1004
    sunset1004 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I have had the most luck with not tracking exercise at all on mfp and just going with the calorie adjustment sent over from fitbit. When I do activities the fitbit doesn't track well (like weight lifting or biking) I use the fitbit timer and adjust the calories on fitbits website.
  • Bonny619
    Bonny619 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    That is exactly what I do.
    I have had the most luck with not tracking exercise at all on mfp and just going with the calorie adjustment sent over from fitbit. When I do activities the fitbit doesn't track well (like weight lifting or biking) I use the fitbit timer and adjust the calories on fitbits website.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I was a bit curious how that worked as well. I synced my fitbit and I had almost 10K steps and it gave me only 83 additional calories, but when I logged my walk for the day of 55 minutes the calorie count added was over 1000! Does not make sense. Anyone?

Sometimes the time gets messed up in the sync process. I've logged exercise at 3:30 pm on MFP, but when I checked fitbit had it for 10 am. This of course meant I was getting double credit. I then edited the time on fitbit, to make it correct. But you definitely have to make sure you put in the correct starting time, or you will get extra calories.
  • bonniejo
    Options
    So I tried just deleting all the workouts I'd done, and it gave me more calories than my HRM said I burned (by about 200!) I'm thinking of just going with it but setting both MFP and fitbit to a 750 calorie/day deficit to adjust. Do you think that's a good idea?
  • bonniejo
    Options
    Okay, I figured it out. The time was being all wonky on one of my exercises, so I kept trying to change it. Tried like 8 times. It logged on fitbit 8 times lol
  • MrsBioChem
    MrsBioChem Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have stopped trying to log my walking, jogging, or running in MFP. It tends to double count my calories untill about 35 hours later. Plus the MFP estimate is overly generous on what it expects me to burn for the remainder of a day. Example, Sunday is done; I burned 1988 calories for the day. I last synced the fitbit at 1am. MFPs estimate says 2300 for the day, the day that is already over...
  • bonniejo
    Options
    I have stopped trying to log my walking, jogging, or running in MFP. It tends to double count my calories untill about 35 hours later. Plus the MFP estimate is overly generous on what it expects me to burn for the remainder of a day. Example, Sunday is done; I burned 1988 calories for the day. I last synced the fitbit at 1am. MFPs estimate says 2300 for the day, the day that is already over...

Yeah, I think I won't log jogs. But I will log my turbofire workouts, because those are more than steps.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,688 Member
    Options
    I think if you have mfp sinc'ed with fitbit app it will automatically log. But you can disable this if you want to do it manually
  • catolerico
    catolerico Posts: 25
    Options
    I just go with the calorie adjustment from my Fitbit. It's not 100% accurate (esp. on days when I lift) but I'm sure there are things I miss logging to so it probably evens out in the end. Plus, it's one less thing to have to remember and log at the end of the day :)
  • cornevanetten
    Options
    sunset1004 wrote: »

• cornevanetten
    Options
    sunset1004 wrote: »
    And, it does send everything to MFP, so all callory input in Fitbit, also the exercises with timer? And also the stairs, now It seems that only adjustment for steps are sent to MFP?