GYM!

Options
Tomorrow I am going to join a gym with my sister. I have always been kind of self conscious even when I wasn't over weight. Just wondering what other people experienced there first time at the gym and if it was as nerve wrecking as they thought it would be. Some problems I will also be dealing with is bone problems, tendonitis, asthma, severe stomach pains on occasion. I want to hear thoughts from people without any of these problems too, but if you had any of these or others I would like to know how you dealt with them.

Replies

• recoveringrox
    Options
    I can see where you'd have anxiety going to a gym for the first time, but there is honestly NO reason to be self-conscious whatsoever! Most of the people there aren't intimidating; besides, they're all there to work out, not stare at you!

What I did was the first time I started using the machines/weights, I went there with someone who was experienced so I didn't make a fool of myself, haha.

As for the health problems, I have no experience. However, I do have chronic ankle/knee problems, so I try to avoid the treadmill as much as possible. You'll probably learn what to steer clear of in the beginning! Have fun and get your workout on!
  • Felecia1923
    Felecia1923 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback. I appreciate it.
  • joyjay4fun
    joyjay4fun Posts: 160
    Options
    Agree with the previous poster, most people are soo evolved in their workout they dont even notice you unless youre half naked which a lot of the foks in the gym are but thats another story lol. I dont like to use the weight room when its crowded myself, not because of fear but it just seems some people are very impatient and are like idly hanging near the machine you may be on because that is what is next in their routine and that irks me. So now I go at a time when there is minimal use and I dont feel scared or worried about being in the way.
    Start out slow, I have horrible knees but I find that I like the elliptical and bike. I also walk on the treadmill because for me its a smoother surface than walking outside and after 4-5 of my favorite songs Im already passed 20 minutes and it doesnt seem like it. Find the best equipment for you and take time to try each and see what you can tolerate and cant tolerate but I would steer clear of stair stepper/stair masters if you have really bad joints. :-)
  • hhayes06
    hhayes06 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    My first time going into the gym I was nervous as hell! I use the gym at work so not only was I going to know the people that were in there but I work with a bunch of cops and the ones that were in there are the ones who are heavy lifters. I felt so silly walking in there and getting on the treadmill then just walking fast. But, after those first 5 minutes all the nervousness left and I was excited. I honestly think I would not have been so nervous if I went to a gym where I didn't know anyone. I don't care what strangers think of me but I do care what my coworkers think. Go in with a plan and have fun, this is about you and not the other people at the gym.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anybody at my gym notices me or not. I'm a people watcher, though, so I get a kick out of observing the people around me. I try not to be judgmental.

I kinda feel like, I'm trying hard to improve myself, so I try not to care what people think. If they don't like how I look, there's a skinny girl over there on the treadmill, they can look at her instead.
  • Tailsisshar
    Options
    I've always hated gyms, but i'm not motivated to use my home set up , so its one of those things you have to learn to deal with :) Unfortunately at the gym i used to go to , people did often stare and were rude/annoying more often then not. Easiest way to tune people out is to have really loud music (and earphones! :P ) whenever possible. Am curious if anyone else has experience that thing where for the first 20 or so minutes of working out you feel great, energized and motivated.....then it stops suddenly and the whole thing sucks and you have to force yourself thru it??
  • sexymuffintop
    sexymuffintop Posts: 636
    Options
    At my gym there are literally all shapes and sizes of people. The only people I generally notice are the ones using the same weights/machines I need to. It doesn't really even register to me if people look unfit etc, as I just kinda do what I do with my headphones in and get on with what I need to do. I do remember the anxiety about first joining the gym though. I still get it now if I have to change gyms and I've been a regular gym goer for the best part of 12 years now. The first time will be daunting but I think anything you are scared about and manage to overcome is a great achievement, and helps build confidence.