Which (adjustable) dumbbells do you like?

Options
I work out at home, and I am thinking about getting some adjustable dumbbells (5 - 50 lbs.), because my 12 pound pair is the heaviest I own. I came across the Bowflex (SelectTech 552) dumbbells and also the PowerBlock (Classic 50 Plus dumbbells).

I was just wondering what you thought of them. Do you like them? Is there another brand or type of adjustable dumbbells that you would recommend instead? (I saw some complaints on Amazon about weights falling off the Bowflex dumbbells, and the plastic breaking, so that got me a little worried, and that's why I started looking at the PowerBlock ones). Thanks!

Replies

• Oceantech
    Oceantech Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I've heard really good things about the ironmaster: http://www.ironmaster.com/Quick-Lock-Dumbbells/
    I'm thinking about picking up a set myself.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I have this set:
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gold-s-Gym-40-lb-Adjustable-Dumbbell-Set/21672511

I can buy heavier weights to slide on at walmart when I'm ready. :drinker:
  • rpandolfoj
    rpandolfoj Posts: 4
    Options
    bump
  • Alison12121
    Alison12121 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I'll take a look at those two.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I love my select techs.
  • Alison12121
    Options
    Thanks, I really like those too.
  • kabakken
    kabakken Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have the powerblock sportblock 3-24 lbs adjustable dumbbells and they are AWESOME. Easy to change weight ( as long as you set them on a flat surface to change - carpet doesn't work so well.)

I'd recommend scouring Craigslist to save some money.
  • liz827
    liz827 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I have the Select Techs and love them! I got them off of Craigslist and they were in great condition. I would definitely check there first.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    i have select techs and loved them ..now I work out at the gym so do not use them as much ..

why don't you take that money and joining a gym ..you will get better benefit out of it IMO
  • Alison12121
    Options
    I really appreciate your feedback! Craiglist is a great idea. I didn't even think about that. :smile:

You're right that I would probably get more out of a gym membership. I've been working out at home so I don't give myself a chance to make any excuses. Right now, if I had to go to the gym to work out, I probably wouldn't go as much as I should.