Seeking Guidelines Please aka Confusion Reigns

Options
Hi all,

Trev from Australia here. I'm currently 99.7kg or 220 lbs, I'm 6'1' so don't look obese or anything, but I do look Fat. Embarrassed to the max, so much so when adult kids come home & want to swim in pool, I don't get in as I'm too ashamed to be seen by my own kids.

I'm 57 and I want to look and feel Good. I want Health in my life, I want exercise in my life and I don't want to be scared of food anymore.

I've now been actively doing something for 9 days and whilst I've progressively dropped about 4lbs over that time, I weighed in again today and was disheartened to find it's back. I've been under my calorie intake most days and been exercising on a treadmill 3 times/week (fast walk) for 30 minutes. I'm not going doom and gloom as I'm determined to make this time work. Obviously though I'm doing something wrong?

As stated, most days i'm under my calorie goal and average out at 1180 calories, yet the tracker says I'm impeding my weight loss by maybe putting the body in a starvation phase but Really??? Like I'm not eating that much under what the recommended is and I figure if my body has decided to think I'm in starvation and slow my metabolism down, then it's only a matter of time before the bod is forced to concede ...... Right?

Or do I just need Patience!

I'm hopeful you folk can help me out to reveal where I'm getting it wrong, I'd really appreciate any help.
I've only been here a short time, but woww so many of you folk look wonderful, congratulations to all who are there and all who are doing.

Regards Trev

Replies

• GenesisandEden
    GenesisandEden Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different I eat 1500 to 1800 and exercise regularly. Biking and lifting heavy. I get on the scale every 30 to 45 days because the fluctuations drove me nuts. I cleaned up my food and eat to my meter (diabetic). It took me a year to find what works for me. Good luck to you=) do research and I hope you find what works best for you
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I think 1200cals per day is too little for a man of your size.

Did you eat a lot of carbs or sodium in the past couple of days? We can't tell because your diary is closed. But, the weight you've lost and gained is likely to be water weight.

9 days isn't long. You have to get it more time. But I'd give it more time on a higher intake, then After 4 -6 weeks, re-evaluate.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I think you should figure out your BMR and TDEE. Then eat somewhere between the two numbers.

For example using my husbands stats and heybales spreadsheet:

Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 225lbs
    Estimated BF%: 26.49%

TDEE: 3099
    BMR: 1990
    20% Deficit: 2480
    1.2lbs estimated fat loss (not necessarily weight)

Now I'll change the age to 57 and increase the BF% by 2%, I get this now:

TDEE: 3032
    BMR: 1947
    20% Deficit: 2425
    1.2lbs estimated fat loss (not necessarily weight, but will result in more inches lost)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Body weight can fluctuate tremendously. As long as the general trend is down, then you're fine. Weight loss is not linear, meaning, you're not always going to lose according to the numbers. I've had weeks where I should've lost 1+ lbs and lost nothing or even gained, and weeks where I should have gained or not lost anything, but have posted a loss. But, overall, I've lost over 25 lbs.

Also, you really are eating too few calories. All "starvation mode" issues aside, don't make this any harder on yourself than it needs to be! Eat! You need calories to do stuff!!! MFP sets it at 1200 when you put in that you want to lose 2 lbs a week, but it's really too little for most people, and especially for you since you are so tall.

Finally, whatever you do, don't quit! The only way you can do it is just not giving up. You got this!
  • Maddius
    Maddius Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different I eat 1500 to 1800 and exercise regularly. Biking and lifting heavy. I get on the scale every 30 to 45 days because the fluctuations drove me nuts. I cleaned up my food and eat to my meter (diabetic). It took me a year to find what works for me. Good luck to you=) do research and I hope you find what works best for you

Thanks, I'm thinking ditch the scales from daily to maybe each week, but I'd like to know if I'm on track mainly, I'll do research as you suggest though. Thanks
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options
    You are undereating by far.

Also, I read everything in your OP with an Australian accent in my head.
  • Maddius
    Options
    I think 1200cals per day is too little for a man of your size.

Did you eat a lot of carbs or sodium in the past couple of days? We can't tell because your diary is closed. But, the weight you've lost and gained is likely to be water weight.

9 days isn't long. You have to get it more time. But I'd give it more time on a higher intake, then After 4 -6 weeks, re-evaluate.

On the 1200 I was hoping to kick the weight direction faster downward, as I figured the body would finally have to adapt to the lowered food intake. I'm also honestly not hungry for more though.

Thanks for the alert, I didn't realise my diary was closed (now open). I'm not a fan of salt so that shouldn't be an issue and I think the carbs are OK.

You're right, 9 days isn't long and a real assessment of change will only be possible in about 6 weeks, so I'll keep you all posted.
    Patience and Perseverance needed on my part.

Thanks for the reply
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

Did he sound like Crocodile Dundee to you?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,026 Member
    Options

Did he sound like Crocodile Dundee to you?

Nope, the guy from the Fosters Beer commercial.
  • Maddius
    Options
    I think you should figure out your BMR and TDEE. Then eat somewhere between the two numbers.

1.2lbs estimated fat loss (not necessarily weight, but will result in more inches lost)

Thanks, but I'm a little lost (haven't fully explored the web site) Forgive my ignorance, but I'd guessing BMR is basil metabolic rate? TDEE is ? I'm guessing total daily something? BF I'm surmising is body fat percentage? How'd I go?
    More Importantly, how do I figure them out?

I appreciate the time you went to for your reply thanks.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options

Thanks, but I'm a little lost (haven't fully explored the web site) Forgive my ignorance, but I'd guessing BMR is basil metabolic rate? TDEE is ? I'm guessing total daily something? BF I'm surmising is body fat percentage? How'd I go?
    More Importantly, how do I figure them out?

I appreciate the time you went to for your reply thanks.

TDEE = Total Daily Energy Expenditure
    BMR = Basal Metabolic Rate
    BF = Body Fat

This is a good thread for more information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976981-welcome-to-mfp-don-t-worry-there-s-cliff-notes?hl=welcome+to+MFP
  • Maddius
    Options
    Body weight can fluctuate tremendously. As long as the general trend is down, then you're fine. Weight loss is not linear, meaning, you're not always going to lose according to the numbers. I've had weeks where I should've lost 1+ lbs and lost nothing or even gained, and weeks where I should have gained or not lost anything, but have posted a loss. But, overall, I've lost over 25 lbs.

Also, you really are eating too few calories. All "starvation mode" issues aside, don't make this any harder on yourself than it needs to be! Eat! You need calories to do stuff!!! MFP sets it at 1200 when you put in that you want to lose 2 lbs a week, but it's really too little for most people, and especially for you since you are so tall.

Finally, whatever you do, don't quit! The only way you can do it is just not giving up. You got this!

Thanks for this, it's sound advice, I'm getting from all of you who are doing it and achieving. Congrats on your 25 lbs to date, Impressive.

Don't worry about me quitting, I'm here and I'm staying for the journey and beyond to then help others I hope.
  • kwagganin
    kwagganin Posts: 34
    Options
    Toss the scale entirely! Its evil! Measure yourself and then every 2-3 weeks. Weigh once a month if you have to. Take pics everytime you've measured. You'll be surprised by the change you see. Eat more! I'm 1.67m and weigh 73.5kg. Ill die of hunger if I have to eat so little. Don't give up, it takes time to lose weight. Eat clean and do your worlouts. It'll be worth it!
  • Maddius
    Options

See that's the thing, I'm not too far under the 1320 calories that came up for me and most of the time I'm not hungry as 'the bloat' thing is still alive and well : -( Plus I don't want to cram any extra in after 9 PM or so, I don't think it's healthy going to bed at 10 or so with a stomach full of food.

Hope I made your day with my Aussie accent lol.
  • Maddius
    Options
    This is a good thread for more information:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/976981-welcome-to-mfp-don-t-worry-there-s-cliff-notes?hl=welcome+to+MFP
    [/quote]

Thanks, I'll check it out.
  • nz_deevaa
    Options

See that's the thing, I'm not too far under the 1320 calories that came up for me and most of the time I'm not hungry as 'the bloat' thing is still alive and well : -( Plus I don't want to cram any extra in after 9 PM or so, I don't think it's healthy going to bed at 10 or so with a stomach full of food.

Hope I made your day with my Aussie accent lol.

I ran your numbers here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

and got 2371 as your TDEE.

Take 20% off that, and got approx 1,900 cals a day. If you want you could go lower than that, but I wouldn't advise you to go lower than 1,700.
  • Maddius
    Options
    Toss the scale entirely! Its evil! Measure yourself and then every 2-3 weeks. Weigh once a month if you have to. Take pics everytime you've measured. You'll be surprised by the change you see. Eat more! I'm 1.67m and weigh 73.5kg. Ill die of hunger if I have to eat so little. Don't give up, it takes time to lose weight. Eat clean and do your worlouts. It'll be worth it!

Thanks, good advice. The scales got so bad I was using them pre shower and post shower daily and sometimes finding differences of 300 gms or 0.5 lb (scales are good ones btw), THAT I can't figure out.

Weighing in every 2 weeks sounds doable, not so sure about taking pics, I don't even look at myself in the mirror these days.
    Not giving up, no way, looking for some reassurance and guidance I guess.

My Beloved is cooking so clean these days it's a wonder I even need a shower, zero sugar on a lot of stuff, minimal fats etc. etc. yet it still tastes great. The workouts are taking a bit of work, at the moment I'm content if I get into the gym to just do a brisk walk on the treadmill for 30 minutes 3 times/week. I'm looking to build the habit at the minute and figure the real exercise will begin in a short time.
  • Maddius
    Options
    I ran your numbers here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Take 20% off that, and got approx 1,900 cals a day. If you want you could go lower than that, but I wouldn't advise you to go lower than 1,700.
    [/quote]

That's weird as MFP came up with the 1320 cals figure?
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options

That's weird as MFP came up with the 1320 cals figure?
    [/quote]

MFP came up with 1320 because you wanted to lose the weight fast. Its not a good goal though. You ARE under-eating because at your height 1320 cals is a silly amount to eat (yes I understand you are not feeling super hungry at the moment). I'm only 5'3 and need to eat around 1500 a day.

If you continue to eat so few cals, even if you lose weight it is VERY likely that your body will plateau - your body has assumed that you are not eating enough and it will cling to any cals you do put in. It is likely that you some of the weight you lose eating 1320 cals will be muscle mass. Also eating 1320 is a good way to stuff up your metabolism, when you start to eat more than 1320 your weight will jump up. Ie it is the same as yoyo dieting and is not sustainable long term