Biggest Loser Kitchen Scale

snookeroo
snookeroo Posts: 2,000 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I just bought THE BIGGEST LOSER Glass Digital Kitchen Scale by TAYLOR (#3831BL).
I am not finding it to be 100% accurate. (i.e. I just weighed a bagel that the package said should be 99g, but the scale weighed it at 105g.)
I was wondering if anyone else owns this scale?
Do you find it to be accurate?
Do kitchen scales tend to be spot on or is it alway give or take?

Taylor also makes this same scale without The Biggest Loser name on it.

Replies

• mamaturner
    mamaturner Posts: 2,447 Member
    Did you weigh each bagel to make sure it wasn't that bagel that happened to weigh 6 extra grams. Often company's weight the package rather than each individual product. Otherwise, test your scale with an item you know the exact weight of. Good luck
  • MelsaEstel
    MelsaEstel Posts: 56 Member
    That is just the average weight for that product. It is not always going to be the same weight as the next item. As long as you are still very close, it will be fine. Just make sure that you log the actual measurement, not the packaging. :)
    I have a little kitchen scale (nothing nice like you have, mine was like $5 at the store), and I love mine. It really helps to see what a portion actually is, not what I estimate it to be. Sometimes I WAY overestimate, and get to add more food to my plate, other times I way underestimate, and have to put some back. But it's great for keeping portions real, not the inflated sizes that we see everywhere!

Enjoy!
    Oh-make sure that you zero your scale every so often to avoid wrong readings.
  • jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    I also have the biggest loser kitchen scale and I had never really thought about the accuracy of it until just now! So I weighed all of the english muffins left in the package, the package said it should be 52g and the scale said 55g, 55g, 54, and 52g! So now I think that the package is a rough estimate! I don't like that too much!
  • jaylu
    jaylu Posts: 158
    i weigh all my food on kitchen scale (its prob kinda sad that i find it quite interesting) but a lot of the time the weight on the packaging and the weight on the scale differ, not by a lot tho but i figured that each item packaged cant always be the exact weight stated and is in fact just an average. also kinda on the same note...

do you guys log the weight of your banana with the skin on or after you have peeled it, weighing only the bit that your actually consuming? same goes form oranges etc??
  • jenjen84
    jenjen84 Posts: 117 Member
    I had never even thought to do that Jaylu, but it makes total sense I am not eating the peel. Thank you so much, I will be weighing later!
  • snookeroo
    I have a little kitchen scale (nothing nice like you have, mine was like $5 at the store), and I love mine.

This scale was very inexpensive. I bought it at Bed, Bath & Beyond. Regular price is $19.99 and I had a $5.00 coupon = $14.99.
    Target has the exact same scale without the Biggest Loser name on it, for $29.99.
  • snookeroo
    That is just the average weight for that product. It is not always going to be the same weight as the next item. As long as you are still very close, it will be fine. Just make sure that you log the actual measurement, not the packaging. :)
    I have a little kitchen scale (nothing nice like you have, mine was like $5 at the store), and I love mine. It really helps to see what a portion actually is, not what I estimate it to be. Sometimes I WAY overestimate, and get to add more food to my plate, other times I way underestimate, and have to put some back. But it's great for keeping portions real, not the inflated sizes that we see everywhere!

Enjoy!
    Oh-make sure that you zero your scale every so often to avoid wrong readings.

I found that "eyeing up" my half cup of ice cream was quite generous compared to the scale's actual measurement of 66g :sad:
  • snookeroo
    Well, after "testing" the scale for the whole day, I'd have to say it is VERY accurate. It seems the bagel was a little off.
    Great scale for a great price!
This discussion has been closed.