Dizzy easily

Options
Hi, I have been trying to lose weight for a few months but I can't exercise without becoming really dizzy. I don't see the problem, I drink lots of water and I eat decently, but when I exercise I become very dizzy, even without much effort or minutes into exercising. I have been doing pull ups, crunches, jumping jacks and power walking. Is there something I can do to help the dizziness?

Replies

• ContraryMaryMary
    ContraryMaryMary Posts: 1,685 Member
    Options
    What's your blood pressure?
  • charles877
    charles877 Posts: 17
    Options
    I don't regularly check my BP but the past two months its been between 120/80 - 130/90
    not too bad, right?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    it could be any number of things

it could be that you're not eating enough carbohydrates... solution: make sure you eat enough carbohydrates for your activity level, including carbohydrates in the meal before you work out (doesn't have to be directly before, some people puke if they eat too close to working out).

It could be that you're not eating enough calories for your body and activity levels... solution: go to the "in place of a road map" thread and see how much you should be eating, and eat that much

It could be low blood pressure... making sure you're adequately hydrated and avoiding standing up too quickly can help but you may need to see a doctor if it's bad enough that it's stopping you from exercising.

Low iron levels (anaemia) can result in this, although it's a lot less likely in men. If you're male, vegan and working out, you could be low in iron. Male non-vegans rarely get this problem, and if they do it could be a sign of an underlying medical condition. (women are a lot more likely to get low iron, due to menstruation). You don't say if you're vegan or not, so I'll assume not, and that this is unlikely

If it's none of those things, or if it's the last one and you're not a vegan, then see a doctor. There could be any number of causes of this, but before you go telling your doctor about this, make sure you're eating enough calories and carbs.
  • charles877
    charles877 Posts: 17
    Options
    It could be that you're not eating enough calories for your body and activity levels... solution: go to the "in place of a road map" thread and see how much you should be eating, and eat that much

It could be low blood pressure... making sure you're adequately hydrated and avoiding standing up too quickly can help but you may need to see a doctor if it's bad enough that it's stopping you from exercising.

thanks. I'm not sure if my blood pressure drops or rises, I have been told to get a blood pressure cuff, I should do that. Also, I will start monitoring my intake and carbs, to see if perhaps that is it and i'll search for that thread right now :-)
  • kindasortachewy
    kindasortachewy Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    I have low blood sugar so I get dizzy very easily and have to watch myself - another thing to check
  • sozisraw
    sozisraw Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Go see a doctor, get the all clear to exercise and take it easy, warm up slowly and totally, build up each exercise slowly and surely, don't do vigorous exercises full on strait away!