Is an HRM a necessity?

Options
kri1977
kri1977 Posts: 63 Member
Hi!

I am wondering if I should invest in an HRM?

I have trained so far without it, just going to how I felt and counted the calories just using the standards on here.

Do you people feel an HRM is a must have?

Thanks for opinions :)

K

Replies

• phjorg1
    phjorg1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    depends. No real need for it, but it has it's uses if you're say training for performance and need to watch heartrate in order to train properly. Others like it because they like seeing numbers climb while they work out, so it's a motivational thing.

Other than that, if you already just use math to figure a burn for your workout, it's just as arbitrary a number as a HRM's so no real point long as your diet is still getting results.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, I do not. While HRMs have their usefulness, especially for other training aspects, they certainly aren't necessary.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about them and how they work here. Their calorie estimation accuracy is very much overstated. I've also seen people run into trouble from blindly following their HRMs for calorie estimates.

An informative blog
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • ccar014
    ccar014 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some good points, I use a HRM all the time. I don't use it for calorie estimates and I think thats where people may go wrong.

It depends what your trying to achieve, simply weight loss, no real need.

But if your wanting to get fit and become holistically healthier then I would recommend their use. Used properly they are useful in ascertaining vigorous and moderate exercise zones for improved training purposes. This is where I use mine mostly. Im right into cardio (running and biking) so a HRM is pretty handy and useful and motivating!

Hope this helps?

CAM
  • kri1977
    kri1977 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, it helps :)

I will reflect and try to understand if I need one :)
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    The only reason that I bought one was because I am one of those insane numbers freaks that has an intense curiosity to know things that there otherwise unknown.

But I don't need it to lose weight. It's just nice for me to know what my HR is, avg. HR during a workout, and a calorie burn estimation.
  • aagaag
    aagaag Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I have a high-end Polar RS800 which proved incredibly useful to gauge my progress in getting fitter. It was unbelievably rewarding to see that the same stretch of exercise used to push my HR to 170 two years ago, and now I can do the same, at the same speed, with a HR of <140.

I am not using the R-R feature of the Polar though, which I deem too imprecise. If you are uninterested in R-R, then the RS800 is a waste and you should go for a cheaper variant. In addition to R-R measurements I wanted to measure S-T lag, identify extrasystoles, etc. So I have bought a Chinese holter cardioscope for ca. 700$, which I wear ca. 1x/month and gives me all the info I want. These instruments used to go for 20x that price - 700$ for a Holter (including software) is amazing bargain!

The Holter endeavor was useful. I found that my resting HR goes down to 45bpm at night (indicative of good fitness), and it occasionally converts to Wenckebach rhythm (which is nothing to worry about, but still good to know). I should mention, however, that I am a medical doctor by training (although I am currently only active in biomedical research) and can read EKG traces. If you do not want to take the effort of learning how to interpret your EKG then a Holter is overkill.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    I did not and lost weight just fine then I did just to try to keep my HR up and moniter it on my runs then I kinda became a bit obsessive about it now I just run again. I just monitor my breathing (I tried to find a link bu)t goes something like if your doing cardio and cannont carry on a conversation your around 85 percent of your max and if you cannot say a sentance then you at 90 percent dont quote me on the numbers but you can farily accuratly determine you HR by your observed breathing. I would say it depends on the individual and what your trying to accomplish.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    For weight loss, I do not. While HRMs have their usefulness, especially for other training aspects, they certainly aren't necessary.

There is a lot of misunderstanding about them and how they work here. Their calorie estimation accuracy is very much overstated. I've also seen people run into trouble from blindly following their HRMs for calorie estimates.

An informative blog
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472

agreed.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I run with a no frills Nike Triax C5 (10 yrs old). I use it as a performance tool. I equivocate an HRM to the tachometer in your car. It monitors the performance of the power plant. It added a new dimension to my running and I depend on it.

It only measures time, elapsed time , avg hr, zone, and current hr

In simple terms; though the HRM indicates the speed of the heart, it also informs as to the strength of the heart. The HRM will tell you when you should take a day off and when you are just being unmotivated. To measure calories burned I can go to one of the several on line calculators.

Some days I run by time and other days I train by HR. The HRM is the only way to run fartleks.
  • aagaag
    aagaag Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I run with a no frills Nike Triax C5 (10 yrs old). I use it as a performance tool. I equivocate an HRM to the tachometer in your car. It monitors the performance of the power plant. It added a new dimension to my running and I depend on it.

It only measures time, elapsed time , avg hr, zone, and current hr

In simple terms; though the HRM indicates the speed of the heart, it also informs as to the strength of the heart. The HRM will tell you when you should take a day off and when you are just being unmotivated. To measure calories burned I can go to one of the several on line calculators.

Some days I run by time and other days I train by HR. The HRM is the only way to run fartleks.

I agree (except for the term "equivocate" which means something else -. the poster probably meant "compare"!). The lower the HR for any given effort, the stronger the heart (up to a certain limit, beyond which you may need a pacemaker). On the other hand, going higher than 180bpm, at any age, is not recommended as it will inevitably lead to myocardial hypoperfusion (the heart muscle needs some time for getting its own blood!).
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    My polar watch just took a crap (only got it in December) and I've been worrying about not knowing how many calories I'm burning. But as I long as I watch what I eat and still get in some form of exerise I should be just fine in continuing to lose weight. I admit, I don't really trust the calories burned estimates offered by MFP's exercise list, but I managed to use them and lose the majority of my weight the first 11 months of my journey. So, I'd say if you're really interested in the numbers game of it all, go for it. If not, just keep up what you're doing and you'll be just fine :-)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I like mine because I like being able to see what I've accomplished. The calorie burn estimates on MFP are so wildly exaggerated most of the time, you're not getting a good picture of what you've done. I had good weight loss success before I bought it, so it's not a necessity.
  • Naybelline
    Naybelline Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I use mine all the time, I don't exercise with out it. It's motivational for me.
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    I have one and LOVE it, but I wouldn't consider it a necessity. I would tell you however if you chose to get one, invest in a higher-end model, like a Polar. I had a cheap one first and it was just a piece of crap.
  • taciturnity
    taciturnity Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's a necessity. It's just my preference. I like having numbers. I like doing the same workouts and pushing for a higher burn. I like trying to push my heart rate high. And I like noticing when I'm in my range.
  • TheStephil
    TheStephil Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I've been doing fine without one. I couldn't live without my FitBit and BodyMedia though. Most of my exercise is walking/running though. Once I get my lazy butt in strength training mode though I may consider buying a HRM.. its just too expensive right now
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I use mine for training purposes only, but I'm honestly getting to the point where I can now feel whether I'm in my preferred zone or not just naturally. I did use it for estimating calorie burn when I was doing the NEAT method (MFP method) for weight loss, but that was pretty short lived and just went to the TDEE method about a month into my weight loss plan. I'm at maintenance now and I rarely even look at the calorie burn, I just workout.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I've been doing fine without one. I couldn't live without my FitBit and BodyMedia though. Most of my exercise is walking/running though. Once I get my lazy butt in strength training mode though I may consider buying a HRM.. its just too expensive right now

Don't get it for strength training. They are relatively accurate for an aerobic event, but not at all accurate for strength training as strength training is a poor indicator of your VO2 max.
  • Wade406
    Wade406 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I have a high-end Polar RS800 which proved incredibly useful to gauge my progress in getting fitter. It was unbelievably rewarding to see that the same stretch of exercise used to push my HR to 170 two years ago, and now I can do the same, at the same speed, with a HR of <140.

I am not using the R-R feature of the Polar though, which I deem too imprecise. If you are uninterested in R-R, then the RS800 is a waste and you should go for a cheaper variant. In addition to R-R measurements I wanted to measure S-T lag, identify extrasystoles, etc. So I have bought a Chinese holter cardioscope for ca. 700$, which I wear ca. 1x/month and gives me all the info I want. These instruments used to go for 20x that price - 700$ for a Holter (including software) is amazing bargain!

The Holter endeavor was useful. I found that my resting HR goes down to 45bpm at night (indicative of good fitness), and it occasionally converts to Wenckebach rhythm (which is nothing to worry about, but still good to know). I should mention, however, that I am a medical doctor by training (although I am currently only active in biomedical research) and can read EKG traces. If you do not want to take the effort of learning how to interpret your EKG then a Holter is overkill.

I have an older S725i that I use on every training. I agree with the Doc about really tracking your fitness, and that the R-R feature is a number, but it's not really accurate, more like better than a guess. If we are talking about the R-R value used in the Fitness Test feature. I've had my mVO2 measured in the lab, and the Fitness Test feature overstated my Max.

The one feature I really like on the higher end Polar HRM's is the ability to upload your data to polarpersonaltrainer.com. If you are diligent about this, there is a training load feature that really gives you a good sense of whether you are over or under-training. By following the general feedback, I've seen great gains in fitness levels (not as much as the simple switch to a vegan diet - but that's not the topic here) compared to my prior training.

Keep in mind that I am a 53yo male that races mountain bikes recreationally, so I am training a lot and work hard to tweak my fitness. My fitness weapon of choice is road cycling (about 100 miles/week).