Biggest NSV in a long time- First 5k!

Options
xiamjackie
xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
So I already plagued my friends with this awesome achievement earlier this weekend when it happened, but I wanted to share it with everyone.

I absolutely hated running in high school, couldn't even make it through the dreaded "mile" that we had to run for our fitness test twice a year. I despised it. Two years ago I decided to give it a try. I started small, aiming to run about a quarter or half mile at a time, then walk, then run again etc, and over time I was able to get up to 3 or 4 miles. Most recently I was able to run 6 miles in 1:00:47, which I was amazed at!

I decided to enter my first 5k this past weekend on a whim. I went by myself, didn't have anyone there cheering me on or to run with. I did it for myself. I ended up getting 3rd place in my age category for females with a time of 26:20!!!! I was so amazed at my achievement and so proud of myself.

Just wanted to post this for my own NSV, but to also tell anyone that's starting out running to not give up if it's something you really want to do. If you would've told me a few years ago that I'd be running 5-6 miles or that I'd get 3rd place in a 5k I would've laughed. You can do it :)

2zz3t44.jpg

Replies

• Changeisachoice
    Changeisachoice Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    WAY TO GO!! I started the c25k program. I have never had any desire to run before but now I really enjoy it. I am not a fast runner but I am faster than I was! Every day is an improvement. You are an inspiration to me.
  • mattschwartz01
    mattschwartz01 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    That's awesome! It is a huge NSV!
  • woodwardtm
    woodwardtm Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Awesome achievement! I have also just started the c25K in hopes of becoming a runner. People like you give me hope!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!