Trying to run...

Options
I need a bit of advice. Ive been walking regularly and decided today was the day I was gonna start running....well that didnt work so well. I ended making it about two blocks and then walked the rest of the way, my knees and legs felt like complete rubber. Anyone with suggestions????

Replies

• AmyLynch1101
    Options
    Keep trying! I was in the same boat about a year ago. I walked regularly but could barely run two blocks without feeling like I couldn't breath and was going to fall over. Everyday that I went out I just tried to run a little farther and by the end of the summer I could run a mile without stopping (not a fast run, but a run nonetheless)! Over the winter I worked out on an eliptical to build up endurance and this spring I decided to start running again. Now I can run four miles without walking! Again, my pace isn't super fast (about a 12 minute mile) but I can do it! It's all a matter of the effort you put into it. Listen to your body and slow down when you need to but keep trying! It's a great feeling to see your body improving over time. I never would have thought I would be running four miles a day but here I am!
  • 4ever420
    4ever420 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    I would look up Couch to 5k (C25K) online. It's a beginner running program that slowly builds your stamina up over 9 weeks. I've almost completed week 1 and I've never been able to run. From what I've researched, the program can be challenging but definitely doable. Good luck on whatever plan you go with!
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of looking at something like Couch to 5K. Start slow, your pace doesn't have to be fast. And go in walk/run intervals, slowly increasing the run to walk ratio.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I vote for c25k! Made a runner out of me about a year go - builds you up gradually with a combination of walking & running, and in 9 weeks you're able to run 30 mins non stop.

Look it up online, and then check out the apps - there are a lot of free ones. I used c25kFREE by Zen Labs - worked great.
  • storm15918
    storm15918 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I also vote for C25K. Also, how fast were you running? When I first started I ran way too fast and hard and couldn't do even a mile. But once I slowed down I was able to build endurance because I wasn't pushing too hard. Just find a slow comfortable pace and start there with C25K. It works, I promise!
  • AprilRN10
    AprilRN10 Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I am doing a program from a book by John Bingham. C25K didn't work for me, but his program does! The book I got is "Running for mortals" but he has several.
  • Heaven71
    Heaven71 Posts: 706 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K. No one starts out running a .long distance. 2 Blocks is nothing to sneeze at. You did great!!!

Do searches on running and stretches, also make sure you have proper shoes. I warm up 5 minutes with a slow jog, stop and stretch well, run, walk a cool down for 5 minuts then stretch again. the rubbery legs are nromal, sometimes my legs feel like pure jello on my cool down walk.

Do it the right way and you will be hooked forever. Good luck!
  • JingleMuffin
    JingleMuffin Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    keep going. one block at a time
  • patricemeredithclarke
    patricemeredithclarke Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Your legs are going to feel like rubber, don't give up!! Sometimes it is just a mental block, but if you really think about it, you can still run on those legs. Try going one extra block each day, and pretty soon you will be amazed at what your body can do! Good luck! (I went from never having run at all about 4 years ago to running fairly consistently for the past 4 years anywhere from a few to 15 miles -- trying to work up to a marathon someday. Once you get into it, it is therapy -- not just great for your body, but great for your soul! I also made the mistake of running a lot and then eating way more than I burned, so be careful, running doesn't automatically make you skinny :/ I learned the hard way.)
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2009/11/1/cardio-causes-heart-disease.html

and the study he breaks down:

http://radiology.rsna.org/content/251/1/50.long

http://www.archevore.com/panu-weblog/2010/3/21/still-not-born-to-run.html

(please read thoroughly. May have to re-read)

Here's one more: http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fitness/archive/2012/05/11/peak-fitness-vs-running-marathons.aspx

Even if humans were "born to run" (no we weren't. We were designed to move, not run) that can't even apply to the female of the species. We were not involved in the hunting groups. We were gathering (included small game) and ensuring the species survived by keeping the offspring healthy and protected.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Everyone here is saying the exact same thing I will say. Just don't give up. No one is born a runner. It takes time, patience, and motivation. I started the exact same way as you, running about a quarter mile at a time, then walking. I just didn't let myself give up and kept setting new goals for myself. Now I am able to run 6 miles steady. You can do it :)
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Another vote for c25k! Or another training programme that's aimed at complete beginners. Intervals are really helpful to get you going. Whatever you do, go as slow as you possibly can.
  • shezzzzz
    shezzzzz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    In Canada, we have a store called The Running Room, and the have a book about how to run.

They recommend a ten week approach.

Run at least 3 times per week, make sure you have rest days.

They also recommend that everyone should do a 10 minute run, 1 minute walk cycle, ever for marathons etc

Each run should be 20-30 minutes while getting used to it

First week - run 1 minute, walk 1 minute repeat
    Second week - run 2 minutes, walk one minute repeat
    Third week - run 3 minutes, walk one minute repeat

etc until in the tenth week, you are running for 10 minutes, and walking for one.

Congrats, you are now a runner.
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I also vote for C25K. I did it and my wife is doing it.

Another option is Hal Higdon's plans. He has several. I am doing his half marathon plan right now. http://www.halhigdon.com/

Also look on You Tube for videos on proper running forms and things like Chi Running. Save yourself some aspirin and learn how to run properly while you are still a noob. Its a lot easier than trying to unlearn later.
  • xiamjackie
    xiamjackie Posts: 611 Member
    Options

Instead of just listing articles without any advice, why don't you state your point? The OP wants to run. Are you trying to make your point that runners are more likely to have heart attacks and therefore the OP would be better off being sedentary? Atop the articles it says "One man's OPINION on health, science, and the essentials of diet". I'd say not to be taken as proven fact.
  • sakuragreenlily
    sakuragreenlily Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I too vote for c25k with ONE caveat... Ignore the "5k" part if you need to and work on endurance. I did c25k program all the way through at about 4 miles per hour because I was VERY out of shape (16 min. mile). Then I re-did it at about a 12 min. mile. Eventually I have worked my way up to a 10 minute mile which is what the program wants you running at in order to complete the 5k in 30 minutes.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the posters and just want to add that two blocks is incredible!! Good for you!:)
  • metacognition
    metacognition Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Yes, do intervals. Try 30 seconds running with a minute-and-a-half to recover. Go for at least 30 minutes. Work up to 1:1 run / walk, and soon enough your body will be able to manage a slow, steady state jog. If you go even faster than you think you can during the running portion (tire out completely), your body's aerobic capacity will increase super fast, at least it did for me.
  • HannahJDiaz25
    HannahJDiaz25 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I second the suggestion of looking at something like Couch to 5K. Start slow, your pace doesn't have to be fast. And go in walk/run intervals, slowly increasing the run to walk ratio.

I third this! You need to build up slowly so you don't injure your knees or anything...Good Luck :-)
  • lizpirate
    lizpirate Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I am a total running convert thanks to the Zombies, Run! C25K program. I went from not being a runner at all to running 10.5 miles the other day and it's only been about 2 months. It's been awesome.