Training for a 5K in 1 month...on a treadmill

Options
Hi! I'm kind of new here and I would appreciate some suggestions from seasoned MFP members.

I've recently decided that I wanted to be an "official" runner and run my first 5K. The 5K is in 4 weeks (June 20th). Is it feasible to train for a 5K in 4 weeks on a treadmill? I currently run on a treadmill every other day (I do power yoga/strength training in between or just rest my knees) at least 30-45 mins. but I am increasing it every week (on track to be running 1 hour per day by 3 weeks from now or 2 weeks before the 5K). Right now I'm averaging 3.25 miles per run and I'm usually at 5mph and am trying to increase it little by little - I had a knee injury a month ago and was told by my doctor to take it easy. This is also the main reason I don't want to train outside yet since the pavement will be a bit harder on my knees.

Any info would be great! Thanks!

Replies

• DrBorkBork
    DrBorkBork Posts: 4,099 Member
    Options
    If you're already at 3 miles, then you're already ready for a 5k. All you would have to do is concentrate on increasing your speed and stamina. 5k is only 3.12 miles.
    The only other thing I would add is put the TM on an incline of 1 or 2 to simulate wind resistance.
  • cynthials
    cynthials Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I trained for my first 5k over an 8 week period almost all on a treadmill. I set a PR on that race that I haven't beat yet, so I think you will be fine. Increasing the incline by 1-2% can help mimic the conditions of outdoors. You will probably find once you run outside that it is a bit more difficult. I always had the tendency to run too fast and had a hard time pacing myself.

Good luck!
  • tcac
    tcac Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Look up couch to 5k my daughter loves it.
  • bluiz13
    bluiz13 Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    you dont have to "run" the full 5k if you have issues with your knee...you can do a run/walk interval or you can jog it...unless of course you are aiming for a specific "win" time...
    if this is your first 5k and you are completing 3.25 miles per run on your treadmill now, you'll be great in a month...just keep doing what you are doing and take care of your knee at the same time..if you can move outside i would suggest doing it now so you can get a feel for outside running - I LOVE running outside over treadmill any day of the week :)
    good luck and keep up the hard work...
    you'll do great - heck you are doing great right now :)
    denise
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    Yep, I prefer to Ride/run outside rather than being stuck on a machine. Thats just my personal preference though. But if I were training for something like this. I'd want to be as use to the conditions as possible. Riding my stationary bike in my climate controlled basement is way different than getting on my real bike and doing the same thing in 90 degree midwest heat.
  • dmcpage
    dmcpage Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    First of all, congratulations to you on setting this wonderful goal! I did my first 5K a few months ago and it was an incredible high that I just could not get enough of, and like you I had to train about 99% of it indoors due to the weather. Since you have had knee problems in the past, make sure you strengthen your quads as much as you can so you don't develop "runners knee" problems due to underdeveloped muscles that hold the knee in place. You are certainly there distance wise, so my advice to you would be incrementally increasing your speed--but only for short distances at a time until you are able to build stamina at a faster pace. Also increase your incline a bit at least intermittently so more accurately portray what it would be like outdoors since running outside is never truly flat. If you are able to, I would try to run outside when you can as well. You can always run for a few minutes, then walk for a few minutes, etc. The feel of a run on pavement is very different from that of a treadmill, so you will want to know how you and your body react to the change. Listen to your body every step of the way....and good luck to you!!!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    I would say try to do 3 miles on the elliptical as well every now and then. The different motion really helps with building endurance & stamina - at least for me. And... I have bad knees as well and thought running outside would be horrible, but if you figure out exactly how to land your feet, you should be fine!! I just make sure I only land on my toes and don't land too far past that before landing my other foot. Hope that makes sense! Good luck on your 5k!! I'm so jealous. I haven't had the time to really "train" even though I want to do one... right now I'm more focused on maximizing calorie burn and running doesn't do as much for me. Mreh. I miss it, though. Wish I had more time for work outs than what I have now.
  • a1schwei
    a1schwei Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    keep up doing what you are doing and you should be golden! i have recently fallen back in love with running 5ks and my favorite part is having a ton of people running around me...it is fabulous for motivation! :) i agree that a few runs outside would be helpful though just for the experience of running in the elements...map yourself a 3.1 mile route for practice (mapmyrun.com is great for this) if you are worried about running on pavement, try running on the grass a bit for a softer surface...good luck! :)
  • SimonLondon
    SimonLondon Posts: 350
    Options
    Some good advice here.Only thing I would add is get a heart rate monitor and keep your heart rate the cardio zone so you really build up the stamina.

I very quickly got to 5k and I was even quicker getting from 5k to 10k.
  • dizzle2209
    dizzle2209 Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies! This is really helpful (and motivating)!