Counting Calories with HR Monitor

Options
bama6977
bama6977 Posts: 71 Member
I am sure this has been asked before. I use HR monitor everytime I exercise whether it be strength training day or cardio day to guage intensity, time, approx calories and recovery.

Yesterday easy day so I walked for 55 minutes with 30 pound back pack. HR monitor showed 615 calories so I logged this as 55 min walk at 5 mph which got me close the same number of calories on fitpal.

Today was strength training with the following: 5 minute warm up on elliptical; Squats 5x7 alternate with shoulder press, rest until HR comes down to 120 then another set: Bench press 5x7 alternate with calve raises, rest until HR comes down to 120 then another set: Deadlift 1x10 then wait for HR to come down to 120; Seated row 5x7 alternate with Lat Pull Down, rest until HR comes down to 120, then another set: Cool down on elliptical. Total time 55 min with heart rate range from 114 up to 149. After this HR monitor recorded 614 calories so I recorded this again as 55 Min walk at 5 mph.

Tomorrow will be cardio at gym on eliptical for min 20- 30 min HITT, 3x40 second farmers walk with 120 pounds (HR screams on this), then push-ups, abs and pull ups. Same situation except I can see the elliptical read out.

Next day rest with 30 -40 minute eassssssy walk so I can use what is already set up in fitpal for walking calories

Next day strength training

Next day cardio

Next day sit on the beach, SCUBA dive or ride my Harley!!!:drinker:

Oh by the way, why 120 bpm recovery mark?? I'm 66 and don't want to push it any harder! Am I counting calories correctly? Thanks

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    HRMs are not accurate for strength training. The calorie estimation is based on algorithms for steady state cardio. The elevated heart rate from strength training is not the same.