Help Please!

Hi,

I've set my cals at 1700, (having upped them from 1200). I'm trying to move more and not be afraid of eating back my exercise cals but I still feel I'm struggling in that I'm making wrong choices with food.

I have around 50 pounds to lose but I seem to up and down the same 2 pounds lately. I don't eat meat, but I do eat fish. I LOVE bread and am thinking about cutting it out completely as I can't stop at one slice and I can easily have toast for breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, plus a slice as a snack. I drink diet coke but am also thinking of going cold turkey on this. I think I'm a sugar addict as I love cakes, chocolate, sweets etc. I don't drink milk but use almond milk in cereal etc.

I have set my macros at carbs 30%, protein 50%, fat 20%. Does this sound OK? I want to move away from the carbs and try and eat more protein. I know that when I have eggs for breakfast I feel fuller for far longer.

So, can anyone help me with some ideas?

Firstly, does the macros %'s sound about right?

Also, does anyone have any ideas about how to increase my protein seeing that i don't eat meat?

Any views on protein shakes (I live in the UK) ? I've never considered them as I always felt they were for body builders.

I've opened up my diaries to the public. Please view and criticise/advise!

Many thanks

Lucy

Replies

• TheRunningGuppy
    TheRunningGuppy Posts: 651 Member
    I have a similar calorie setting to you (1691) that is set after I worked through a spreadsheet I found that someone here on MFP created, and I saved as an excel file for using again and again. It involves age, weight, measurements, activity level, etc, in order to come up with that number. Since you're on my friends list, if you want it, I'm sure we could work out a way to get the file to you.

I've had a problem with protein, I never meet the goal set for me by MFP. I buy a greek yogurt that has twice the amount of protein, and I also use a protein powder to make green smoothies with. I do eat meat as well though, mostly chicken breast and turkey.

I think cutting back on the bread intake is a good idea. I absolutely love bread, and allow myself usually one serving a day, but not more than that for the most part.

The form I mentioned above, in addition to helping set the calorie goal, also recommends macro settings, it has mine with carbs at 45%, protein at 30%, and fat at 25%.
  • nevets60
    nevets60 Posts: 1
    Hello, I removed alcohol, soda, juice, desserts and ice cream from my meal plan. I know this my sound harsh, but it works for me. I try to keep my sugar intake to below 9-10 grams per meal. Raising your protein intake without meat no problem. Here is an example of what eat for breakfast and snack. Silk unsweetened almond milk, Kellogg special K low fat granola, and ON (optimum nutrition protein powder) Breakfast is 260 cals., 38 g. protein, and 10 g. of sugar. For snacks I go with lactaid cottage cheese 1/2 cup, 1 tbs. sugar free with fiber fruit preserves, and 1 eat Good Look Good Pure Protein bar. snacks give me a total of 200 cals., 31 g. protein, and 10 g. sugar. For lunch and dinner you go with 450-500 cal. meal. my drink of choice is water or any 0 cal., 0 sugar beverage. Breakfast, and snacks are always the same for me then I can enjoy a great lunch, and dinner. I do luv my fruits. lol I hope this issomething that you can tweak to accommdate into your meal plan. Steven
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    For protein... quinoa, beans/lentils, tofu/soy, tempeh, maybe check out premade veggie burgers some are higher in protein. There's always protein powder if you come up short as well.