Becoming Vegetarian-- Need good recipes

Options
2»

Replies

• FATJAKE5
    FATJAKE5 Posts: 162
    Options
    The OP said:
    I am changing to a vegetarian diet and would like some advise. I'm changing since I am feeling too guilty about eating animals.

When you preface a thread with some statement like this, you are imposing your personal feelings where they do not belong. This sentence does not and should not be here, and if left out would have not gotten this agument started in the first place.

This is the problem right here,...OP said: I'm changing since I am feeling too guilty about eating animals.
    [/quote]
    But even if that's the OPs reason, they were asking for advice for recipes, not someone being rude saying that people that don't eat meat aren't "normal". As part of the Terms for the forums, if that person didn't have anything useful to post (and posting that the OP should "get the **** over it and eat meat like a normal human being" is not useful), they are not supposed to reply.
    [/quote]

Crista, you obviously did not read what I said as you did not get the point which is that:
    If the OP did not preface her thread with that statement, which has nothing to do with her question, this argument would not have begun in the first place. She was asking for recipes and interjecting her feelings about eating meat on everyone else at the same time.
  • crista_b
    crista_b Posts: 1,192 Member
    Options
    Crista, you obviously did not read what I said as you did not get the point which is that:
    If the OP did not preface her thread with that statement, which has nothing to do with her question, this argument would not have begun in the first place. She was asking for recipes and interjecting her feelings about eating meat on everyone else at the same time.
    I understood your point, but my point is that this was OP's thread. If she wanted to share her feelings, she has that right. She made a simple statement and asked for vegetarian recipes. All I'm saying is that the response did not belong in the thread and should never have even been posted.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I am mostly vegetarian (I eat fish once in a blue moon). The base of my diet is beans and brown rice (now that I've cut out the junk food). I am eating mostly lentils, but also other beans, and meet or exceed the protein guidelines on MFP. Vegetarians don't have to rely on dairy for all their protein. I don't eat cheese or milk products, but once in a while will eat an egg. I add to my diet steamed/sauted/blanched veggies of all kind. You are welcome to look at my food diary.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    Dear MFP Posters,

The subject here is "Becoming Vegetarian-- Need good recipes". Please be respectful to the OP and stick to the subject. Anything else will be deemed as hi-jacking.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

2. No Hi-Jacking, Trolling, or Flame-baiting

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic.

1. No Attacks or Insults and No Reciprocation
    a) Do not attack, mock, or otherwise insult others.

I have removed some posts, given out some warnings, and refrained from giving out any strikes...........yet.

Thank You,

Arewethereyet
    MFP Moderator
  • KolaCabana
    KolaCabana Posts: 19
    Options
    My mom always taught me if you don't have something nice to say, don't say it at all. I am looking for help and advice not criticism or cursing.

Somone always has to ruffle feathers. Just ignore them. Take what you need and leave the rest! I hope your vegetarian journey has been successful.
  • x3na1401
    x3na1401 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Back to the topic at hand,...

I became vegetarian when I was 13 for largely the same reasons. I'm 33 now and have had many years to create dishes that are nutritionally balanced and taste great.

You are welcome to view my diary. I prefer to make things from scratch because its healthier than store bought and I know what's in it.

I'm in the uk and here we have something great called quorn. You can use this in place of meat in a variety of dishes.

The mince is very good and only has 5% fat. Many meat eaters use this mince for dietary reasons.

I wish you well whatever you decide to do
  • SummerLovesPhil
    SummerLovesPhil Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I have a big fat cookbook called The Passionate Vegetarian that I just love. She has a whole section on pots of beans, the best being Buckaroo Beans that use coffee and dark chocolate to achieve a smoky flavor. It's a pretty popular cookbook, so the library probably has a copy.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    My diary is open & you can add me. Vegetarian for 3 1/2 years.
  • jordanlillybit
    jordanlillybit Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Look into Asian-based cuisines. Many are vegetarian friendly!!

A few of my favorites:

Tofu Stir Fry

(Press the tofu--make sure to research online how to do this. You can marinade it after it's pressed)

Annie's Parmesan Peace Pasta...I throw in tomatoes and broccoli, but you could add just about any vegetable

Baby Arugula with Mini Heirloom Tomatoes, Black Grapes, Feta, and Balsamic Vinegar
  • Becky_Smith72
    Becky_Smith72 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian, too! :)
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Search pizza quiche online. One of my favorites.