Insanity along with other work outs...

Options
TwinkieDong
TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
I try and work out as much as I can, so I bought the Insanity program. So my question is, could I do other routine workouts and then do this in the evening? Or would it be too much working out?

Replies

• ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I did the Insanity program and 3 days I week I was going for an hour long karate class. Key is to make sure you eat enough for all the working out. I am bad about not doing that and I send my body into starvation mode.
  • TwinkieDong
    Options
    I am eating around 2000 cals a day.
  • staceypunk
    staceypunk Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I personally think that Insanity on it's own is enough (especially month 2). If you are not feeling completely spent then I think you are not pushing yourself as hard as you could.
  • brillmer
    brillmer Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    It basically comes down to your Glyocgen stores.

The Insanity workout is very high intensity, so it definitely drains your glyocgen stores. If you are eating a lot of calories, you should be alright, but the problem is if you arent - you may start burning through your muscle!

No need to over do it brother.. That's my 2 cents. I was wondering the same thing myself a few months ago but decided to just keep doing what I am doing, rather than over do it and kill myself.

If anything, I would say add some strength related exercises - not more cardio.

If you want, just look for another type of workout program that is more intense.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/kris-gethin-12-week-daily-trainer.html

I started this last Monday, I can promise you I am not looking to do extra workouts anywhere. Lol.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Probably could, but why would you want to? I can see adding in strength training, but not other programs/cardio.
  • TwinkieDong
    Options
    truth is I have a crazy schedule. I do not work out consistently. I may work out a few times a week. This is why I was wondering so I can have a more consistent workout in terms of number of times per week.
  • runningxlove
    Options
    I personally think that Insanity on it's own is enough (especially month 2). If you are not feeling completely spent then I think you are not pushing yourself as hard as you could.

Truth!! If you push yourself as hard as you can, Insanity will be enough!
  • dulinh
    dulinh Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm on week 3 - I routinely do other 'workouts', yoga class, volleyball, 30-60min walks, hit the gym for 30-45 minutes of weight lifting/cardio - I always do the other workouts before insanity (with the exception of walking) as there is no way I'd have much energy left for the gym/volleyball after doing some of the longer routines. That being said I don't do Insanity 6 days/week as suggested, have made 5 x's/week. I've also had really good success - lost several pounds and can see the difference in before/after pics (week 1 vs week 3).

Good luck, its a killer
  • Still_Fluffy
    Still_Fluffy Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    I have a friend who does P90x and Insanity on the same days. Search online theres a program that lays out what to do on what days. Last summer I did Insanity and strength trained three days a week. I also ran three days a week. It was really hard and I ended up killing my knees and needed to take a rest for a week.

I would start with Insanity and see how your body handles it, before you start adding to it.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options

I agree with Stacey. Though I would also say that everyone is different and depending on your fitness level, you could possibly squeeze in some other actual workouts, but Insanity truly is enough if you are just starting out or have never attempted it.
  • amberp83
    amberp83 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just started insanity and I have cut everything else except for water aerobics and aqua stretch classes they are less stressful for my knees.
  • BradHallFitness
    BradHallFitness Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I am eating around 2000 cals a day.

If you do the Insanity program, make sure you follow the nutrition guide. 2000 cals/day will more than likely not be enough. Calculate your cals based on the formula in the Nutrition guide. I just completed my 2nd round of Insanity and ate at 3000 cals/day. My goal was to stay the same weight but drop inches. Even eating 3000 per day I dropped over an inch off my waist alone. If I wanted to drop weight I would have been at 2500 cals per day and could possibly have gotten down to 160 pounds in the 63 days.
  • marc_s_johnson
    marc_s_johnson Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    If you have the time why not?

Insanity in the morning, eat through the day and another workout at night.

I don't think you can ever over exercise, you could probably burn out though so I guess it's down to how you space it out.
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I do Crossfit 3-4 times a week because that's what fits in my schedule. I don't have time to do more than that so I don't have much to offer. The only thing I would watch and mindful of has been said already - your calorie intake. If you are going to increase your workouts you definitely need to increase your calories.
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options

True... That definitely makes you feel spent! LOL... My karate instructors could always tell when I did Insanity before my class. LOL