Lowering % of body fat?

Options
spfldpam
spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
Forgive me if this has been asked before...
I am a female, 49 years old, 5'4" 129-130 pounds and had a DXA Scan done on 4/26/13 that said my % of body fat was 24%. I guess according to charts I have seen online I am in the "fitness level" for body fat for a female at my age. I am kinda surprised! I am at my goal weight but would like to lower my % of body fat. Any tips? I go to the gym 3-4 times a week doing cardio and strength training and also do cardio and some strength training at home every day M-F. I just joined the gym in Jan of 2013. I wish I would have had a DXA Scan done before I lost over 140 pounds to see what the difference was! I do write all my workouts down and log them into MFP under exercise if anyone wants to friend me and then can view them.
Any tips would be great! I do have loose skin from loosing all this weight and I image that would figure into the %? Would it be under tissue or body fat % I wonder, the loose skin. I am working on tighten up the loose skin but working out will only do so much when I have been obese all my life and never weighed the proper weight my entire life and I am 49 years old!
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Eat at or slightly below maintenance, lift heavy, and get enough protein.

Losing body fat comes down to losing weight while retaining muscle.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have up'd my calories for the day to about 1350 now it was 1200 but some days I was getting near 1350 in due to working out at the gym on those days. I do get 80-100 grams of protein in a day usually. I have been gradually increasing the amount of weight I use at the gym and switched up my workout routine the beginning of April after meeting witht the trainer there. I had been doing the same machines for three months but now only do certain machines and do some free weights.
    I don't want to loose anymore weight at this point, just maintain my weight and lower the body fat %.
    Thanks again!
    Eat at or slightly below maintenance, lift heavy, and get enough protein.

Losing body fat comes down to losing weight while retaining muscle.
  • dawn1801
    dawn1801 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I think losing body fat is now about what you are eating. Like the other post, continue to lift heavier, get in lots of protein while eating clean as possible, and enjoy the journey.

PS-your body fat level now is awesome!