is twenty minutes enough for weight lifting?

Options
I do about 30-40 minutes cardio sometimes more then I go to weight lifting but not for too long I usually only do 3 sets of 12-15 5 machines

should I be doing more to lose weight and gain muscle or is what I'm doing okay?

Replies

• tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I do about 30-40 minutes cardio sometimes more then I go to weight lifting but not for too long I usually only do 3 sets of 12-15 5 machines

should I be doing more to lose weight and gain muscle or is what I'm doing okay?

If you have the time to do more and your body can handle it (it won't make you feel fatigued, dizzy, or so sore you can't move) then do more. If you find yourself getting hurt or fatigued do less.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    You should be upping your weights to a higher amount to maintain muscle mass. Unfortunately you won't gain muscle while trying to lose fat (eating at a deficit) so your lifting will be great to help lower muscle loss or avoid it.

Try to lift heavy enough where after about 8 reps you can't do another with proper form.

For time length, anything is better than nothing. Do whatever you have the time for. If you don't have a ton of time for lifting just make it count. Try not to work the same muscles two days in a row so your muscle can heal and repair themselves.
  • Sawjer
    Sawjer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I do about 6-7 excercises 6 days a week and do 3 sets off 12 reps on each. Its working fine for me, I have only started doing Cardio this week, I think its more than enough as long as your diet is solid and you are taking in your protein per lean mass.
  • Stevo_89
    Stevo_89 Posts: 19
    Options
    If you are a beginner I would say so, if not try and do more or maybe lower the weights.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options

Chances are you aren't going to gain muscle AND lose weight at the same time... and if you do the progress will be minimal and painfully slow. The body just doesn't work that way for most people most of the time... either it's building with excess cals or it's shedding due to a calorie deficit.

Pick 1 goal to focus on and make that your priority. If your focus is to lose weight, then keep doing what your doing (along with a proper diet)... cardio first, strength training secondary. If you want to build muscle, then flip it... lift first and for longer, then cardio if you want.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options

Pick 1 goal to focus on and make that your priority. If your focus is to lose weight, then keep doing what your doing (along with a proper diet)... cardio first, strength training secondary. If you want to build muscle, then flip it... lift first and for longer, then cardio if you want.

Don't really agree with that. If the goal is FAT loss not weight loss then resistance training should be the primary exercise in order to retain LBM. If it's difficult to create a deficit through nutrition then add some cardio.

Re OP's question: the reps seem high to me. I'd aim for 8-10 and up the weight when you get your 3 sets of 10. If you plateau for 3 workouts in a row then drop 10%. And I'm assuming that you are using various machines to do a full body workout. (I would recommend free weights over machines if you don't have any injuries and just running with something like starting strength or stronglifts)