Thoughts on Atkins

Options
What's better counting calories or Atkins? I've been doing Atkins for 5 weeks and only lost 1/2 pound. All I've gotten out of Atkins is being afraid of carbs. Some people have tremendous success on it but it's not working for me. Where do I go from here?

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    What's better counting calories or Atkins? I've been doing Atkins for 5 weeks and only lost 1/2 pound. All I've gotten out of Atkins is being afraid of carbs. Some people have tremendous success on it but it's not working for me. Where do I go from here?

There is little reason to do something like Atkins unless you have a medical reason to do so, as fat loss differences between a low carb and higher carb diet, holding protein and cals constant is not significantly different.
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Options
    I did well on Atkins, but I missed carbs too much to make it sustainable. I suppose you have to ask yourself "Can I eat like this the rest of my life?" If the answer is no why not try simply counting your calories and eating in moderation for awhile?
  • rides4sanity
    rides4sanity Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    I won't talk nutrition here, because there are a million theories as to what is right. But chemistry & physics are a little more clear cut.

Like any other diet, calories in must be less than calories expended in order to reduce your weight. Atkins is not different, it works because by eliminating an entire food group you also tend to lower your caloric intake. It may be a short term fix, but is it sustainable? Does it teach you to change your daily behaivor? Do you learn to eat well or in proper portions? For me the answer to all three was "No". I did Atkins before my wedding, I dropped 40 pounds in 6 months. I was diligent because I had an end goal, I knew it wasn't sustainable, but I thought once I got there I could stop and still maintain the loss. Of course I went off the diet and back to the habits that caused my gain in the first place. I gained 50 pounds in about 3-4 months.

If it isn't a sustainable lifestyle it will not work for you long term. For me it was not. For me balance and moderation are what work, because I don't feel anxious or deprived.

Good Luck. Everybody is different, you may have to try a few things before you find "your thing".