Keeping veggies fresh

Options
I am not sure if it is my house and fridge or what. But I have NEVER had so much trouble keep fresh veggies. It is very frustrating. My lettuce goes bad in two days whether in the fridge or counter. I do have a food saver but have not used it for fruits and veggies. Has anyone tried it. I do not have the special cord for containers so I want to ask before I buy. Any ideas will be helpful.

I physically can not shop more than once sometimes twice a week

Thanks
Michelle

Replies

• benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Options
    LEMON! Try squirting a little on and it should do the trick.
  • Straitlover1965
    Straitlover1965 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I use the Debbie's Green Bags for romaine lettuce and strawberries. If you don't want to buy those - for the lettuce, you can go ahead and wash it, dry it (very important!), tear it up )if it's for salads)and put it in a bowl w/ a paper towel (to absorb excess moisture). If you don't want to use the bowl, make sure you put in the correct drawer in the fridge if your's has the fruit/veggie humidity settings. Too much humidity will cause it to either wilt/get slimy or freeze (if the temp is too cold).

I have recently started buying the big tubs of the baby greens (Taylor Farms Organic) at Sams instead of just romaine heads. Plenty enough for a week of salads, and I just leave it in the tub and it doesn't get yucky. They have the smaller size at Target if you want to try it.

EDIT: don't store lettuce on the counter. It needs to stay cool and dry. Found this link w/ good info, too:

http://www.stellaskitchen.com/howtokeeplettucefresh.html