10g of usable protein-51kcal of chicken or 1682kcal of nuts

Not sure if everyone else has seen Goobz' protein quality calculator but it's a great resource. It's important to complete your proteins. I'm a vegetarian so I'm at a slight disadvantage for muscle building but by paying close attention to my protein sources I can still make it.

How much protein do you need to eat in order to build muscle? One gram of protein per pound of bodyweight per day is a good recommendation for athletes so a 160 pound bodybuilder would eat 160g of protein a day, but are all grams of protein created equal? Does it matter if you get your 160 grams of protein from chicken breast or nuts? It makes a HUGE difference! As explained below, a gram of protein from chicken breast is much better at building muscle than a gram of protein from nuts because of protein density, amino acid profile and digestibility. For over 5000 foods, this calculator tells you how much you need to eat to get the protein you need to build muscle.

http://scoobysworkshop.com/protein-quality-calculator/

Replies

• benflando
    benflando Posts: 193
    Chicken and nuts both have good protein. If you got all your protein from nuts, you would be extremely high in fats. And calories for that matter.
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Chicken and nuts both have good protein. If you got all your protein from nuts, you would be extremely high in fats. And calories for that matter.
    You'd be lacking in lysine
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,069 Member
    I know meat is easier/better as it contains all 11 essential amino acids but its certainly not impossible for vegetarians to get all these nutrients by doing what you're doing and making sure you get the right balance.

I spent too much time on the forum one night trying to explain this to a girl who was convinced she could get everything she needed from broccoli :S