NSV - Broad Street Run

Options
rynomite57
rynomite57 Posts: 61 Member
My only goal in 2013 was to complete the Broad Street Run in Philadelphia, a 10-mile run around city hall, past the sports complex and into the Navy Yard.

About one month ago, while training outdoors, I came down off of the curb and onto the street funny and have experienced soreness in my left knee whenever I cover long distances. I rest it, stretch it, do yoga, substitute runs with elliptical training, but the pain still comes and goes. Against my own training plan and mental toughness, I rested it completely for the last two weeks, all while maintaining a consistent weight.

During the run, around mile 5 yesterday, my left knee gave out. I compensated and switched all energy over to the right leg. Around mile 7, the right leg gave out.

But I never quit! I did a little walking for about a minute (which is a momentum killer), but ended up jogging the last 2-3 miles. I finished the damn race. My legs were sore, so I iced them, rested them good last night (12 hours sleep), and self medicated with some beer. The knees are moving properly again and they're coming back today.

Nothing but rest on the agenda for the week (and some gardening) before I ease slowly back into running some short distances for a 5 Mile in late June.

I couldn't run for more than 30 seconds in 2010.
The idea of doing a mile was preposterous. Now I can do my best mile in under 8 minutes.
But the highlight of it all is that I know I can run 10 miles, even at less than my best. At 100%, the Broad Street Run doesn't stand a chance next year.

With this goal out of the way, I have a 5-Miler that I once dropped out of that I need to check off of the list, and a goal weight of 160 to hit this year. Then...a slightly lazy summer on the beach.

So to anyone who thinks they can't do "this," that they never will do "this," no matter what it is...YOU GOT THIS! YOU OWN THIS!

Replies

• Kath712
    Kath712 Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    Way to GO!!! :drinker: I was there yesterday too! No knee problems, but my feet were killing me. I'm treating my tarsal tunnels with physical therapy. I suffered through it and was slow, but I conquered Broad Street too! Just a few walk breaks to grab water. I had a blast - the energy along the course was amazing, like no race I have ever done before.

My next race is the Delaware Half Marathon on Sunday. Then, I'm going to scale back on the "long" distances (for me) and get on my bike and in the pool. I'm proud to have accomplished my goal of Broad Street and hope to be proud on Sunday after the half. But I'm ready to mix it up with different cardio and strength training.

Enjoy your rest and summer! :flowerforyou:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!