Dr. advice?

Gerkenstein
Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
edited September 21 in Health and Weight Loss
I just got back from going to the Dr. for a physical and blood work (no results yet). He put me on a 1800 calorie diet and said I should be walking 30 minutes almost everyday, which I am fine with. But he said I should only be losing about 3-4lbs. a month. This did NOT sit well with me. I know plunging in too fast, too fierce has gotten me in trouble before and that's why I haven't stuck with it. I've always felt like I should be doing more and start off doing more, but that feeling of needing to do more and then not doing more is what has discouraged me in the past.
Am I crazy to think that I should be losing 8-10lbs a month (at least to start off with)? Am I setting myself up for failure, again?
Could use some advice and encouragement because that was a HUGE disappointment to hear from my doc.

Replies

• Mellie13
    Mellie13 Posts: 424
    Your dr. is right!! Everything I have read (which is A LOT) and every trainer and dr and health professional I have talked to said 1 (maybe 2) pound(s) a week is the very best way to go. That means you are taking care of your body and the likelyhood of keeping it off is astonomical!! It really is about a lifestyle change, not a "diet". Trust me, this will be the healthiest way to go. Before I came to mfp I had lost about 25 lbs and have lost another 13 on here and it has been slow and steady, but I feel great! Everyone I know that has been succesfull has done it slow and steady. The people I know that have taken it off fast have gained it all back plus more. Please don't beleive the hype. Health is what you really want! We are here to support you!! :smile:
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I'm betting if you stick to 1800 calories & walking every day you're going to lose more than 3-4 pounds a month. :wink: I weigh nearly 100 pounds less than you and eat around 1700-1800 calories most days and run about 30 minutes most days and I'm losing about 6-7 pounds a month at this point.

I was losing weight too fast at first because I wasn't eating enough to keep up with the amount of exercise I was doing. I got myself into trouble and it took me 3 months to straighten my metabolism back out. Not something you want to have to do! :smile:

So, yeah, I think you should follow doctor's orders. 4 pounds a month is a good and healthy loss (though like I said, I'm betting you'll lose more if you stick with 1800 cals and exercise 30 minutes each day).
  • cobygrey
    cobygrey Posts: 270 Member
    You could safely lose 2 lbs a week with A LOT OF EXERCISE. But it would give you a maximum of 8 lbs per month. So you must make that 30 minutes count. Try to work up a sweat if possible. If you can only walk my suggestion would be to add good arm swinging action and keep those knees high.

Slow and steady wins the Race. Hang in there and appreciate those 1-2 lbs loses. You'll GET there!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    You have a lot to lose so I think you'll lose more than that. Follow his instructions and see how much you lose. If he's wrong, yea you!! More weight lost! If not, at least you're following his orders. Right?
  • jkohan
    jkohan Posts: 184 Member
    hmm...not sure. I am down 20lbs in 2 months. I've never lost like this before, but I am exercising 4-5x a week and working with a trainer which I haven't done before. I eat 1900 (now 1800) calories before exercise calories...so I'm not "rushing" or over-doing it..but it's coming off!

I also have over 100lbs to lose though..so maybe that's it?
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    If I read your ticker right, you are at 285 lbs, looking to drop to 160. Right??

At 285 lbs, on an 1800 cal diet, with 30 minutes of walking a day, I'll bet that you will end up losing 2lbs a week for the first two months, easy. *shrug* Just my opinion.

I also think that the slower the weight comes off, the more likely you are to keep it off. Sure you can starve yourself and drop the weight lickety-split, but the moment you start eating again, it will all come back. However, if you change your eating habits a little at a time, the weight comes off a little a time.... but the habits stay forever... so the weight keeps coming off, slowly. See how that works?

Don't worry about what the doc thinks you'll lose. Don't worry about how much weight will come off in what amount of time. Worry about sticking to the 1800 cals and walking 30 min daily. THAT is your current goal, not X number of pounds this month. :flowerforyou:
  • sunshinestate
    sunshinestate Posts: 110 Member
    I'm betting if you stick to 1800 calories & walking every day you're going to lose more than 3-4 pounds a month. :wink: I weigh nearly 100 pounds less than you and eat around 1700-1800 calories most days and run about 30 minutes most days and I'm losing about 6-7 pounds a month at this point.

I was losing weight too fast at first because I wasn't eating enough to keep up with the amount of exercise I was doing. I got myself into trouble and it took me 3 months to straighten my metabolism back out. Not something you want to have to do! :smile:

So, yeah, I think you should follow doctor's orders. 4 pounds a month is a good and healthy loss (though like I said, I'm betting you'll lose more if you stick with 1800 cals and exercise 30 minutes each day).

I LOVE YOUR TICKER!!!
  • amymeenieminymo
    amymeenieminymo Posts: 2,394 Member
    You'll probably lose more some weeks, but 1 pound a week is the reccomended goal to shoot for. It's not such a drastic change that you'll eventually burn out on it so you're more likely to stick with it. Also, losing too much weight too fast can create a lot of extra skin which can sometimes be worse than fat (appearnace wise) because there is really nothing you can do aside from surgery.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    I agree with other posters: Listen to your doctor and eat AT LEAST the 1800 calories he recommends. I have set my profile in MFP for a loss of 1/2 a pound a week so with my exercise calories I average around 1800 a day and have ACTUALLY been losing about 2 pounds a week. Change your habits to consistently eat less than you used to and you will succeed!
  • Gerkenstein
    Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
    WOW! Thanks for all the advice and encouragement! I figured I'd drop more to begin with due to the initial "shock" to the system. And he did say it was to make sure it was a LIFE change, not just a diet.

Phoenix- You read my ticker right. Just got weighed this morning at the dr. though I'm not sure I actually lost 5lbs.

Will keep everyone posted on the weight loss. Thank you for reassuring me in my moment of panic!
This discussion has been closed.