Kinda New

Options
I've been dabbling around in this thing for a little while, trying to just test around with what I can and can't eat before I topple over the calorie count. Today I'm starting very seriously. Yesterday was my first whole day without soda, this is a big deal for me as I was drinking almost a two liter of soda a day. It was a stress reliever, some people smoke I chug down pepsi and it actually would make me feel better. I swapped that out for Snapple for the time being, still not the best calorie wise but it has a lot less sugars than the soda. I'm twenty two years old, and I've constantly battled with my weight. I was formerly in the National Guard and had weighed 120 pounds at one point. However stress got to me, and depression adn I just couldn't stop eating, and I hit almost 200 pounds nad needless to say I'm not in the military anymore (really hard to run when you weight that much at only about 5'1. I'm doing this for my health, but also my self confidence. It's kind of an endless cycle for me. I feel fat, I hate how I look so I shove my face with food to make myself feel better only to feel worse the next time I look in the mirror. This year I just want to turn my life around.

Replies

• chanel1twenty
    chanel1twenty Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Hey there, shawnajackson. My name is Chanel and you and I are in similar situations. I'm 21 years-old, used to be 115lbs, and two kids later, am 208. It is very depressing and disheartening. I, too was a soda addict, switched to the zeros, and found Avitae-which I HIGHLY recommend to a soda pop addict. It's caffeinated water!! It had no taste and 90mg of natural caffeine in a 16.9oz bottle!

Feel free to friend me and message me anytime. I'm here for anything you need support, tips, knowledge, and an accountabili-buddy if you need one.
    I was studying to be a personal trainer and dietician before my back-to-back pregnancies and massive weight gain that came with them, and my family is split 50/50 between fitness trainers and morbidly obese. It's for this reason that I'm sympathetic, knowledgeable, and understanding to all sides and fitness levels.

Look forward to hearing from you,
    Chanel
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    OH! I'm going to have to look into that for sure because I'm just sitting here at work going 'man I really want a soda'. It is so disheartening to gain so much weight and especially when I hear it from family members and things of that nature that I 'used to be so skinny' I can't wait to start going to the gym and I'm hoping to get the Insanity work out because depsite the name I actually really enjoyed that work out and loved the results!
  • Padf00t
    Padf00t Posts: 10
    Options
    Hey everyone, today is my first day at MyFitnessPal and hopefully the first day of starting my healthier life! I have a wonderful mum who is very encouraging about my weight loss. However mums being mums she thinks I always look great! Lol! So it would be fantastic to have friends not so close to home who can give me 'tough love'. A firmer form of encouragement to stop me from making those little slips. I in turn would love to help anyone who may need it. :o)
    Please feel free to contact me I hope we can be friends!

• Kauaiartist
    Kauaiartist Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Aloha! Congratulations for taking first steps to taking back control of your body and health! You CAN do it and big star to you for working on getting off the sodas (we call soft drinks sodas in Hawaii!) I used to be a CocaCola addict in the day - DIET COKE - and it's no better for you than regular in my mind - full of chemicals - doing nothing for your body at all - now and again - I will "treat" myself to one - but never buy them by the case to store in my home! Find something that works - I'd say wean yourself off of the caffeine if you can - I do love my coffee in the morning - but drinking caffeine all day isn't too healthy either....I enjoy iced tea and have learned to love ice water - I also will make my own lemonade with stevia - that helped me as well to get off the other stuff. I would also suggest finding a form (or several) of exercise that you really love - if it's the gym, great - I found Zumba and it's amazing how it has transformed my body along with watching the calories. And so even at age 61 - it is still do-able to lose weight! Enjoy the journey - it is exhilarating - if you need a friend here - feel free to add me on - I am here everyday! Aloha from Kauai! :flowerforyou:
  • udderlyfantastic
    udderlyfantastic Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm a newbie! Hope that I can make some new friends who are aiming for the same things as me?
  • MaydayParadeGirl
    MaydayParadeGirl Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Soda's the only caffeine I drink! I hate coffee, so this is now day two, completely, with not even a sip of soda. I'm so tired but I know it's going to get easier. Good luck to everyone else whose posting that they're new too! I have a good feeling about this.
  • 35fitmomboss35
    35fitmomboss35 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I too am trying to really cut out the soda. Keep pushing, i find water with a little lemon or lime in it once in a while helps too gives it a little different taste but low cals and no caffine. Good luck feel free to add me if you would like. I'm not perfect and i know if but i love to offer support to anyone who wants it. I'm not new new to MFP but i would really like to start getting everything posted daily.
  • sharon_moyer
    sharon_moyer Posts: 177
    Options
    I sent you a friend request and this is what we all need- people that will encourage and support us.
  • ScarletFyre
    ScarletFyre Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hi, all! I have been on this site for a while, and finally started seriously using it, working out etc, about a year ago; feel free to add me if you like! :smile: