30DS with resistance bands instead of weights?

Options
So I've been thinking about starting 30DS since I should be able to do it in my room (no real work out space in my apartment) and I've heard of some fabulous results from it. But, I don't have weights, nor do I want to buy them. I have a resistance band that I usually use instead, so I was just wondering if anyone knows if I would be able to use the band instead of weights for 30DS? I know I may not be able to do all of the exercises exactly the same way, but will I be able to do most of them, at least? Any opinions/advice/experience?

Replies

• neacail
    neacail Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    You will be able to do fewer than 33% of the resistance exercises using resistance bands.
  • Mimoki
    Mimoki Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I use two 500 ml water bottles, there only a little more than a pound, but weights are exactly easy to come by out here in the middle of no where. Lol.
  • Colleen118
    Colleen118 Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Depends on the bands and you would have to modify moves to work with bands which could provide different results but it is worth a shot... I say go for it and do what you can with bands. Otherwise, rather than 20oz water bottles, go purchase two sports bottles that will hold 32 oz. Fill those and it will give you about 2lbs per. Even without weights, 30DS should still yield some decent results.
  • kriskris92
    kriskris92 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Thanks Mimoki and Colleen - I will definitely try the first day at least with the bands and if it's not possible, I will use water bottles or some sort of makeshift weight.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    You know can order weights fairly cheap on amazon.
  • kriskris92
    Options
    I'm not looking to spend any extra money right now and I don't generally shop online.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Fill empty milk jugs with water or sand = free weights =)
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I bought a set of handweights last summer, but for about a year before that I used resistance bands for everything. I sometimes had to modify the moves, slightly, but I was getting a meaningful workout in. When I did 30DS I was so new to exercising that I didn't use anything, I just moved my body, so I'm not sure how it would work, but it seemed to work ok for other JM workouts. I really like the freedom of movement that comes with using handweights, though.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    use gallon jugs of water
    I'm not looking to spend any extra money right now and don't generally shop online.

why not??
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    my boyfriend attempted to use a resistance band for the 30DS (yes, he also tried the 30DS, to support me, he didnt last long lol) and found it hard to do the exercises with the bands.

The first 2 or 3 days I didn't have weights so I used soup cans lol.
  • Viva81Diva
    Viva81Diva Posts: 148
    Options
    If you can find ways to modify the moves with the bands and still maintain proper form, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to. You just have to adjust the move to where it works with the band.

I'm doing TapouT XT right now, and use resistance bands with it. Although they come with it, I could always choose to use weights instead.

If you want more intensity, then just shorten the band on either side. I'm sure you may already know that, though. :)
  • kriskris92
    Options
    my boyfriend attempted to use a resistance band for the 30DS (yes, he also tried the 30DS, to support me, he didnt last long lol) and found it hard to do the exercises with the bands.

The first 2 or 3 days I didn't have weights so I used soup cans lol.
    Thanks, that's helpful to know that someone else has tried it at least. I'll probably see how it goes the first day and then make my own weights if it's not feasible.
    If you can find ways to modify the moves with the bands and still maintain proper form, then I don't see why you shouldn't be able to. You just have to adjust the move to where it works with the band.

I'm doing TapouT XT right now, and use resistance bands with it. Although they come with it, I could always choose to use weights instead.

If you want more intensity, then just shorten the band on either side. I'm sure you may already know that, though. :)
    I might have to look in to that if it is more geared towards bands! Thanks :)
    I bought a set of handweights last summer, but for about a year before that I used resistance bands for everything. I sometimes had to modify the moves, slightly, but I was getting a meaningful workout in. When I did 30DS I was so new to exercising that I didn't use anything, I just moved my body, so I'm not sure how it would work, but it seemed to work ok for other JM workouts. I really like the freedom of movement that comes with using handweights, though.
    Thanks! I might have to check out some of her others to see if they might be more suitable for bands :)
  • violetrix
    violetrix Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'm currently using 750ml bottles of water and I feel like I'm getting quite a good work out. Just use whatever you have for the moment.
  • kriskris92
    Options
    I'm currently using 750ml bottles of water and I feel like I'm getting quite a good work out. Just use whatever you have for the moment.
    That's great to know, thanks!
  • kriskris92
    Options
    For anyone who cares, I just completed my first day on level 1 and could do all but one of the exercises using bands instead of weights. :)
  • SolanumSunrise
    SolanumSunrise Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I use two 500 ml water bottles, there only a little more than a pound, but weights are exactly easy to come by out here in the middle of no where. Lol.

I did something similar and used 1L water bottles filled with sand. They were close to 3 lbs.