Calorie Range for 49-Year-Old Man, 5'8"

Options
Tigs63
Tigs63 Posts: 11 Member
My husband has been doing awesome!!!! He has lost 40 pounds by reducing his portion sizes, eating healthier foods, and exercising again -- now running over three miales every day. He has hit a plateau. He knows he needs to start lifting weights again. I thought the first step would be to get a handle on how much he is eating and what he is eating by tracking it on MFP. I track my food and exercise every day and lose steadily every week so I know it will help him. First step is knowing the calorie range for 49-year-old man who is 5'8'' --anyone out there similar to him?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Calculate his TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) and BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate).

http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html

Keep in mind these are just estimates and you may have to play around with the numbers a bit.

A healthy calorie range will be in between the 2 numbers. If you don't want to bother with logging exercise, ect. Then choose a TDEE activity level that includes the amount of exercise he does. Then take that number and subtract a percentage. Depending on how much he has to lose that is. If he has a lot of weight to lose (100+ lbs), then go for maybe a 20-25% deficit (as long as that doesn't drop the number below his BMR). If he has very little weight to lose, then go for a 5-10% deficit.

Or if you want to take exercise into account, go for a little higher than his BMR and add exercise calories back.