Desert ideas for memorial day picnic

krislshoe
krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
edited September 21 in Recipes
:smile: Hey all. I need some tasty dessert ideas for a memorial day picnic. I thought about making ice cream sandwiches with grahm crackers and fat free whipped topping but any other ideas would be great. Thanks.

Replies

• pamela35
    pamela35 Posts: 14
    Try the Kool-aide Pie, So good, fat free whipped crea, 1 can of sweet condensed milk and a pack of strawberry kool adie in a graham cracker crust, just chill and serve! Also, you can substitute the condensed milk with flavored yogurt and use jello pack instead of kool aide!
  • sweet148angel
    sweet148angel Posts: 27 Member
    Take an angle food cake and cut it into larger than bitesized chunks. Layer a pan or trifle dish with the angel food cake, mixed fat/sugar free vanilla pudding, fresh sliced stawberries. Sometimes we add fatfree coolwhip on top.
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    I just started making this to throw into a trifle bowl.

Sugar Free pudding (I use chocolate, but I have lovely ideas for more flavors)
    Angel food cake, cut into squares
    CoolWhip Free, Lowfat, whatever you want
    Strawberries, quartered.

Layer it in the bowl & it is YUMMY!

I also made one this weekend for a BBQ that was all of the above except for blackberries instead of strawberries.
  • cardswimmom
    cardswimmom Posts: 71
    Black bean brownies....no flour, so good, and you can't taste the black beans (even the kids were fooled).

Amazing Black Bean Brownie RecipeFor those of you who have a hard time tracking down agave nectar (which is becoming much more readily available) substitute honey 1:1 for the agave nectar. Store these brownies in the refrigerator, they will slice much better if refrigerated several hours or preferably overnight. This calls for instant coffee, but you can find natural coffee substitute at many natural food stores.

4 ounces unsweetened chocolate
    1 cup unsalted butter
    2 cups soft-cooked black beans, drained well (canned is fine)
    1 cup walnuts, chopped
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    ¼ cup (granulated) natural coffee substitute (or instant coffee, for gluten-sensitive)
    ¼ teaspoon sea salt
    4 large eggs
    1½ cups light agave nectar
    Preheat the oven to 325°F. Line an 11- by 18-inch (rimmed) baking pan (hs note: or jellyroll pan) with parchment paper and lightly oil with canola oil spray.

Melt the chocolate and butter in a glass bowl in the microwave for 1 1/2 to 2 minutes on high. Stir with a spoon to melt the chocolate completely. Place the beans, 1/2 cup of the walnuts, the vanilla extract, and a couple of spoonfuls of the melted chocolate mixture into the bowl of a food processor. Blend about 2 minutes, or until smooth. The batter should be thick and the beans smooth. Set aside.

In a large bowl, mix together the remaining 1/2 cup walnuts, remaining melted chocolate mixture, coffee substitute, and salt. Mix well and set aside.

In a separate bowl, with an electric mixer beat the eggs until light and creamy, about 1 minute. Add the agave nectar and beat well. Set aside.

Add the bean/chocolate mixture to the coffee/chocolate mixture. Stir until blended well.

Add the egg mixture, reserving about 1/2 cup. Mix well. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/2 cup egg mixture until light and fluffy. Drizzle over the brownie batter. Use a wooden toothpick to pull the egg mixture through the batter, creating a marbled effect. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the brownies are set. Let cool in the pan completely before cutting into squares. (They will be soft until refrigerated.)
    Makes 45 (2-inch) brownies.
  • mommamills
    mommamills Posts: 437
    I could def use a few ideas myself! The icecream sandwiches sound very yummy....could you share the recipe? :flowerforyou:
  • 3babybeans
    3babybeans Posts: 8,268 Member
    Take an angle food cake and cut it into larger than bitesized chunks. Layer a pan or trifle dish with the angel food cake, mixed fat/sugar free vanilla pudding, fresh sliced stawberries. Sometimes we add fatfree coolwhip on top.

:laugh: I didn't see this before I posted. See! It's yummy! LOL
  • cassh82
    cassh82 Posts: 1
    Cheesecake Filled Strawberries.....very yummy and low cal!

1-8 oz. package of fat-free cream cheese
    1/3 cup powdered sugar
    2 tsp. lemon juice
    1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs
    approx. 40 medium sized strawberries

Mix first 3 ingredients and put into ziplock bag, hollow out strawberries, pipe cream cheese mixture into strawberries. Dip into graham cracker crumbs. Easy and delicious!
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    I don't know where you are, but we love frozen desserts this time of year in FL. I mix 1 tub of fat free cool whip - 2 containers of your choice of flavor fat free yogurt (Publix has really good ones). Poor into Grahm cracker crust and freeze. A really great dessert, no fat and low calories
  • dansdeb
    dansdeb Posts: 164
    that sounds wonderful - going to have to try it :) thanks (the filled strawberries)
  • asltiffm
    asltiffm Posts: 521 Member
    Cheesecake Filled Strawberries.....very yummy and low cal!

1-8 oz. package of fat-free cream cheese
    1/3 cup powdered sugar
    2 tsp. lemon juice
    1/2 cup of graham cracker crumbs
    approx. 40 medium sized strawberries

Mix first 3 ingredients and put into ziplock bag, hollow out strawberries, pipe cream cheese mixture into strawberries. Dip into graham cracker crumbs. Easy and delicious!

Wow, does that sound good!
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    I could def use a few ideas myself! The icecream sandwiches sound very yummy....could you share the recipe? :flowerforyou:

oh that is just using fat free cool whip (2TBsp) and a grahm cracker (breal a whole one in half) put the whipped topping in between the two and freeze....my kids love these as well....they are right beside the regular ice cream sandwiches in our freezer and they grab these...go figure:) Each sandwich is only 90 cal.
  • ksills05
    ksills05 Posts: 11
    "I don't know where you are, but we love frozen desserts this time of year in FL. I mix 1 tub of fat free cool whip - 2 containers of your choice of flavor fat free yogurt (Publix has really good ones). Poor into Grahm cracker crust and freeze. A really great dessert, no fat and low calories"

Are these just the single serve size yogurt containers?
  • smae1980
    smae1980 Posts: 794 Member
    I have a great recipe for a fruit tart from the cooking light cookbook from a few years ago. If you want it, message me and I will look it up for you. it had a light custard on a pie crust topped with all sorts of fruit and I think it was only like 230 cal a serving. let me know if you're interested and I'll get back to ya
  • FitToBeFab
    FitToBeFab Posts: 537 Member
    Diet soda cake made in to cupcakes!!

I used white cake and ginger ale. I'm sure you can use diet ginger ale and it would taste just as good.

I topped them with strawberry halves! Delish!
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    I saw a yummy one in my fitness mag, its a spin on the yummy fav smores! You use dark chocolate and bananas instead of marshmallows.

I make a homemade fruit salad that is delic:

1 cup cut strawberries
    1 peach diced
    1 cup cut pineapple
    1 apple diced

mix 2tbls honey, with the juice of 1/2 a lemon and mix in to fruit. Top with chopped or sliced almonds right before serving.
This discussion has been closed.