Should I take the day off?

Options
So on Saturday I tried my hand at deadlifts for the first time. I think the weight was 65 pounds (not 100% sure what the bar weighs, but I assume 45). Welllll, I did 4 sets (1st was a warmup, followed by 8-10 rep sets), and ended up injuring myself. My back started feeling pretty tweaked a couple of hours after, and I spent the most of the day infirmed yesterday.

Well, today my back is feeling significantly better, but it still feels like there is quite a bit of pressure on my back. I was thinking I could just run a couple of miles today so that I could get some physical activity. I'm sure some of you will recommend going on a walk instead, but I am unfortunately a prisoner to the school of thought that holds that a walk is a waste of time.

So what do you guys think? Should I hold off on working out today and possibly tomorrow and let this ol' back of mine recover? Or should I stuff it and run 3 miles?

(P.S. - I plan to return and conquer the deadlift when I'm fully healed)

Replies

• briabner
    briabner Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    If you feel you can go for a run then do it. I would definitely stretch out your back really well before and after and maybe take a slower pace of running that usual.