Splenda

Options

Replies

• needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to kick the splenda habit ...not happy about it! I can't seem to adjust to stevia. I may be using too much...? Not finding it worth the efforts. I found a blue agave sweetener that is promoted as a low glycemic sweetener. It is caloric, though. 1TBSP is 60 calories but you can less of it than you would of sugar. I think it's tasty, and very much like honey. :ohwell:
  • needamulligan
    needamulligan Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    ........ok. You all have convinced me. I guess that I'll just have to budget the calories of a more natural sweetener as a treat. :frown:
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    you are correct - artificial sweeteners are TERRIBLE For you!! avoid them as much as possible! i am convinced they played a HUGE part in the cancer that killed my mother 3 years ago.
    and yes, other posters - stevia is the way to go but make sure you get 100% stevia... not truvia or things like that --- they are chemically created... 100% pure stevia is natural... and you only need a tiny bit to sweeten things! (I get mine at Trader Joes or Whole Foods... but they are starting to show up at regular grocery stores, too)

:o)

I concur with this also!!!

Is the Sweet Leaf brand better than Truvia? I am trying to avoid the chemicals as well, and had no idea Truvia was in that boat. So far these are the only 2 stevia products I can find in my town. I'd be open to other suggestions as well.

Sweet Leaf is 100% stevia.
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    you are correct - artificial sweeteners are TERRIBLE For you!! avoid them as much as possible! i am convinced they played a HUGE part in the cancer that killed my mother 3 years ago.
    and yes, other posters - stevia is the way to go but make sure you get 100% stevia... not truvia or things like that --- they are chemically created... 100% pure stevia is natural... and you only need a tiny bit to sweeten things! (I get mine at Trader Joes or Whole Foods... but they are starting to show up at regular grocery stores, too)

:o)

I concur with this also!!!

Is the Sweet Leaf brand better than Truvia? I am trying to avoid the chemicals as well, and had no idea Truvia was in that boat. So far these are the only 2 stevia products I can find in my town. I'd be open to other suggestions as well.

Yes I believe Truvia has Stivia and a added Sugar Alcohol in it.
  • jerren
    jerren Posts: 196
    Options
    I suppose today will be my last day using splenda then. lol, my wife just handed me a a box with 100 packets in it this morning. She's gonna be upset when I'm handing it back to her.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Yea me too lol. I really like splenda :( I have noticed I get bloated a lot even when it is not that time of the month. I have been working out like crazy and sticking to my calories and I coudlnt figure out why I am so bloated. Now that I think of it. I noticed I feel thinner when I eat cereal with milk even though the meal has more caloreis (no splenda) than I do when I eat cottage cheese or plain yogurt (added splenda) with fruit. I am going to kick it out of my diet. My dad did get stevia and put it in koolade and it was gross!! I will try it in my coffee tomorrow. I wish I could be a man about it and just drink black coffee :laugh:
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Zevia is a soda made with Stevia for the die hard soda drinkers.
  • Alleghany
    Alleghany Posts: 200
    Options
    Has anyone tried ZSWEET?

I just bought Zsweet at Whole Foods yesterday and it tastes a lot like Splenda but appears to be natural. I tasted it today and I like it. I try and I try but I just can't do stevia (hate the taste) and agave is great but I don't like all the cals. Zsweet (http://www.zsweet.com/htmls/dr-weil-sweetener.html) is supposedly made from a sugar alcohol found in many fruits/fermented foods like soy sauce, cheese, and wine but has ZERO cals. It also has no effect on blood sugar. As long as it's as benign as it sounds, I may have hit the jackpot!!! You may want to give it a try.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    Sobe Lifewaters rock! I love the Fuji apple one and never thought I'd be able to give up my Fresca!
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Day 3 of 0 Splenda. I feel like my stomach has went down already!! I actually feel thin today! Obviuosly diet and execise to a factor. I have been eating and working out just the same. Thats how I know it could be the splenda.
  • hymiesmom
    hymiesmom Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm diabetic so I'm guess I'm just screwed. Sugar and honey would send me into a coma, and splenda is rat poison.

have you looked at Agave Nectar? It is said to have a low glycemic index... i use Raw Organic Agave Nectar from Whole Foods... good luck!

I use raw organic agave as well and I love it! I keep a bottle at work and at home so I can sweeten my coffee/tea in both places!
  • dj_stevie_c
    dj_stevie_c Posts: 270
    Options
    Uh, I only use a little bit of splenda. On my cereal if I have it.

Will have to go look for this other stuff now. Splenda was recommended by my DOCTOR as it was from sugar rather than artificial. Fat lot of good that does me.

Also my one, big, vice is Pepsi Max. I used to get through 4 ltrs a day of it, but that's dropped to around 2ltrs now as I'm dirnking a lot more water. I once cut out all diet soda's, had bad withdraw simptoms, but going to make plans to try and get off it again. water is great, water is great, water is great, water is great....
  • abeare
    abeare Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    This may sound really Canadian of me, but I use Maple syrup as a sugar substitute. It is 50 calories per Tbsp, and is 100% natural. Its great for baking with and actually gives a nice flavor to a coffee.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    This may sound really Canadian of me, but I use Maple syrup as a sugar substitute. It is 50 calories per Tbsp, and is 100% natural. Its great for baking with and actually gives a nice flavor to a coffee.

Really in the coffee?? Yea I have not been diggin this Sun Crystal stuff in my coffee.. Hmm Low sugar might not be so bad.. Hmmmmmmmmmmmm
  • sbilyeu75
    sbilyeu75 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I use honey when I bake bread or I do use plain old organic sugar. I just account for the sugar. When I was pregnant they told me to not use aspartame because it accumulates in you. I tried to use splenda but the whole poison thing bothered me, so I just didn't use it.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Ew it accumulates.. Thats gross!! I will drink it once in a while if I get coffee from DD. Thats like once 1-3 times a month. I wish I could man it up and drink black!
  • lmr9
    lmr9 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    NATURAL ALL THE WAY! :happy: :flowerforyou:
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    wow! Had no idea! Thanks for posting this topic! I don't use any sweeteners accept natural sugar and only when baking. But my husband uses splenda... or USED splenda.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    Options
    Just giving you guys an update. I am week 3 with no splenda. I have noticed that mty stomach doesnt get bloated like it use to. Even during menstration (sorry boys). Also I feel skinner too and its not just diet bc I havnet been as strict as I was before. Also my appetite has gone down so much!!
  • elmct57
    elmct57 Posts: 594 Member
    Options
    agave, honey, real sugar if it's just a tsp., xylitol and other polyols in moderation (these are sugar alcohols from fruits, berries & birch trees), and DiabetiSweet brown sugar substitute.