Im confused about losing weight.. :l

Options
I have a BMR of 2419.15, so does that mean if I ate 1500 calories a day I'd naturally burn around 919 calories?

Replies

• AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    BMR is how many calories you need to maintain your current weight if you sat all day long. If you slept or sat all day long, 900 would be correct.
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    BMR is the amount of calories you would burn if you were in a coma. Is 2419.15 really your BMR? (lucky guy!) To your BMR you would need to add calories burned due to daily activities, exercise, and the calories burned eating (i.e. your TDEE). You need to get a calculator for your TDEE, and subtract the 1500 off of it to get your deficit (but that is going to be HUGE, probably too big...most on here do not recommend more than TDEE-30% and that is if you are severely obese).
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    No, this isn't completely accurate. BMR is the calories you need if you were in a coma. Since no one is walking around in a coma, you need more calories.

Once you have your BMR, you multiply it by your activity level. From there, you can reduce based on your desired goal.

Multiplier Activity Level
    1.2 Little to no exercise
    1.375 Light exercise (1–3 days per week)
    1.55 Moderate exercise (3–5 days per week)
    1.725 Heavy exercise (6–7 days per week)

Basically I'm assuming your number before your goal would be around 2900 if you worked a desk job and have a very inactive life. So if you wanted to lose 2 lbs a week you could reduce that to 1900 a day.

If you have a more active lifestyle, then you would actually get more calories to eat. While still losing weight.

BMR is how many calories you need to maintain your current weight if you sat all day long. If you slept or sat all day long, 900 would be correct.
  • 777twist
    777twist Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    That being said... other than understanding the math (and that's a good thing), you could just use the system that MFP has setup. It's all built in. It's not perfect, but until you lose a lot weight or hit plateaus, it's not worth stressing over a few cals here or there.
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    That being said... other than understanding the math (and that's a good thing), you could just use the system that MFP has setup. It's all built in. It's not perfect, but until you lose a lot weight or hit plateaus, it's not worth stressing over a few cals here or there.

Why do you need to be in a coma? A Dietitian will measure your BMR with a breathing machine while you are sitting, not in a coma.
  • bizzyeck
    bizzyeck Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    The Dietitan will measure your resting metabolic rate (RMR) this is not the same as basic metabolic rate (BMR)