Lifting + weightloss?

Options
I recently started lifting, about two months ago and I am vegetarian. I wasn't have much success at first in terms of getting stronger since I was on a low cal diet (1500 or less) and then I moved up to 1800-2100 daily and seem to be doing well as my ability to lift higher weight improved quickly and dramatically. I also increased my protein to at least 80g a day, sometimes over 100g. But alas no weight loss...but tbh I had no weight loss on the low calorie diet either and I know people say go by inches or how your clothes fits. No change in clothes at all. My arms and back look better. (I will refrain from using words like toned since that's apparently a bad word so I'll just say they look better)....so my question is is this normal? Will I ever lose fat if I keep this up? I lift 2-3 days a week. Here's what I do, I'd like to add more to it but I don't know what else to add really. I have a crappy wrist so I don't do push ups. I also do abs twice a week and cardio-type pilates stuff two days a week when I am not lifting. I end each lifting session with 10-15 mins of cardio on the arch trainer or elliptical or something.

first day - 10 reps each, 2 sets

bicep curls 12.5lbs
hammer curls 12.5 lbs
lawn mower (can't really explain maybe it's on google)
row machine 35lbs
pull down machine 50lbs

second day - 10 reps, 2 sets
squats, no weight 30
swiss ball squats 15
front raises 7.5
side raises 5
shoulder press 30

day 3 - 10 reps, 2 sets
pushdown machine 30lbs
overhead extensions 12.5
tricep kickbacks 12.5
chest press machine 30
chest fly machine 40

Replies

• deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    What is your estimated TDEE?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,394 MFP Moderator
    Options
    What are your stats?
  • craigmandu
    craigmandu Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    I have a crappy wrist so I don't do push ups.

Put that in some context....do you have an injury or are your wrists simply weak?

To get the most from weight training you need at least do:

Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Back Rows
    Shoulder Press/OHP

Now these exercises have a very significant reliance on the wrist....have you tried these? Not with heavy weight, but light weight....

For instance Squats with the bar only
    Deadlifts with bar + 10s (note you have to put a couple of 25s stacked so the bar is high enough for good form)
    Bench press with bar only (if that is too heavy, then dumbell presses with 15lb dumbells)
    Either Barbell row -bar only...or alternating dumbell back rows - 15-20lb dumbell.
    Shoulder Press - bar only, or dumbell shoulder press with 10-15lb dumbells

I am interested to know if you try these if you can do them with your current wrist issues.
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    I heard to take in 1 gram of protein per lbs of body weight is best, you could google it or ask someone on here. I've been figuring it all out as I go but my pics from this weekend I look a lot better than I did a month ago with lifting and I have not lost a pound. But total inches lost all over is 5. Do you work out in a gym or at home? because I can maybe suggest some new moves? I am just going with it because looking at the: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/979178-halp-heavy-lifting-made-me-supah-bulky?hl=HALP there are more of these I seen someone who had a belly like mine and it disappeared in the photo's so Im going to try this for a year. 6 months into it I may as well throw in 6 more to make sure it doesn't work I have my whole life to look amazing so right now Im not just going to keep getting frustrated after 6 weeks and try something new. It seems to be working great though, I have been working real hard during my workouts :)
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    What are your stats?

female 25, 168.2lbs, 5'2"
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    supposedly about 2300 according to scooby. I put moderately active since I exercise 4-5 days a week
  • psuLemon
    Options
    supposedly about 2300 according to scooby. I put moderately active since I exercise 4-5 days a week

If that is the case 1800 would be reasonable. Can you open your diary? Also, do you have any medical conditions like PCOS or hypothyroidism? Have you gotten blood work recently? Also, how long were you on the low calorie diet? Also, how long have you been lifting?
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options

If that is the case 1800 would be reasonable. Can you open your diary? Also, do you have any medical conditions like PCOS or hypothyroidism? Have you gotten blood work recently? Also, how long were you on the low calorie diet? Also, how long have you been lifting?

I have hypertension which I am on medication for, I will be going to get my perscription re-evaluated next week and some blood work, def going to get my thyroid check out. I was on that particular low calorie diet for about 3 months. Prior to that I ate around 1800-2500 for 6 months and during which for part of that time I was on a medication with a side effect of weight gain and gained 10lbs which I still can't get off despite stopping that medication in decemeber. I have opened my diary, you best view of my eating habits will be prior to last monday as I did't log much last week as I was busy with school and out of town.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Bump
  • psuLemon
    Options
    It's possible the medication you are on will cause water retention very similar to my wife's medication (fludrocordisone). In cases like that, it may also have an effect on you metabolic rate (although I am unsure and would suggest deferring to your Dr on that). If you gain when you were eating 1800-2500 (and that is a huge difference between the ranges) I would suggest maybe setting your calories around 1500 but also, reducing carbs. Reducing carbs can help with reducing water as your body will store less glycogen. This has helped my wife a little. Maybe try that for a month and see how it goes. If that doesn't work, it may be suggest to get your RMR tested or speak with your Dr. on changing the medication.
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Honestly there are so many variables here, it is difficult to advise. The first thing I would do is to be more consistent in trying to eat about the same amount of calories. 1800-2500 is a pretty big difference, and I'm almost certain the high end there is probably higher than your real TDEE, hence the lack of weight loss. Since you did say that you notice a difference in your arms and back, you probably have had some fat loss.

Oops, just seeing that psulemon replied while I was thinking about what to write. I agree.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    Honestly there are so many variables here, it is difficult to advise. The first thing I would do is to be more consistent in trying to eat about the same amount of calories. 1800-2500 is a pretty big difference, and I'm almost certain the high end there is probably higher than your real TDEE, hence the lack of weight loss. Since you did say that you notice a difference in your arms and back, you probably have had some fat loss.

Oops, just seeing that psulemon replied while I was thinking about what to write. I agree.

I was eating that large caloric range when I wasn't trying to lose weight because I was stressed out and sick for 6 months. But since cutting that drastically and less drastically to a smaller range neither works. I swear I could not eat for a 2wks and not lose weight.
  • redraidergirl2009
    Options
    It's possible the medication you are on will cause water retention very similar to my wife's medication (fludrocordisone). In cases like that, it may also have an effect on you metabolic rate (although I am unsure and would suggest deferring to your Dr on that). If you gain when you were eating 1800-2500 (and that is a huge difference between the ranges) I would suggest maybe setting your calories around 1500 but also, reducing carbs. Reducing carbs can help with reducing water as your body will store less glycogen. This has helped my wife a little. Maybe try that for a month and see how it goes. If that doesn't work, it may be suggest to get your RMR tested or speak with your Dr. on changing the medication.

I have tried reducing carbs which was unsuccessful and I am also vegetarian so it's a bit more difficult to really slash carbs, but I do try and keep 50% or less of my calories from them, well I did, at this point I don't care since reducing them had no effect. I'll ask my doctor to run some tests or switch up my meds because by all terms of science I should be losing weight, my metabolism could not have died completely when I was on a vlcdiet. I do have high stress levels so I've wondered about cortisol too and if it would have any effect. My bp med also does not work if I am angry or stressed out.
  • psuLemon
    Options

I have tried reducing carbs which was unsuccessful and I am also vegetarian so it's a bit more difficult to really slash carbs, but I do try and keep 50% or less of my calories from them, well I did, at this point I don't care since reducing them had no effect. I'll ask my doctor to run some tests or switch up my meds because by all terms of science I should be losing weight, my metabolism could not have died completely when I was on a vlcdiet. I do have high stress levels so I've wondered about cortisol too and if it would have any effect. My bp med also does not work if I am angry or stressed out.

Stress will prevent weight loss, so that's probably the first thing you should tackle. Even if you reduce carbs and you were really stressed out and barely eating, that wouldn't show good results. This is when it's tough being a vegetarian though. I would ask them to test you for insulin resistance.