TDEE flaw?

Options
2»

Replies

• shutupandlift13
    shutupandlift13 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    Okay, I changed my MFP settings to 0,5 lbs per week, and its 1500.

This is roughly what I'm eating now. Once I exercise, that goes down to about 1200-1300 calories...

MFP is giving you a NET. TDEE is giving you a TOTAL, technically you would have a non-exercise TDEE and an exercise TDEE.
  • peachfigs
    peachfigs Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys. I guess it's a case of being more patient with losing so slowly...
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Im trying to understand this as well... Lets say that a person (such as myself lol) with more than 10 LBS to lose has tdee of 1900 sedentary. so -20% is 1,520. Are you saying to eat 1,520 every day with this TDEE-20% method, and do not eat exercise calories back? Unlike with MFP method where you are probably eating less calories but you do eat exercise calories back?
  • vixtris
    vixtris Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Im trying to understand this as well... Lets say that a person (such as myself lol) with more than 10 LBS to lose has tdee of 1900 sedentary. so -20% is 1,520. Are you saying to eat 1,520 every day with this TDEE-20% method, and do not eat exercise calories back? Unlike with MFP method where you are probably eating less calories but you do eat exercise calories back?
    that's correct
    What if say, you do exercise that results in calories putting you under a net of 1200 for that day though?
  • Bettyeditor
    Bettyeditor Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    that's correct
    What if say, you do exercise that results in calories putting you under a net of 1200 for that day though?

Here's the real kicker, there is no scientific evidence to support eating back your calories. So... It would be fine. If you get hungry eat some if you do exercise taht much. You shouldn't though because your activity level would be higher. You shouldn't find yourself in that situation.

Wait, wait, wait, wait, wait..... "no scientific evidence to support eating back your calories"? What? You really believe that our bodies are "magic" and they can run a marathon on the same meal that we also use to fuel a Netflix marathon? Seriously? You don't think that if you expend a bunch of extra energy you need to eat extra food? In that case, why eat at all? Let's just give up food altogether if there is no relationship between the food/fuel we eat and the energy we burn.

OP, keep in mind that eating an average amount is inherently less accurate than eating actual workout calories. Its a guess. A prediction of how much you *think* you will workout that week. But it could be off by hundreds of calories. Don't let your net dip below your BRM. If it happens, eat back enough calories to stay above your BMR. Your body doesn't need fuel for a workout the next day and the next on average, it needs fuel for the workout NOW, when you are burning it. And if your burn nets you below BMR on a regular basis, then that is a reliable sign that your activity level is too low and that the "average amount" that you are eating is insufficient. So bump it up from "lightly" to "moderately" active or whatever the next level is to up your TDEE. If you net below your TDEE regularly, your TDEE is incorrectly too low. Err on the side of too many calories, rather than too few.