Ways to boost metabolism?

Options
2»

Replies

• Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Sprouts - Coconut Oil Organic Extra Virgin& Unrefined, 1 tablespoon daily can also be beneficial.
    Make sure its Extra Virgin & Unrefined.
    You can gradually increase tbls to up to 3-4 a day.

How does this boost one's metabolism?
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    Resistance like, with those bands? I'll look up ways to incorporate those. Thank you (:

do you have access to a gym?

Kind of? My grandma has a home gym, but I don't live with her anymore. I've just been doing the Wii exercising and dance stuff and brisk walking for 4 miles.

If you can join a gym, do it. If not, try some bodyweight exercises and buy a resistance band.
  • BurtHuttz
    BurtHuttz Posts: 3,653 Member
    Options
    If you can join a gym, do it. If not, try some bodyweight exercises and buy a resistance band.

Good advice.
    Here's another example: http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    If you are sedentary, your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure, or maintenance calories) is about 1800 calories.

If you have access to a gym, weights would be best, but any resistance training would be good. If you have been undereating for a while, you will probably see some short term gains from water weight and food weight.

Also important is being honest with your food intake. A food scale is a great tool and a cheap one is 10-15 dollars.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I apparently have been undereating for a very long time. I guess that lowers your metabolism? How do I kickstart it! I want a fast metabolism again!

By the way, if it matters, I'm 19 and 155lbs.

Weight lifting and paying attention to eating enough protein and micro-nutrients (that means eating your meat and veggies in mom-speak). :wink:
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Sprouts - Coconut Oil Organic Extra Virgin& Unrefined, 1 tablespoon daily can also be beneficial.

How does this boost one's metabolism?

Coconut oil is a source of Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCT). It helps your body to burn more calories. :smile:
  • itsnotmutualx3
    Options
    Well, thank you guys for all your advice and input! Feel free to keep discussing, obviously (: but y'all have definitely helped me and given me some things to try.
  • SanteMulberry
    Options
    Medium Chains Fatty Acid
    MCFAs can help increase metabolism since they are sent directly to the liver and give the body an instant source of energy. Most of the MCFAs in coconut oil are the highly beneficial Lauric Acid.

And lauric acid is very good for boosting the immune system.
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Medium Chains Fatty Acid
    MCFAs can help increase metabolism since they are sent directly to the liver and give the body an instant source of energy. Most of the MCFAs in coconut oil are the highly beneficial Lauric Acid.

And lauric acid is very good for boosting the immune system.

:love: :love: :love:
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
    :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Your so thorough!!
  • SteelySunshine
    SteelySunshine Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    You are really close to your ideal weight if you are large boned. So that is a really great thing. So in order to increase your metabolism I am going to echo what many have said, strength training. The beauty of this is that muscle burns more calories all the time. Cardio is really good for burning fat, so combine the two things and you will be changing your body composition which might be all you need.

Also being this close to your ideal means that trying to lose is pretty close to excruciatingly slow. I wouldn't even try to lose at this point without having a body fat test done. If you are at 20% or less you wouldn't need to lose weight at all.
  • itsnotmutualx3
    Options
    I'm actually not big boned. Here's a picture. I don't remember if it's on my profile or not.

http://s922.photobucket.com/user/bitemeho/media/IMG_3478.jpg.html
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    I just looked up my BMR and apparently it's 1540.75.
    That's how many calories you would burn just laying in bed all day. Your TDEE takes into account daily activity. 1800 is you calorie burn per day if you are mostly sedentary. If you are doing quite a bit of cardio like you said with the Wii and long walks, your TDEE will be higher.
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    Eat at a surplus until your metabolism repairs itself.
  • jameshundson
    Options
    You can go for natural metabolism booster supplements to increase your weight loss metabolism like raspberry ketone, Green coffee extract etc.
  • Anonymous4fitness
    Options
    Hey there! I would HIGHLY recommend looking into Cassey Ho's POP Pilates. You can find her blog at www.blogilates.com. She is fun, perky, and has a lot of healthy recipes, excercises video of strength-training, cardio, and stretching, as well as a couple of meal plans. She has one in particular called the 90-day challenge, where you do 50mins of POP Pilates, two rounds of her cardio vids (which range from 5-10 min) and eat five-six small meals a day. All her videos range from 5-10 mins, and she has modifications for beginners. You could start with maybe doing one of her vids a day, then bumping it up until you're stronger. If the videos on her blog are too hard to begin with, she also has a place on Livestrong Women called Pilates bootcamp for beginners, which kind of eases you into it and helps you get used to doing Pilates. One thing I really appreciate about her is that, while she does talk about weight loss, the main thing she talks about is having a healthy lifestyle, and getting strong, fit, and healthy. It's not overly focused on weight-loss like a lot of trainers are. Her blog also has what she calls the POPstar community, where you can talk with other people doing her videos.