How do you guys manage to stay on track during weekends?

Options
During the week I'm fine, have breakfast, go to work, come home to lunch, have dinner. Everything's okay.

Then comes Friday night... takeaway, bar of chocolate (220grams), ice cream.

Then comes Saturday... takeaway, bar of chocolate (220grams), ice cream

Sunday... takeaway, bar of chocolate (220grams) ice cream.

I basically remove all progress I've made and by monday have gained an extra 2-3kg's I need to get rid of. I live with a family of professional body builder males who eat junk during the weekend, then hardly anything/clean during the week and I've managed to convince myself (as well as them convincing me, lol) that I can do the same when I obviously can't.

So my question, how do I stop piling crap into my mouth EVERY weekend, how do I break this habit? I don't know how to eat in moderation, it's all or nothing.

Replies

• cnice321
    cnice321 Posts: 14
    Options
    Weekends are tough, especially because that's when I socialize and indulge. Three things have helped: 1) weekend workouts. Gives me more calories to work with. 2) checking restaurant menus and making decisions before I go out. 3) don't buy into the theory of free days. There are no free days! Free days make people think its ok to have whatever and how much they want. Don't be afraid to treat yourself every once in awhile (the more you deny, the weaker it makes your will), but set your limits before you indulge and log the calories first! Good luck on your fitness journey.
  • lemonyposset
    lemonyposset Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I've found whats helped me is to plan ahead for the weekends.
    And also to weigh in on a Friday morning. That way, if I see a loss it motivates me to keep going through the weekend.
    If theres no loss I know I have to knuckle down and get a loss for the following Friday.
  • alisonlynn1976
    alisonlynn1976 Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing each day so I get that out of the way.

As far as eating during social occasions, I don't deprive myself, but I don't overdo it either. Why does it have to be "all or nothing"?
  • dexter4564
    dexter4564 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    My weekends usually involve lots of drinking and not enough eating. Can't be too healthy, but my weight is the same on monday as it was on friday.
  • hardlyhappenstance
    Options
    I workout Monday through Friday and count calories Monday through Saturday.

On Sunday, I don't count or exercise, but I don't go crazy either.. I just let myself eat the extra slice of bread or have a bottle of beer or glass of wine or maybe dessert, but I don't binge.

I think if I deprived myself completely I would end up cheating a little every day, so if I give myself a day off from worrying about it all then I feel rewarded for my efforts.
  • Rarity2013
    Rarity2013 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I had very noble intentions when I started that I wouldn't let the weekends be a massive binge-session, but the moment I'm sat at home with my husband, treats ensue.

What I've done, is try to track all my weekend calories religiously (although I often don't even log in on Saturday and/or Sunday). This gives me a complete picture of what I do to myself over the weekend. I've found that after a month, I'm now starting to actively eat less over the weekend without denying myself anything. The awareness of the calories I'm likely to consume in beer or at a pub meal means I question "do I really want that?" each time something is offered.

From what you describe, the first thing I'd look at cutting down on is takeaways. Think of what you could do with the money you'd be saving if you only had one a week.
  • OfficerFuzzy
    OfficerFuzzy Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Planning a head.
    I don't get take aways, being poor and such, but on days I know I'm going out I try to pre-log in the morning when I wake up.
    Starting the day with focus helps me stay focused the rest of the day.

I also mainly sleep on my weekends, so...you know, it's a struggle. >.>
  • SenseiCole
    SenseiCole Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I have this rule that I personal stick too

I can have anything I want to eat or drink, so long as I have the cals to cover it

If I want it and I don't have the cals, I jump on the treadmill and I earn the cals

today I earnt over 500 Cals so I can have that 200ml bottle of wine and the 15gm of choc if I want

anyone can add me
  • bfridey
    bfridey Posts: 25
    Options
    I agree, it is super hard on the weekend. I'm really lazy so if I don't have something pre-prepared, I'll binge on junk.
    My first rule is that I don't buy junk. No biscuits. No chips/crisps. No chocolate (i buy Cacao powder & would have to make brownies from scratch). No processed junk. So it's hard to get a quick fix. The worst I could do is make a low fat chai latte or hot chocolate, or a spoon of peanut butter & that's not too bad.

Every Sunday, I cook 2-3 (vegetarian) meals and some veg side dishes and prepare quinoa or brown rice. Then I make up a weeks worth of portion controlled dishes so that I don't HAVE to cook when I get home late and don't feel like cooking at all.
    I also have a juicer so I can make a healthy juice, or fresh fruit on hand for a quick snack.

The same works for the weekend. I can either cook enough to spare through Saturday and add something else to it to make it feel a bit 'cheaty' on the weekend i.e. have a healthy dinner and make a protein dessert (see www.proteinpow.com for awesome recipes).
    OR I buy Weis icecream bars which are very little calories each and my husband have one Saturday & Sunday for dessert.
    Its a lovely treat but each bar is portion controlled and I think around 180cals so not naughty at all!

I also know the healthy take out options (Japanese is very healthy... Indian is not) so I make the right choices where I go.
    If i'm going to a restaurant for a friends birthday/function, I check their website ahead of time and decide based on assumed calories once punched into myfitnesspal, what i'm going to order- then I am not tempted to give in and grab something super-size or unclean.
    Believe me, it's all about willpower. and my problem is I LOVE FOOD!!!
    Hope this helps.
  • kaylabrose
    kaylabrose Posts: 71
    Options
    I have this rule that I personal stick too

I can have anything I want to eat or drink, so long as I have the cals to cover it

If I want it and I don't have the cals, I jump on the treadmill and I earn the cals

today I earnt over 500 Cals so I can have that 200ml bottle of wine and the 15gm of choc if I want

anyone can add me

This is actually a pretty amazing mindset. I'm going to try it from now on, thank you! adding!
  • kaylabrose
    kaylabrose Posts: 71
    Options
    I agree, it is super hard on the weekend. I'm really lazy so if I don't have something pre-prepared, I'll binge on junk.
    My first rule is that I don't buy junk. No biscuits. No chips/crisps. No chocolate (i buy Cacao powder & would have to make brownies from scratch). No processed junk. So it's hard to get a quick fix. The worst I could do is make a low fat chai latte or hot chocolate, or a spoon of peanut butter & that's not too bad.

Every Sunday, I cook 2-3 (vegetarian) meals and some veg side dishes and prepare quinoa or brown rice. Then I make up a weeks worth of portion controlled dishes so that I don't HAVE to cook when I get home late and don't feel like cooking at all.
    I also have a juicer so I can make a healthy juice, or fresh fruit on hand for a quick snack.

The same works for the weekend. I can either cook enough to spare through Saturday and add something else to it to make it feel a bit 'cheaty' on the weekend i.e. have a healthy dinner and make a protein dessert (see www.proteinpow.com for awesome recipes).
    OR I buy Weis icecream bars which are very little calories each and my husband have one Saturday & Sunday for dessert.
    Its a lovely treat but each bar is portion controlled and I think around 180cals so not naughty at all!

I also know the healthy take out options (Japanese is very healthy... Indian is not) so I make the right choices where I go.
    If i'm going to a restaurant for a friends birthday/function, I check their website ahead of time and decide based on assumed calories once punched into myfitnesspal, what i'm going to order- then I am not tempted to give in and grab something super-size or unclean.
    Believe me, it's all about willpower. and my problem is I LOVE FOOD!!!
    Hope this helps.

It does! thank you very much - I can tell you've done a ton of research, good luck with your weight loss :-)

Thanks to all who replied xo
  • rotill
    rotill Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I do it by making my "bad choices" really worth it. If I am to have chocolate, it will be the very best chocolate I can possibly find - which means I can't have as much, as it's expensive. Also, really good, dark chocolate tastes so intensely that I don't need as much! Same with take-away, if I have it, it's from the thai joint where I know they make the stir-fry from fresh goods for each order, or the sushi-place where I can get brown rice rather than white. This way I may go over, but what I get is healthy and nutritious, and it fills me up in a good way. That makes it easier to not overdo it, and it breaks the habit of eating junk without making me feel like I am missing anything.

Because, face it, most men can eat and burn a lot more than women, even without the extra boost they get from the larger muscle mass. Life is unfair that way. If we had still been hunter-gatherers, the guys would envy our more efficient bodies, and we could revel in how we store fat and survive long-term stress. But that's not what our current culture needs, so it's an obsolete survival trait at the moment.

Another thing though: It's week-end! You have time to cook great food! Why waste that opportunity on crappy take-away?
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I just go with it. I just stay at a deficit during the week which will allow me to loosen the reins a bit during the weekends. I don't gorge myself, but I allow myself that chocolate bar and the pizza. I also make sure I'm getting a good workout in on those days and drinking lots of water.
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    I do it by making my "bad choices" really worth it. If I am to have chocolate, it will be the very best chocolate I can possibly find

Because, face it, most men can eat and burn a lot more than women,

These are two really good points! I love chocolate and treats and ensure that I workout hard and earn those treats..
    Instead of a bar of chocolate I enjoy a few squares of really intense dark chocolate or frozen yoghurt (Ben&Jerry's do a amazing chocolate brownie) which is lower fat, lower calories and just as satisfying.
    Plus as I have more time over the weekend, I ensure that I have one 'full on' burn day when I burn 800+ and then enjoy a weekend treat...
    Hope this helps :)
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Easy, it's just another day. Nothing should change on a weekend.
  • alwayskungfu
    Options
    Just up the activity at the weekend, go hike up a mountain, bike 20 miles on a trail, garden all day, have a swim and hit the gym whatever floats your boat, I often go off track at the weekends, but lifestyle change is a long road, you will not undo 5 days hard work with 2 bad days, you just slow down your progress, if you are lifting your body will definitely be useng some of those extra calories to repair and build muscle, you may weigh more but it will likely be extra muscle, life is for living as they say, good luck
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options

So my question, how do I stop piling crap into my mouth EVERY weekend, how do I break this habit? I don't know how to eat in moderation, it's all or nothing.

You listed chocolate bars. I would suggest taking one, breaking it into thirds and giving the parts to a supporter of your plan. Ask them to only give you one each day. Commit to not buying more.

I workout in the pool swimming laps at six am every Friday, Saturday and Sunday. This reminds me how much food "costs" in terms of my weight.

If you are eating well five days a week, then you have half the battle licked. Tell those around you that you're in food rehab and to not eat tempting stuff around you. You're an addict, so they need to take their drugs (junk food) away from you.

I had to do the same. Research foods and journal them BEFORE they go in your mouth.

If I know I'm going out on sat. or sun., I journal the whole meal on Friday, so that I know what adjustments to make during those days. Then, the only thing is sticking to your decided plan and portion size.

Friend me if you would like to. I'm glad to help along your path.

Jan
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    Actually I'd suggest just not buying the crap you put in your mouth & try some damn willpower. If you can't even stop buying it then why bother asking how to stop eating it?
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    Actually I'd suggest just not buying the crap you put in your mouth & try some damn willpower. If you can't even stop buying it then why bother asking how to stop eating it?

Because we live in a world where this stuff is abundantly available. We have to conquer it's power over us. We do that by not saying "never" but saying, "this much and no more, right now".
  • kellster111
    kellster111 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Try the intermintant fasting diet. You fast with only 500 calories for 2 days and the you can eat normally for 5 days.There was study done in the UK by a doctor and it worked for him, but I think you will need to moderate what you eat at weekends as it won't offset your binging at weekends.