This is possibly the silliest question ever..

hey guys !
im new to this.
i use to eat junk food after junk food.. (mainly because of my weed addiction, dont judge please)
i went on a cruise in december since then i smoke about 80% less than i use to.

i want to eat healthy!
i have cut out all junk, and stick to the good stuff. but i dont understand where the calories are on packets!
on packeted food etc
does it say it on all foods?! i have 1 serve of greek yogart infornt of me and it says
energy 541kj (129 cals) 6% 318kj (76 cals) which one is it?!
also with carbs, fat total, sugars etc, what should i watch out for, how much should i be having per serving?
sorry i must sound so stupid but help would be appreciated!

Replies

• shadowlydarkness
    shadowlydarkness Posts: 243 Member
    Check what it says: does it say per serving or per 100 grams?
    Then look on the packet if it tells you how many servings are in that packet.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    I dont even know where to begin. Well I do, at the very very beginning. I dont have time though, so hopefully one of my friends will see this.

A calorie is a unit of energy. Your body requires X amount of calories per day, depending on weight, height, and activity level, for fuel.

I am assuming that the number following 6% is the calories from fat...maybe? Hard to say without seeing the label.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    hey guys !
    im new to this.
    i use to eat junk food after junk food.. (mainly because of my weed addiction, dont judge please)
    i went on a cruise in december since then i smoke about 80% less than i use to.

i want to eat healthy!
    i have cut out all junk, and stick to the good stuff. but i dont understand where the calories are on packets!
    on packeted food etc
    does it say it on all foods?! i have 1 serve of greek yogart infornt of me and it says
    energy 541kj (129 cals) 6% 318kj (76 cals) which one is it?!
    also with carbs, fat total, sugars etc, what should i watch out for, how much should i be having per serving?
    sorry i must sound so stupid but help would be appreciated!

You're going to find calories information on foods that have labels. For other foods - fresh fruits, vegetables, etc. - that come without labels, you'll have to increase your knowledge of nutrition. Once you start logging your food for a while, you get a sense of how many calories are in the foods you eat typically.
    How many calories total are you taking in each day with MFP? From there you can figure out your calories per meal.
  • tessi1993
    tessi1993 Posts: 186 Member
    it says 1250 calories per day.
    the yogart was 129 grams per serve 79 per 100grams so is this a good choice?
  • tessi1993
    i ate mixed nut spread for breakfast, it says nothing on it about calories?!
    whats this mean!!
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    /Head tilt

It doesn't have a measure of calories/energy on the label at all?
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    Look up the brand name and see if the nutritional information is on line.
  • tessi1993
    it has the energy? is that the same thing?
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    /Head tilt

It doesn't have a measure of calories/energy on the label at all?

in Aus/nz most things don't have cals on them they go by Kjs...someone told me to divide whatever kjs per serve is on the packet by 4.2 and it'll be pretty close to the right answer eg 780kj = 185 cals ( don't quote me on that though) per serving
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    still kinda unsure on what the question is sorry if that didn't help
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    it has the energy? is that the same thing?

I'm fairly certain energy (shown with kj, if I'm not mistaken) converts to calories with some formula or another.
  • tessi1993
    thank u so much! yes im australian not american probably should have mensioned that
    haha
  • tessi1993
    572kj divided by 4.2 = 136 :)
    that sounds right doesnt it?
  • tessi1993
    can you guys also check out my food for today?
    should i cut out the bread?

:)
  • herblackwings39
    herblackwings39 Posts: 3,930 Member
    572kj divided by 4.2 = 136 :)
    that sounds right doesnt it?

According to this conversion site it looks right. http://www.unitconversion.org/energy/kilojoules-to-calories-nutritional-conversion.html

You'll have to set your food diary to public if you want anyone to be able to see it.
  • tessi1993
    just put it on public please have alook :)
  • usually it tells you how much the whole container is worth then it tells you how much 1 serving is worth
  • tessi1993
    i no??

whats the deal chloe :S
  • A typical serving of yogurt (6-8 ounces), if it is low fat or fat free will be around 100-180 calories. It depends on the brand. For instance, Yoplait's regular yogurts run about 170 cal., while their fat free kind is 100. However, I find theirs too sweet, and typically go for Greek yogurt, either Dannon's Oikos brand, or Chobani. Also, there is Total 0%, but I have never had that and can't tell you how it tastes. Oikos and Chobani run around 100(if you get plain or vanilla) to 160(if you get fruit flavours et cetera. I also just recently found this brand called Siggy's Skyre(I think that's how you spell it) yogurt, supposedly made Icelandic style. It's all-natural, and pretty tasty, similar to that of Greek yogurt, though maybe not as tart. The one I had (passion fruit-pomegranate) had 100 cal. In it. So....yeah after that ridiculously long rant about yogurt, I don't even know if you have these brands in Australia, or of this helps, but, I hope it was of some use.
    Congrats on you new life style change with smoking and fitness! Keep it up, and God bless!