how is it possible to burn more calories then you eat?..

Options
especially on a 1500 calories diet.. how is it possible to burn more then you eat if they say more then a hour or 2 of cardio isnt good an thats not even 800 calories within a hour.. will my bmr play a role into my calories that i eat per day like for example my bmr is 2400 will i lose 900 calories off of me if i eat 1500 a day?

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Your body uses calories just to function everyday.

My stat estimates for yesterday (from fitbit):

Total Daily Burn: 2526 calories (includes the 416 calories I burned doing 42 mins of cardio exercise)
    Steps Taken: 8938
    Total Food Intake : 2114 calories

2526 - 2114 = 412 calorie deficit

So yesterday, I burned 412 calories more than I ate. I'm 5'4.5" and 200.4lbs currently.
  • TheGreat0ne
    TheGreat0ne Posts: 11
    Options
    you are talking about it uses calories as it burns calories as if i mean bmr right? my bmr is 2400.. i want to be on a 1500 calorie diet so how is it possible
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    "Definition: Basal metabolic rate (BMR) refers to the minimum amount of energy -- in the form of calories -- that your body requires to complete its normal functions, such as breathing, breaking down food, and keeping your heart and brain working. Age, gender, weight, and physical activity directly effect on basal metabolic rate."

My estimated BMR is around 1695. So I eat at the very least 1695 calories a day if I don't work out or do much of anything (like I watch tv all day or when I get really into a game).
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    you are talking about it uses calories as it burns calories as if i mean bmr right? my bmr is 2400.. i want to be on a 1500 calorie diet so how is it possible

What do you mean how is it possible?

That would be a 900 calorie deficit. To burn one pound of fat you need to burn or be at a deficit of 3500 calories. Therefore at a 900 calorie deficit per day you would be losing 1.8 pounds per week. In theory, anyway. It also depends on your body, metabolism, water intake... etc.
  • rabies
    rabies Posts: 62
    Options
    Calories are a measure of energy. The body uses energy in order to function, as well as for everything you do, including getting up out of bed, walking around and getting dressed. The amount of energy used for things like breathing, keeping your temperature at 37C and so on is called your Base Metabolic Rate, or BMR. This is the amount used if you lie prone 24 hours a day, not moving a muscle.

On top of that you actually DO stuff, which adds to your energy expenditure. This energy plus your BMR is your Total Daily Energy Expenditure (TDEE), and varies depending on your level of activity. Someone driving everywhere and sitting at a desk all day will have a lower TDEE than someone working out 3 days a week. Mine is about 2800kcal/day.

If you eat less than your TDEE you will lose weight, and if you eat more you will gain weight.
  • pinkraynedropjacki
    pinkraynedropjacki Posts: 3,027 Member
    Options
    It's not hard at all. I do that most days.
  • confetti_blind
    confetti_blind Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    its possible to eat less than your BMR cos your body will eat its own fat to get energy rather than get energy from food
  • TheGreat0ne
    TheGreat0ne Posts: 11
    Options
    but isnt my bmr getting its own energy wich is burning my own calories if i was in coma because what is the 2400 mean then...? an then again if im suppose to eat my bmr then how come people have a diet at 1000-1500 calories a day wich is way lower then there bmr an once again how is it possible to lose more calories then you gain because eating 1500 or more calories a day is in possible to burn 1500 calories a day unless its excersise plus your bmr burning the calories because dont they say to much cardio isnt good? 1 hour of cardio is no more then 600 calories..
  • tarynchatfield
    tarynchatfield Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Are you sure that's your BMR number? That sounds like your TDEE which includes your level of activity.
  • thisismeraw
    thisismeraw Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options

What do you mean how is it possible?

That would be a 900 calorie deficit. To burn one pound of fat you need to burn or be at a deficit of 3500 calories. Therefore at a 900 calorie deficit per day you would be losing 1.8 pounds per week. In theory, anyway. It also depends on your body, metabolism, water intake... etc.

It's a 900 calorie deficit from the posters BMR.... you take a deficit from your TDEE though. You really shouldn't be netting under your BMR for too long as it will increase muscle loss.

OP, search online for TDEE calculator. That is how many calories you burn in a day doing your normal activity (and exercise if you factor that in).
  • Laultimacocacola
    Options
    Omg! THANK YOU! I had the same question and didn't bother asking.
    "Definition: Basal metabolic rate (BMR) refers to the minimum amount of energy -- in the form of calories -- that your body requires to complete its normal functions, such as breathing, breaking down food, and keeping your heart and brain working. Age, gender, weight, and physical activity directly effect on basal metabolic rate."

My estimated BMR is around 1695. So I eat at the very least 1695 calories a day if I don't work out or do much of anything (like I watch tv all day or when I get really into a game).