Should I start lifting heavy weights?

Options
2»

Replies

• sweetzoejane
    sweetzoejane Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info :) Could I do these programs with just an adjustable set of dumbbells? There's just no way I could fit a barbell in my tiny student room

I would not do Stronglifts then. The Nia Shanks programs are easily modified with dumbbells and body weight, and she has programs specific to both as well. You don't *have* to do a strict barbell routine. Her Beautiful Badass program is excellent (a lot of different routines, great demonstration videos, and easy to learn), but she also has a bodyweight program (http://www.niashanks.com/beautiful-badass-bodyweight-workout-guide/).

And people who think or tell you that you can only do barbell routines to get stronger or build a better body are absolutely incorrect. Yes, compound barbell exercises are fabulous, but they are not the only thing out there you can do to get the results you want and achieve your goals.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    i workout solely with dvds (p90x/body beast etc) and have seen incredible results. the program i'm currently doing involves a lot of super/progressive set training so the weights will start out low (with high reps) and i'll increase the weight and then drop the # of reps.

since increasing my weights, i've seen great results - more definition and strength and i've actually dropped more fat. i also do intense cardio but the weights definitely helped burn more fat.
  • supermodelchic
    supermodelchic Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Buy some weights and start lifting heavy, I use to powerlift and it was the best thing I've ever done, I still stick to 6-8 reps not super heavy anymore but heavy enough, I think I look great from my age, lifting weight s is the sinlge best thing a woman can do for herslef, best anti-aging tool.. goodluck
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I think I might try the body weight work outs first. As a beginner, when should I start using weights and how heavy should they be?

The best program for beginners is Stronglifts 5x5. You start with just the olympic bar with no weights on it. Go to stronglifts.com to learn about the program.

great site
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info :) Could I do these programs with just an adjustable set of dumbbells? There's just no way I could fit a barbell in my tiny student room

I would not do Stronglifts then. The Nia Shanks programs are easily modified with dumbbells and body weight, and she has programs specific to both as well. You don't *have* to do a strict barbell routine. Her Beautiful Badass program is excellent (a lot of different routines, great demonstration videos, and easy to learn), but she also has a bodyweight program (http://www.niashanks.com/beautiful-badass-bodyweight-workout-guide/).

And people who think or tell you that you can only do barbell routines to get stronger or build a better body are absolutely incorrect. Yes, compound barbell exercises are fabulous, but they are not the only thing out there you can do to get the results you want and achieve your goals.

Actually, I use adjustable dumbbells for the SL program right now. But I do also plan on getting a barbell/rack set up going since my progress will eventually be limited.