Running advice, sore knee

Options
I've been running 5K every other day (three times a week) since starting outside a week and a half ago (four runs). Now, I am pretty heavy (still) and have flimsy joints (they over stretch, are pretty loose). Last week during Body Balance class I over stretched my left knee (my leg was straight, and the knee goes 'back', making my leg too straight (that's what it feels like)). That hurts in my knee (looking at it from a different person's point of view, the pain is on the lower left side, below my kneecap), and keeps hurting a little while (I have this pretty often during lunges). Now, it doesn't hurt more or less while walking or running.
But now I am wondering. Should I keep running like I have been doing, or maybe 3K's, or rest that stupid knee for a while so I can run in my first race next week? Can any of the more experienced runners help me with a bit of advice?

Replies

• RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I won't comment of if you should rest or not, but I have sore knees from time to time. I run 3 miles every morning and some days I "feel" my knees. Other days I don't notice them. It's never been anything that has made me consider stopping. I would say that some (I hate to say soreness, but) soreness is common, but not to the point that it turns to pain. If that makes sense.
  • duckdani
    duckdani Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Friend of mine told me to watch this as I get really bad shin splints - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcnAXw47nMw
    I've heard this a few times about a rolling pin - he does it and said it works great. Might help!
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    BamaBreezeNSaltAire Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    Strengthen your hips. It's where most knee pain begins and ends. I had IT syndrome and tried everything. Then I read and read until I figured out that my muscles needed strengthening and my hips definitely needed it so I added weight training. No more pain and it made all the difference in the world!
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    It is up to you. If it feels like you could run, then I would do what you are thinking and maybe knock the mileage down. Besure to stretch before and after real good, and maybe follow R.I.C.E. (Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) after each run until your knee feels as though it has healed.

If you are worried about impact, you could swap out the running for some cross-training until healed as well. That way you are keeping the aerobic fitness, just allowing your leg to heal. So maybe a bike or an elliptical until it feels better (icing after wards as well with these).
  • HelenDootson
    HelenDootson Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Keep running!!!
    I suffer from pain in one knee during squats, lunges etc - But I have never suffered whilst running. I started running at about 280lbs and have not looked back
    Check your form when the pain hits, for me it is usually a knee over toes or at a very slight wrong angle that causes this and the lighter you get the less you will struggle.
    Enjoy xx
  • Montarosa456
    Montarosa456 Posts: 133
    Options
    Okay I'm not expert but here's another idea...change your trainers?
    How old are they? You may be over or under pronouncing and being correctly assessed and having the correct footwear can prevent this... :)
  • ms1978
    ms1978 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Also invest in a pair of running shoes specific to the way you run...I used to have knee and lower back pain after long runs and now I don't even notice my knees or back =) Don't get me wrong, like a previous poster said...I still get "soreness," but your body will tell you if it's something you can push through or if it's more serious and you need to rest!!
  • divinenanny
    divinenanny Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice everybody!

I took a rest day yesterday and started keeping the knee warm (because I read warm = more blood = more healing). I've always had painful knees too, and a reumatologist once assured me it is all muscle, not bone, and that I couldn't damage anything. Probably not quite true, but good to remember. The hip strength comment is probably true. None of my joint feel strong, and I am sure my hips aren't either. Before losing weight I used to have the feeling that they could "pop-out" at any second, which is what my shoulders do too. Probably not quite true, but it does say something about my muscles.

My shoes are brand new, and were fitted at a running store (with video analyses and everything). I think it is a combination of a lot of activity (I work out nearly every day, switching between Yoga/Pilates/Tai Chi, (Body-) weight training and running) and of getting used to running on asphalt as opposed to treadmills. Unfortunately there are no cross-training tracks (or woods or fields) to run in where I live (I just moved there, and am glad to have found these walking paths, but it is all asphalt all the way)

My post on another forum led to the reaction "When in doubt, wait it out". Your posts have made me more confident. I think I am going on a short (3K or so) and flat run tomorrow, and try 5K again this weekend.

Yay for running!
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere that if some muscles are stronger than others in your legs it can cause an imbalance and cause pain so if you do leg weights make sure you train both quads and hamstrings evenly and the rest of your legs. I love barbell squats I find after a good leg day and some rest my legs feel stronger when I run again! and it could be your shoes too I have a slight sore knee at the moment because my shoes were so old and not supporting me anymore and since I swapped my shoes I noticed its getting better and my mileage is going up back to normal. I also read that you should run up and down hills to build strength in your legs on different gradients instead of just running on flat concrete or on the treadmill. In the end listen to your body it knows best!