Drinking Alcohol

Options

Replies

• BhanGoes
    BhanGoes Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    shots, or if you wanna just have your wine or beer, just limit yourself to one or two and work it into your goals. I have never kid myself by saying im gonna stop drinking, thats just a joke. You deserve to enjoy it when you want to!

I politely beg to differ. The whole "I deserve it" mentality is what got some of us in this mess in the first place. I "deserved" that ice cream, and burrito, and margarita, and so on. If you're dedicated to wellness, then perhaps it's less about *rewarding* oneself (again... coming from a girl with a complicated relationship with food and alcohol) and more about enjoying the best glass of wine you can afford.

At that point it's less about the lowest-calorie buzz we "deserve" and more of a healthy relationship with a cultural norm that we can appreciate in moderation.
  • marcvandenberg
    marcvandenberg Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I love my wine.
    Just log them and eat les or healtier
    Or do an xtra exercise.

Red wine (not the sweet ones) and dry white wine (chardonay).
    Or cocktails with diet coke
  • Lysander666
    Lysander666 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight and drink alchohol. I lost 24kg and drank what I liked three times a week. You just go by a low weekly calorific average. Have some low days and bank calories to use on high days.
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    shots, or if you wanna just have your wine or beer, just limit yourself to one or two and work it into your goals. I have never kid myself by saying im gonna stop drinking, thats just a joke. You deserve to enjoy it when you want to!

I politely beg to differ. The whole "I deserve it" mentality is what got some of us in this mess in the first place. I "deserved" that ice cream, and burrito, and margarita, and so on. If you're dedicated to wellness, then perhaps it's less about *rewarding* oneself (again... coming from a girl with a complicated relationship with food and alcohol) and more about enjoying the best glass of wine you can afford.

At that point it's less about the lowest-calorie buzz we "deserve" and more of a healthy relationship with a cultural norm that we can appreciate in moderation.

I for one am not giving up or sacrificing anything I enjoy to lose weight. In the end we have to enjoy our lives and not feel that the lifestyle is a punishment. It's all about balances. I wanna have a beer tonight, I need to move more to earn it. So yeah rewards are the spice of life. It's the people who cut things out entirely that will have the biggest challenges maintaining in the end... JMO
  • badjuju775
    badjuju775 Posts: 47
    Options
    Here are a few of my lo-cal favorites:

Diet Coke & Southern Comfort
    Diet Coke & Vanilla Vodka
    Diet Dr. Pepper & Vanilla Vodka
    Diet Cranberry Juice & Vanilla Vodka
    Diet Cranberry Juice & Southern Comfort (Scarlet O'Hara)
    Crystal Lite Sunrise & Malibu Rum (Screwdriver)
    Crystal Lite Tea, Crystal Lite Lemonade & Vodka (Arnold Palmer)
    Crystal Lite Mojito & Malibu Rum
    Lipton Diet Green Tea & Crown Royal

Sorry... I live an hour away from the French Quarter. I adapt the drinks and party on!
  • 4_Lisa
    4_Lisa Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    For lowest calorie intake, you have to stick to hard liquor....NO DIET SODA (that stuff is crap that you should eradicate from your life!), use club soda for a mixer and fresh lemon/lime.
    Does the lime/lemon cut out the bitterness of club soda? Not a huge fan of it but this is interesting to me..

Yes it does, really any juice would work, just make sure it's low calorie and not high in sugar.
  • RushBabe214
    RushBabe214 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I will politely disagree with the "no good alcoholic drinks when it comes to losing weight" theory.

I've lost 12 pounds so far, all while drinking a glass or two of red wine a night. On the weekends, I might even enjoy a martini or some bourbon. As long as I stay within my calorie goals for the day, I'm good.

Cheers! :drinker:

That is great, and your results are exactly what I was speaking to as far as moderation goes and weight loss is all about in vs out.

However, it is pretty well documented that alcohol slows fat oxidation. So, what I was trying to convey is that there isn't a magic alcoholic drink that doesn't affect weight loss at all. Additionally, (obviously not an issue with you) for a lot of people 1 drink turns into 5 and a giant plate of cheese fries!

At any rate, I am a big believer in eating what you like and just being moderate and staying within calorie limits. Otherwise, you feel like you are getting cheated!

I agree with moderation. And to me, it's a trade-off. I enjoy my wine so I would rather drink a glass than have a cookie, for example. :smile:
  • Jackson4590
    Jackson4590 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    I don't drink during the week and end up having a binge on the weekend. It's funny because you can see my weight loss chart go down and then spike every monday morning. Life it too short to not have fun as long as you are eating right.
  • mocarski002
    mocarski002 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I gave up alcohol for the first 2 months I started my journey for the second time. Best decision I made. I was like you no kids, but after a long day of work I loved to have a glass or two of wine to end my day. Some days I had three. I came to the realization that alcohol was not helping. After 2 months I gradually let my self have a beer or glass of wine. I only drink really only on the weekends. Occasionally during the week depending on whats going on. I actually find that I don't enjoy drinking as much anymore lol.
  • wanttolose40lbs
    wanttolose40lbs Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    My drink is Bacardi and water with a lemon, the best part is, I don't get hangovers from it. A lot of people don't like it, but it works for me.
  • meghan_elizabeth
    meghan_elizabeth Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I usually stick with wine or beer, so I know how many calories I'm consuming. You can eyeball how many ounces of wine are poured into a wine glass, and you know that approx 16oz of beer goes into a pint glass....but with hard liquor, you aren't exactly sure the ratio of liquor to soda, so it is a little harder to judge (for me)

So I'll have like 2 glasses of wine, and have water in between so I don't get dehydrated (alcohol dehydrates me pretty quickly)
  • jqh23
    jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions. Thinking of getting one of those crystal light liquid bottles and ordering a shot with a glass of water.. drink the water, add the shot, use the liquid.
  • Amandatorie
    Amandatorie Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Overall I have 3 rules when it comes to drinking:

1) Nothing too sweet, because that will just make me used to sweets and want more sweets during the rest of the time. I have had to break myself of the sweets habit. Once you "break" your tasetbuds of being used to all the sugar, other things start to taste a lot better. The idea of a vodka soda was disgusting to me a few years ago, but now I drink soda water regularly and have no problems with a vodka soda (usually with a lime wedge or two). Personally, I won't go near something so artificial and processed sugar as Rose's Lime Juice. It's really just all sugar. For wine, I try to stick with something a little drier than I was used to. No roses, or sweet whites.

2) Try to drink as much water or non-caloric, not alcoholic drinks as I can between the alcohol. It lets me realize I really don't need that next drink, and also keeps me hydrated and stops me from getting a hangover (so you can get in a good workout the next day!).

3) Honestly, are you drinking because you like the taste, or because you want the effects of alcohol? Pay attention, and choose your drinks accordingly. If I know I'm looking to get a little drunk, I'll have a couple stiff drinks. If I'm just having one socially, I'll maybe have something with a little more sugar/calories in it, because I know I'm only having one. If you're looking to get drunk and are drinking cheap margaritas somewhere, you could easily be consuming 500 calories a glass...and a few thousand calories in a couple hours! But one margarita that you worked into your daily plan? Much less of a problem.
  • ladyphoto
    ladyphoto Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    this totally. I stopped drinking about two years ago- not completely- but only do it once in a while now- I found the same thing was true for me. Well said.

Two of my girlfriends and I took an alcohol abstinence pact. We are on Day 24 today and I can honestly tell you it caused me to take a long hard look at the behavior I was permitting (the end-of-the-rough-day glass of wine... or two...).

After just the first weekend, I really didn't even think too much about drinking, except when playfully joking with friends that I can't wait for that first beer.

In case this provides any perspective, in just 28 days, I will have saved

125 calories per glass
    x 28 days
    3500 calories 'saved' in one month

$15 per bottle
    x 3 bottles per week
    $180 saved in one month

I also found some surprising side-effects, like vastly increased productivity in the evenings. Instead of sitting down to unwind with a glass (or two...) of wine each evening, I keep moving right up till bedtime. Spring cleaning gets done during the week, instead sucking up weekend time. Of course, I also sleep much better, am losing weight faster, feel 100% for every morning workout, etc. After that first week of GOD I WANT SOME WINE there have really only been benefits.

I would encourage everyone, even the casual/social drinkers out there, to stop completely for one month. It might shed light on a more complicated relationship with alcohol. And at the very worst, it can't hurt your wellness routine.

Give it a shot. (Food for thought: If you *can't* then you might really have a problem.)
  • Nixipop
    Nixipop Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure whether you'd enjoy but I found a new fave this weekend! It's sort of a Fosters shandy - it's called Radler and it's Foster's mixed with cloudy lemon - only 60 calories a bottle! I was over the moon to realise! I had 2 on friday night to unwind and it was lovely. x
  • BajaDreamin333
    BajaDreamin333 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I struggled with this one for years. Looking back I'm certain alcohol sabotoged every weight loss plan I ever tried. So although quitting altogether isn't a reasonable option for most people, I finally had to cut it out all together.

The downsides of alcohol are many. Calories - duh, there's a lot! And they're empty, so you can eat up a good portion of your alottment and get zero nutrition. I am not a nutritionist, but i do know alcholol turns to sugar almost immediatly. So if you're not going for a run after 3 glasses of wine, it's going to go straight to fat calories.

One of the worst side effects, in my opinion, is it makes me retain water and I puff up like a marshmallow. I've seen pictures of my face when I drank, and that was one bloated head. And if your face is bloated, you know the rest of you is too.

Finally, it takes away all reason - I would always say "I'm going to drink, not eat" at a party, and after a glass of wine, all control went out the window. Wine goes so well with cheese! Beer goes so well with chips! Tequilla goes so well with spicy food! You get the picture. Before I knew it, the "feeling no pain" me also had no concern of calories.

Again, quitting is not realistic for most people, but I had to make a complete break. I immediatly felt better, more energy, less sluggish. And yeah, I miss it. But really a club soda with a twist is just fine at a cocktail party, and I know I'm not going to go crazy at the buffet. Go for just one, and have water or sodium free sparkling water as your mixer. There is no "diet" alchohol. Sigh.....
  • downinaggieland98
    downinaggieland98 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Light beer is the way to go, if it is absolutely necessary to drink. You will still need to make sure you get your macro's in check, not including the carbs from the alcohol, otherwise you're weight loss will come from muscle loss.

Anyways,
    Beck's Light has 64 calories and 3.9 grams of carbs
    Milwaukee's Best Light has 98 calories and 3.5 carbs and is 4.5% abv

I personally think this is a waste of calories. If I am going to use any calories on beer, it's going to be GOOD beer.

I love gin, usually go for a martini or just a little over ice. No way I am giving up the occasional drink.
  • Hi_Im_Jess
    Hi_Im_Jess Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    :happy: Whiskey on the rocks
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    in my opinion, it's a combination of quality AND quantity when it comes to alcohol.

alcohol has a lot of good qualities that can help you. for one, it relaxes you. it can take the edge off after a long day. it has anti-oxidents and something or other that helps fight cholesterol.

but there is such a thing as too much of a good thing. if you need a couple of beers at the end of the day to unwind, thats not good.

i used to come home from work and have a beer or two to relax, then half a bottle of wine with dinner, and a scotch or two before bed. probably about 1000 calories in booze alone. and for a while i was getting into cocktails like old fashions and manhattans, and sidecars. lots of sugar.

i started to change some habits. i like alcohol, so cutting it out completely wasn't something i wanted to do. but i started cutting back. i was going to have a max of two drinks a day. i wouldn't mix alcohol (i.e. if i had a beer when i got home, i wouldn't have wine with dinner). no more cocktails, except when watching an episode of mad men. i wouldn't get started before dinner that often, because i like having a glass of wine with dinner, depending on what i'm eating. and i'd only drink normal regular beer. no wimpy micholobe light.

and if i know i'm going out on the weekend, i'll make sure i get a good work out in, and not drink much during the week.

but remember, i'm a 225 lb 6' 3" guy. i can afford to drink more than a lot of people. especially the ladies.
  • YvetteDoriGreen
    Options
    When I was last on a calorie counting diet I reached my target weight and never went without the odd glass of wine. Just make sure it's within your calorie allowance. If I was going out for a special occasion and knew I'd get through a whole bottle of wine I'd just go to the gym and made sure I burned the extra 500 cals. It didn't stop my progress. You've got to let your hair down every now and again, if you deny yourself every treat you'll soon give up.