Working out with an anxiety disorder ... and no space.

Options
2»

Replies

• short_nerdy_lady
    Options
    Add me if you like. I am a chronic anxiety sufferer
  • RCMPWannaBe
    RCMPWannaBe Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would suggest seeing about being medicated if that's an avenue you haven't already tried. Such a debilitating anxiety leads to a poor quality of life, and so it's really important you focus on your mental health.

Your fitness will be difficult to do anything about if you are unable to go outside or go to a gym, so I would focus first on nutritional health. Work on calorie intake and eating clean - simple things like these can also sometimes alleviate symptoms of anxieties and depression.

Feel free to add me! I'm a first year psych student (so obviously I know all the things!... jk), but I'd be more than happy to share whatever I learn with you that might help. :)

I wanted to amend my post - I saw belatedly that you've given up on the drugs. Even though they are a part of your weight gain, your doctor or psychiatrist might be able to prescribe a different brand or dosage with less severe side-effects. There are lots of different kinds!

On top of that, definitely find forums or even people on here who share the same anxieties - they'll be the ones who can offer the best suggestions, as they know where you've been.
  • sdbart
    sdbart Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    This is from NerdFitness.com. It is called the 20min hotel room workout. Take a look and see if this could help you in your dorm.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2010/12/20/the-20-minute-hotel-workout/
  • eringrace10
    eringrace10 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    First of all, anxiety attacks suck big time, and find it really commendable your wanting to work though/around this. The stairs are a brilliant idea. No idea what your uni is like, but considering your counsellor it may be possible to see if the uni is willing to lend an empty classroom for you to work. You'd be surprised how understanding and accommodating unis can be. Hope you find something that's works for you and good luck.
  • getfitcharles
    Options
    Yeah, I relate so bad to this. :(
    I honestly just walked a lot more. It didn't look like I was trying to exercise purposefully, which I feared people would make judgements about. A lot of the time if I'm watching TV or something I just walk back and forth in my room, though I still get nervous that people can hear me moving about. :/
  • estrange22
    estrange22 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    have your therapist contact your RA and see if there is an empty dorm room or any other room that can be locked from the inside that you can use for specified periods of time...then you can go in, lock the door, and get your fitness on!
  • kcragg
    kcragg Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    you could get up really early in the morning and go for a walk or run when there is no-one else about. I go for runs really early 6.00 am and I have never seen anyone else about. Or like others have said body weight exercises don't require much space neither does working out with dumb bells.

I am sure when you start exercising regularly it will have a positive effect to your whole mind and body, good luck:)
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry you have to go through this everyday, I'm sure it makes life very difficult :(

Some suggestions: Have you thought about running outside early in the morning? :) There won't be as many people around and depending on the town you live in, you might not see any one! If you are self conscious, maybe try walking the routes you are planning on running to find the best route with the least amount of traffic?

Do your roommates know about your anxiety? if they know and are understanding then perhaps they could agree to leave the dorm for an hour each day to allow you to exercise alone?

Also, if you call or email your local gym they may be able to help suggest some times that the gym has no members. For example some gyms could be dead at 10 am, but extremely busy at 11:30am. Knowing what times they are busy will allow you to avoid it during those times so hopefully avoid an anxiety attack.

Best of luck!!
  • Hoosier_Kat
    Hoosier_Kat Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I, too, suffer from anxiety (PTSD, OCD, GAD, and Agorophobia) as well as chronic depression. I have also tried multiple meds and have had severe complications from them all, including increased suicidal ideation. I'm currently doing the therapy without the meds and focusing on CBT with some ERP. It does help, but it is a long, slow battle and definitely hard work.

I agree with an earlier post that mentioned yoga. That has been a huge help to me on some of my most anxious days. I love Ashley Turner's DVD by Element ("Yoga for Stress Relief and Flexibility). It definitely helps calm the anxiety and build mindfulness, which is critical when dealing with an anxiety disorder as it helps fight both the autopilot and the hyperarousal/hypervigilance.

As far as cardio and strength training, I use a set of hand weights and do simple strength training with those as well as basic body resistance. I only need a small area large enough for my body to lie on the floor. For cardio, I use a recumbent bike, but I understand that you probably don't have access to one. I agree with others who say that you may be able to use the stairwell or possibly an empty lounge or classroom if you can find a faculty member or RA who you trust who can help you out. the cardio helps with the depression and sometimes with the anxiety, but other times, the extra burst of energy I get from the cardio can actually amp up the anxiety if it's already bad. Just be prepared for that and try to remind yourself so that you're not alarmed by it. It will pass.

I've also found that diet helps a lot. I've added B complex to help with mood stability. Increasing my protein has also helped to balance my mood to some extent (as it helps to keep more stable blood sugar levels.

Wishing you the best of luck in whatever you try, and reminding you that whatever you try, even if it doesn't work out for whatever reason, is a step in the right direction as it lets you know what works and what doesn't which helps to pinpoint a route that works for you.
  • Erikalynne18
    Erikalynne18 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I have a fairly severe anxiety disorder and have only recently gained any control. Can you find an empty classroom on campus? Or perhaps a study room at the library? There are plenty of empty rooms at a university; you just have to get creative.

More importantly, though - I can tell you that it is possible to overcome your anxiety. Maybe not entirely, but to the point that you are no longer jumping out of your skin with racing thoughts and insecurities. Yoga is what helped me the most. I learned to relax, to let my brain just empty itself, to focus on my breathing and nothing more. I heavily suggest that you give it a try. I'm not great at yoga, and I have to modify a lot of the poses. But it has helped me so much mentally.

Best of luck to you.

OH this would be excellent as well!! My campus always had empty rooms especially during the evenings. If you are able to email student services perhaps they could help you to find a room? The campus enforcement would just need to leave the door unlocked and you'd be set. You could even simply call them or email them once you are done to ask them to lock it up again, that way you have privacy and would not even have to see them :)
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options

I fear judgement more than I fear death and that is not hyperbole. It does not matter if "no one is really judging me," I assume they are and it launches me right off the deep end. I cannot work out in front of people. I cannot make friends to work out with -- I can't make friends in general.

I completely get it. I dont think I suffered the panic to the degree you did but I was certainly petrified of exercising in front of other people and I did have my fair share of panic attacks in other situations.

First, the good news. Exercise helped IMMENSELY and almost IMMEDIATELY with my anxiety and panic. You can't afford to NOT do it. Also, stay away from refined sugars and caffeine. The sugars pushed me from mild anxiety to full blown panic.

My solution was to walk in a park/nature preserve that was close to my home. I used headphones and just staired at the ground 3 feet in front of me. When I felt the panic come on I just focused on my breathing and just let it happen. I knew I was going to freak but somehow giving myself permission and reminding myself it was a physiological thing helped.

Start small. Start by simply driving to the park. Next time, drive to the park and step out and look around. Next time, dress in your workout clothes, drive to the park, get out and walk a short distance and go home. Slowly increase your distance.

Small victories mean so much. Just keep progressing no matter the pace.

I was a 300 pound basket case with few friends and very depressed and anxious/panicy. Now I am down to 216 and the emotional stuff has leveled out. Pretty much normal now.

It seems like a gigantic hurdle now but your brain can be trained. Panic and anxiety create paths in your brain that become ruts as they are reinforced. However, those paths can be circumvented and rewritten allowing the old ruts to fade into history.

Blaze some trails in your brain and in the park.

The bad news. It may take a little time but not as long as you may thing,. In one year you will be one year older anyway. Might as well feel better.
  • healthyeating555
    Options
    I have a similar disorder but its all physically related. My blood pressure situation prevents me from food shopping or any kind of shopping for an extended period of time. This problem became noticeable only during the last 4 yrs . I feel bad for you . Its not easy going through this dilemma
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    Are there steps in your dorm? You could start there, just up and down in the stairwell (I used to do this). Or focus on walking. You may not feel so self-conscious. EVERYONE walks!

I too have dealt with panic attacks and they are horrible. I know it's a terrible catch-22, but exercise (running and yoga) is the thing that has helped me the most with dealing with them, aside from medication which I no longer take.

Taking care of yourself is the best thing you can do for yourself, and exercise is a necessary part of that. *Hugs!* You can do this!!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Very little space required (low impact ... won't upset your neighbors): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjduJjO1pLg&feature=related
    and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L2G8mi_2beU

DVDs available at Wal-Mart, Target, etc.

Deck of cards workout: Hearts = cardio, Diamonds = upper, Spades = lower, Clubs = abs. Play: draw the 8 of hearts - do 8 jumping jacks, draw 10 of diamonds do 10 push ups .... etc.

Workout above is military ..... also military style: Gin Miller - Cramped Quarters, this one is hard to find.
  • psicocat
    psicocat Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    hi, i haven't read all the replies so maybe this has been said, i made a step from big books tired in a pillowcase and do 100 steps as often as i could :) i was stuck with young one and did well on this :)
  • tenintwenty
    tenintwenty Posts: 92
    Options
    I have really bad SAD. I run, outside, by myself, on the most desolate trail I can find. Sooooo relaxing. Or, I go to a boxing class with really loud music. I find I can interact with people pretty well when: 1) we have a specific task to do together, and 2) it's too loud to talk.
  • SashaMegan
    SashaMegan Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I like to go jogging in the evening when people are dining or later (sometimes it's already dark). There are not many people out at that time so it helps me. Otherwise I often feel too anxious to go, so I'd rather do it late than not at all.
    I hope you'll get better eventually :flowerforyou: