Finally hit my plateau...sigh

Options
So, I've been on MFP for almost 100 days now, with really good success--28 lbs. down so far! I have heard about getting to a point where people hit a plateau, but I hoped (wishful thinking) that it wouldn't happen to me. Today I weighed in, and for the first time, I saw zero weight loss. It was really frustrating. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get my weight loss started again?

Replies

• shellbell8406
    Options
    Anyone.....?:ohwell:
  • Run4Me2Day
    Run4Me2Day Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    Change things up! Try something new...if you are using weights bump them up a little...if you are doing cardio, pick up the pace a little...or change to weights if you are doing all cardio...confuse your body! Sometime that is what helps me. My body gets used to doing the same thing day after day if I don't and I quit seeing results...I also don't focus much on the number on the scale. The way my clothing fits, the reading on the tape measure, and how I feel are a better testimony as to how I am doing.

Hope that helps a bit.

:wink:
  • Shelby1582
    Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    how long has it been since you stepped on the scale and didn't see a change? Re weigh yourself in a few days, maybe you have lost weight but you just have some water weight or something. Weight can fluctuate 2-3 pounds per day
  • Nah113
    Nah113 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I was stuck on a plateau for a month. Here is how I broke through:

1. What was keeping me stuck? It had to be calories consumed consumed exceeded calories used; there is nothing else that will prevent weight loss unless you're on a medication or have a medical condition that disrupts the body's weight management mechanism..

2. I considered what I was eating. I was consuming 80 calories less daily than I was when I started, per MFP recommendations. Still something was not right.

3. I made an adjustment by changing the basic setting on my profile. I switched from "moderately active" to "sedentary." This dropped my calories by an additional 200 per day. That is my new base line so, any activity or exercise is calculated on the sedentary base number rather than an arbitrary setting that may or may not correctly identify my daily expenditure.

It only took a week after changing the setting to break through the plateau; I've dropped an additional 5 lbs since the reset.

Give that a try and see what happens.
  • chymerra
    chymerra Posts: 212
    Options
    are you still losing inches? that's most important.

how i broke through my plateau: i had to start working out even harder and doing doubles (workout in the AM and then PM) and also really increasing my weights