Spinning...pros/cons?

Options
I am considering spinning classes at my local Y. I don't know too much about it. Anyone have pros/cons that they would like to share?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    You butt will be sore from the seat if you're not used to cycling, but you get a good burn. I never quite had the adjusting and stuff explained properly to me, so I never knew if I was on the right tension/resistance or not. Definitely get there early, chat with the instructor about proper seat height/adjustments and the resistance settings on the bike. Be prepared for wobbly jelly legs afterward, too!
  • NYCMom
    NYCMom Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Bring a towel and large bottle of water. You are going to sweat like crazy. It's great for your hips and butt. I spin twice a week, didn't lose any weight but went down two pant sizes. As said above, get there early and talk to the instructor about where your seat and handlebars should be.
  • Nishi2013
    Nishi2013 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    SPINNING ROCKS!!!!

PROS
    I lost 50lbs in a year and I owe a huge part of that to spinning.
    Strengthen leg musvles
    Great core workout
    Improve lung capacity
    Pure fun

CONS
    Butt might hurt for first couple times. If it continues ti hurt you can buy a gel seat cover
    Addictive activity :-D

WHAT YOU NEED
    Waterbottle
    Towel
    Good attitude ;-)
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    pros and cons? it's riding a bicycle. stop 'considering' and just go sign up.

tip: get there early your first day and ask the instructor help you set up the bike properly for your body.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Be careful!

1362420762_dad_spins_kid_on_the_floor.gif
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    What everyone else said is spot on. Also go at your own pace. Spinning is as hard as you make it and is completely adjustable in terms of difficulty. Stay in the saddle if you need to and you control the tension. So just enjoy and push yourself, but don't worry about anyone else taking the class.
  • jdatillo
    jdatillo Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Love spinning... great cardio workout that burns calories without all the pressure on your knees. The instructor should show you how to set-up your bike. During the class the instructor will tell you when to add resistance. Do it at your pace. If your legs are burning stand up it helps.
  • RachelHoffman0709
    RachelHoffman0709 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Great tips everybody! Thank you!! :smile: :happy:
  • RachelHoffman0709
    RachelHoffman0709 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Be careful!

1362420762_dad_spins_kid_on_the_floor.gif

HAHA, thanks. I will keep that in mind.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Buy padded shorts/seat cover because your behind will hurt

Bring water/towel

Get their early to talk with the instructor

Have fun :)

I go to a spin class on Saturdays, that will be taken away in summer. I'm hoping to find a day that I can go, that will suffice until I can pick it back up in the winter/spring on Saturdays.
  • salcha76
    salcha76 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    show up 10 min early....get comfy....remember...no one sees your dial but you...if they have it cranked up to 10...you can do what you can do.....it gets easier....push thru the tush ache following...it's like an underwire bra...after 3 days you are used to it & wouldn't change a thing....the ache is worth the burn...the music & the instructor make a differance as well....do it do it...take dif instructors if you can....enjoy yourself, work hard, it's a blast!
  • sarajeanelles
    sarajeanelles Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's the best workout! My husband and I both started a few years ago before our wedding. He's a 6 foot 4, 260lb guy and he even loved it and we both lost weight. I'm still addicted to it and I go 4-6 times a week. It's great cardio that's easy on the knees, I even did it 5 days a week throughout my entire pregnancy, I was on the bike 5 hours before my daughter was born,lol. Bring water, a towel and make sure the instructor sets up your bike for you the first time. Your butt will hurt, but keep going back and it will pass. It's fun, just do it!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    It's A VERY GOOD workout. I took Spin 2twice a week for a year and really saw the fat melt from my thighs.

Get yourself padded pants or put a thick sanitary pad on the outside of your underwear.