Lean Mass Gain - Are These Numbers Realistic?

Options
c_ansari
c_ansari Posts: 57 Member
I bought a scale that calculates body fat percentage using bioelectrical impedance analysis (BI). I know that these scales aren't the most reliable for these measurements, but several reviews I read before buying my scale said that this model's results were often close to their body fat test results done with calipers.

From what I understand lean body mass is my weight minus the fat.

With that said, in the last 15 weeks I've lost 57.5lbs and 11.7% body fat, causing my lean mass go from 159lbs to 182.5lbs.

I did start swimming about 3x/week around the beginning of this time period and started biking in the last 2 weeks, but I don't imagine that being enough to put on 23.5lbs of muscle.

Do these numbers sound realistic or is something else going on? What can they be attributed to? Muscle gain?

Replies

• jalloggio
    jalloggio Posts: 141
    Options
    23 lbs of muscle in 15 weeks is just about impossible unless your juicing.

Those scales have a 5-8% difference than what your actual bf is so it's not a very good indicator of your bf whether its a good one or not.

If your a member of a gym ask the trainer to give you a 3 or 5 point fat caliber measurement the difference with those is only 3% it will be a much better indicator if the trainer is a good one he should do it free of charge.
  • darkguardian419
    darkguardian419 Posts: 1,302 Member
    Options
    Scales of that sort are incredibly inaccurate when it comes to estimating BF%. Jalloggio is right, try to get another form of measurement, be it calipers, bod pod, etc etc.
  • c_ansari
    Options
    I should've mentioned that my body fat was going down gradually. I didn't drop 11.7% from one measurement to the next. I was losing about 0.8%/week. If my scale was off, it was at least consistently off.
  • c_ansari
    Options
    Anymore thoughts?
  • c_ansari
    Options
    ttt