You Fat!

Options
257_Lag
257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
Just a story...

I own a business and moved it about 10 miles in 2004. I have this customer that used to come in frequently but after we moved only comes in about once a year and gets a large order. I don't go out in the store very often. So somewhere around 2010 or so I see this guy in the store for the first time in about 6 years.

Now I am not going to mention anything about this person at the risk of being called racist but I am going to say his English isn't very good and I am going to quote him word for word.

He looks up sees me and with a huge smile says "Oh! I not see you in long time, you fat now!"

Fast forward to about 2 weeks ago. I have been on MFP for 3 months and have lost 15-20 lbs depending on the day. I know it's not much considering I am still 240 but I am happy about it and the people I work with say it shows, especially in the stomach. One of the employees comes back and tells me that the guy is in the store and I should go out and see if he says anything so suck it in a little and stroll out to the store.

And he says "Oh! It's you! You still fat!"

True story! Including all the years between comments :laugh:

Replies

• TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    I don't get it..
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    You been here four hour! You go now!
  • NutellaAddict
    NutellaAddict Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Then he bowed.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    Things that make you go....Hmmm?
  • MidwestAngel
    MidwestAngel Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Things that make you go....Hmmm?
    Uhhhh uhhhh, na na, na na.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Now I am not going to mention anything about this person at the risk of being called racist but I am going to say his English isn't very good and I am going to quote him word for word.

tumblr_lvzoffu8n51r5u67do1_400.png
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    so this is a thread about things people have said to you in broken English?

I went to the liquor store and showed my ID to the clerk who did a double take and looked at me harder.

"This is you?"

"Um...yeah...it's kind of old, but it's me."

He thought for a minute, then gestured to my face and said, "You get better."
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    When I used to work at a popular ethnic grocery store in my area, there was this sweet young Indian lady who expressed compliments frequently, but in strange ways.

I worked there for 6 months, then took a break for school and came back about a year later. I had lost about 30 lbs since last seeing her. She beamed at me and said "Oh, look at you! You squeeze so much! If you just squeeze a bit more then you will be really skinny!"

I am still not sure exactly what that meant :laugh:
  • jeanywren
    jeanywren Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    To some people with limited English, they pick the only word that they can make fit. And........to them maybe they dont know they are being insensitive. Been there, so it does take you back when they say something like that. A girl I worked with asked another when her baby was due!!! The chubby one says "I am not pregnant, just fat" and laughed it off fortunately.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Was the store owner black?
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

I went to the liquor store and showed my ID to the clerk who did a double take and looked at me harder.

"This is you?"

He was right.....You're like a fine wine.
  • iWaffle
    iWaffle Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options

"This is you?"

Ha. You picture say me so sick.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options

Holy crap I nearly just choked on my fried chicken and waffles!
  • Anthonydaman
    Anthonydaman Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    lost in translation
  • dirtnap63
    dirtnap63 Posts: 1,387 Member
    Options

"This is you?"

The same thing happened to me with an Asian hooker once. Except she didn't gesture to my face.
  • sugarandspice27
    sugarandspice27 Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Welll not to be a party pooper, but 15-20 pounds on someone larger really isn't going to make all that much of a difference. To the rest of the world, we are still fat!
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    You not funny
  • Penny427
    Penny427 Posts: 166 Member
    Options

I just like this picture :bigsmile: :laugh:
  • boatsie77
    boatsie77 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    ...did a nun, a rabbi and a guy with a duck on his head also come into your store--if so, I already heard that joke.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Was the store owner black?

Wait, I thought SHE was the store owner??