Best Exercise to burn fat and gain muscle

Options
13»

Replies

• _Resolve_
    _Resolve_ Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Ive been doing cardio 3-5 times per week, 30-40 minutes, 30 seconds as fast as possible followed by a minute of moderate. On the days i dont do cardio i work with a kettlebell, the kettlebell will burn some serious calories 600 +/- for per 30/m.. of course calories burnt depends on your weight.

hope this helps
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    My Fiance and I are fighting about this, I believe more cardio is better because we do still have more fat to lose. He thinks lifting and light cardio is better, because you still burn when your muscles are repairing themself. Thoughts?

Diet for weight control (fat burn), exercise for fitness. Diet is the most efficient and effective way of introducing a calorie deficit...exercise is very inefficient.

Your fitness plan should incorporate both strength and cardio and you should have fitness goals independent of calorie burn and weight loss goals. In a deficit, strength training is very important to preserve LBM and thus your metabolism...more LBM you have, the faster your metabolism...the more you can eat...plus, you just look better at goal weight. Cardio is important to your heart health and cardiovascular system health...it is weight lifting for your heart.

In RE to weight training burning more calories over the course of repair, he is right...which is why lifting is even more awesome when you're at maintenance. I'm there now and I continue to lean out and lose fat but maintain my weight with 2700-2800 calories per day...it's friggin' awesome.