Question about unexpected hunger....

Options
Question for those of you with more experience....I'm pretty consistent/habitual with food (which means this is great now that I've changed my eating but obviously was detrimental before) and the last three months I've been in a great groove. Today I am literally starving. I wasn't expecting to wake up hungry so when I was I ate a bigger breakfast than normal and still after mid-morning snack I'm hungry and have been all day. So it got me thinking....is it possible I didn't eat enough yesterday and this is just the outward signs.......or is it possible that the running I've been doing is impacting my hunger (about three weeks in of consistent running)? Just curious if one day can do this, if it's just the impact of running on me, or if it's just a fluke and everyone has hungry days :) Thanks in advance

Replies

• waterfaeriegirl
    Options
    This is my question for the day too! I am also on week three of running consistantly. I ate all my calories yesterday and ate back my exercise calories. I was a little hungry at bedtime so I had some tea. This morning I am ravernous. It's not even noon and I have eaten my breakfast, lunch, and a snack. I drank water and was still hungry. I finally ate some bell peppers and that seems to have calmed it some. I think if I am still this hungry at dinner, I will have to trust my body and eat a larger meal.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I've been really hungry today, and I didn't exercise yesterday. I think some days I'm just more hungry than others. I'm working on planning out my meals for the rest of the day so that I don't go overboard.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    at least I know I'm not alone....I have to admit that I don't eat back all my exercise calories but try really hard to make sure I'm never below my daily calories without exercise....I am going to try to get closer to eating back all of them but I will say my goal is 1400 and I average 300 calories of exercise and will always eat my 1400 but will leave maybe 200 calories of my exercise at the end of my day uneaten :( Gotta get better about that but honestly thought I'd have noticed the hunger before now....i don't know but wanted someone to throw out some "food for thought" (HA pardon the pun but I think I just cracked myself up)::blushing:
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    I have my daily calories set at my TDEE, which is 1694. I don't always eat all those calories, but I know I can go up to that amount without gaining. If I'm having one of my HUNGRY days, I can eat all that and maybe even a little more and I'll be okay for the weekly average.
  • rowanwood
    rowanwood Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I find this happens to me if I eat too many calorie dense foods. Like say a protein bar (which I never eat anymore) vs a cup of greek yogurt with fruit or as a dip for veggies. Same calories, totally different effect on my body.
  • BobcatGirl110
    BobcatGirl110 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I find this happens to me if I eat too many calorie dense foods. Like say a protein bar (which I never eat anymore) vs a cup of greek yogurt with fruit or as a dip for veggies. Same calories, totally different effect on my body.

This may be exactly it....at the end of the day I just "fill" the calories I have left so I'm going calorie-dense rather than nutrient-dense....may need to reconsider how much fruit , cheese, veggies I have around for snacks :)